GA into KLGA??

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
im based at KHZL and live a few minutes from field. Today I had to drive into Manhattan. 84th st area. Weeks ago told the wife let’s fly into KHPN and take the train down. It’s about a 50 min flight. 10 min Uber to train station. Train is another 30-40 min. So all in best 2 hours to get to destination via GA. She hates the plane, I see it as the answer to world peace. So away in the car we go. Now usual time to drive is about two hours- at best no traffic. Today I spent more time stopped in traffic than round trip flight would be. It didn’t take long for me, and kids to review how long the 182 would take. Grand total for trip was just about 4 hours!!!
Thoughts.. While KHPN is nice and not close but much better then 4 hours. KLGA would be a lot better. I know the landing fee is around 125 and there is an overnight fee but do GA singles actually go in here?? Now KLGA is a 20 Min Uber to sister in laws. That landing fee is steep but 2 hours going less then 3mph.
I have to think my time and sanity is worth at least 65 bucks an hour!!!

Last edited:
Not sure exactly where you’re coming from or where you’re going, but most people go into Teterboro, and that includes 98% of corporate jets.

Land at Republic, take LIRR? I guess Westchester is the better option, though.

Not sure exactly where you’re coming from or where you’re going, but most people go into Teterboro, and that includes 98% of corporate jets.
It funny as I was driving past that exit I was thinking about it. It was shortly after that exit the standstill started, the crawl continued through the FDR. It was terrible. But a better knowledge of the train subway might make that a good option. They live on the upper east side. KHPN makes the most sense economically.

Just out of morbid curiosity, I looked at the Airnav page and saw that the FBO is over $9/gal for 100LL !?!?!?!?!?! OMG!!!
Screams GA stay away!!! Ramp fee.me lists 25 gal fuel purchase waived the handling fee of 50
Bucks. Lol doesn’t sound worth it! Pay the fee!

JFK is actually surprisingly piston heavy, right down to having better AvGas pricing than the alternatives, including TEB when I last checked.

[...] She hates the plane, I see it as the answer to world peace. [...]

This seems like a bigger problem to work through than any math about landing fees or 100LL prices. Just my 2 cents of course.

I’ve been to LGA in a single piston. You’ll have to sign up for a landing slot. There’s a lot more convenient airports to land at other than LGA

It was a few years ago now, but KJFK was fun in to fly into in a 172. Make sure to check the landing fees they vary a lot by what time you arrive. But I think ours ended up being $125.

If your destination is on 84th in Manhattan, KTEB is the answer. You still get exposed to GWB traffic risk but generally speaking it will be 30-45 min to 84th. I lived in Manhattan for years and had a place there until last year and having flown to just about every airport in the area, teterboro is by far the easiest and fastest choice. Wasting extra hours of your life with silly trains or very long Uber rides to save a few $ on 100LL or fees has always struck me as dumb.

If your destination is on 84th in Manhattan, KTEB is the answer. You still get exposed to GWB traffic risk but generally speaking it will be 30-45 min to 84th. I lived in Manhattan for years and had a place there until last year and having flown to just about every airport in the area, teterboro is by far the easiest and fastest choice. Wasting extra hours of your life with silly trains or very long Uber rides to save a few $ on 100LL or fees has always struck me as dumb.

Takes a Manhattanite to understand that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Also, I recommend meridian for FBO choice at teterboro. Very friendly folks. Yes, the gas prices are high and they won’t park you as close to the door as the guy in the gulfstream but you don’t want his bill either...

Don't forget to factor in the likely delays in taxi and takeoff from an airport like LGA. You may be #20 in line behind a bunch of airliners.
Jon

I think next time I’m going to try Teterboro. Before I make the flight I will plan on taking the trip with my CFI for a lesson first. Teterboro is short flight for me anyway. I don’t mind paying to work on some confidence in the airport and procedure.

I think next time I’m going to try Teterboro. Before I make the flight I will plan on taking the trip with my CFI for a lesson first. Teterboro is short flight for me anyway. I don’t mind paying to work on some confidence in the airport and procedure.

Best be on your A game when operating at LGA and TEB. Don't be stumbling and bumbling around like those Lear pilots who couldn't even do a simple ILS with a dogleg to the other runway in 2017.

Back