Most Affordable Flying Club?

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Im genuinely curious what the most affordable flying club around is. I learned to fly at a flight school in Atlanta. I then joined a club and thought I was getting a steal at $90/hr Hobbs for a 172/180.

I moved to Knoxville Tn and joined a fairly affordable club at Skyranch, but recently switched over to an even more affordable club in oak ridge. Rates are 55/60/80/110 a tach hour for a champ/150 Aerobat/172/182.

The biggest negative is that the field they are based at doesn’t have lights so no night flying unless you move a plane, but overall I’ve been really happy with the club and am on track to fly more hours this year than in the last 5 years of being a pilot.

So my challenge is to post here about your affordable club!

Edit: my club has a $1200 buy in and is $60 a month

Last edited:
Ours is pretty good. 65/month plus 100 per tach hour wet on 172

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are pretty good. Even though where I’m at down here in Chattanooga at 1A0, which isn’t technically a club, the rates are $90 (152) and $120 (172)

The Arrow is $165 and the Super Decathlon is also $165. All billed on Hobbs.

Last edited:
Im genuinely curious what the most affordable flying club around is. I learned to fly at a flight school in Atlanta. I then joined a club and thought I was getting a steal at $90/hr Hobbs for a 172/180.

I moved to Knoxville Tn and joined a fairly affordable club at Skyranch, but recently switched over to an even more affordable club in oak ridge. Rates are 55/60/80/110 a tach hour for a champ/150 Aerobat/172/182.

The biggest negative is that the field they are based at doesn’t have lights so no night flying unless you move a plane, but overall I’ve been really happy with the club and am on track to fly more hours this year than in the last 5 years of being a pilot.

So my challenge is to post here about your affordable club!

Edit: my club has a $1200 buy in and is $60 a month

How is yours on availability? Those numbers are close to one near me. Big buy in, hefty monthly, low hourly tach rates. But during the good flying months of the year the scheduled is booked up weeks and months in advance. Kinda takes an edge off the good hourly rates if it's hard to get some time in the air while still paying the monthly's and factoring in an amortization of the buy in

Availability is great. I just checked the schedule for tomorrow and there is only one reservation on any of the planes. I’m honestly shocked at how little the planes fly. The club is limited to 50 members so that really helps but I feel like only about 20 people really fly.

I have heard a few of the members own other planes and are just part of the club to fly the champ a few hours each year.

Availability is great. I just checked the schedule for tomorrow and there is only one reservation on any of the planes. I’m honestly shocked at how little the planes fly. The club is limited to 50 members so that really helps but I feel like only about 20 people really fly.

I have heard a few of the members own other planes and are just part of the club to fly the champ a few hours each year.

Dang, if it's that good try to get them to increase membership. Get some more buy in's and and use the money to lower the rates. Find the sweet spot.

We have two clubs on our field, both have initiation fees and are about $60/month, both have 172's available for between $73 and $78 (wet hobbs time) an hour. One has 152 available for $65 hour.

The problems are the one club has excellent equipment but has over a 1 year waiting list to join. They do have a large list of potential instructors, but still can be difficult to find an available instructor.

The 2nd club while the maintenance is excellent, the Avionics are older and often temperamental. No waiting list to get in, but can be difficult or impossible to find an available instructor. Club is also limited to Training use only, need to be working with an instructor to schedule solo flight for insurance reason (supposedly)

Brian

Back