GA pilot decline

Don't be, I feel the same about Texas.

Interesting idea, looks kind of like an LSA Cessna 336. The visibility would be fantastic. When are you expecting to have a flying prototype?
I'm hoping to have the flyable prototype finished and flown off this year, pending the funding coming through. Our first public presentation would be at the Light Sport Expo in Sebring FL Jan 2020

I hate to say it but a whole lot of things are in decline. Golf memberships are at all time lows for instance.
Why would anyone fly a real airplane, when you can fly an imaginary electronic airplane?
x.jpg

I can tell by some of the more colorful responses my initial post was a little simplistic! :)

I personally am not above a simple mistake in the pattern due to stress, etc. I could see myself in that female pilot. Frankly, her "sin" to me was very minor. Under stress, she simply tried to turn and retract the flaps a little too early. Should that be a fatal mistake? Is that an acceptable engineering standard? It turned me off getting a PPL.

This was just my opinion. I certainly respect there are different ones out there!

As an engineer, you should know that as soon as we introduce software to override the pilot, we're entering a slippery slope. See the 737MAX for an example. As a former software developer, I can assure you that this is a bad idea.

Why would anyone fly a real airplane, when you can fly an imaginary electronic airplane?
View attachment 74198

Another good example - that episode from South Park where the kids were all playing Guitar Hero and made fun of Randy for playing the real guitar. Friend of mine at the time that episode came out said his kids were exactly the same way.

Insurance companies are a business, so when a $300k Cessna 182T crashes, killing 3 people, and the liability limit of $1,000,000 is exhausted in the lawsuits driven by ambulance chasing lawyers, the company suffers a critical blow to the bottom line. It takes 1600 insurance policies to make up for a $1,300,000 payout, and that's only if those 1600 don't ever have a claim. So while the insurance companies are an "easy target" it's an incredibly difficult market to be in. Without insurance, the pilot owner risks losing everything if they injure or kills someone because of the lawyers. It's a sober realty of aircraft ownership.

Back