747 flap segment washes ashore in Guam

Scrap falling off a Chinese container ship, maybe?

I have to believe that was a extra part that made its way into the ocean during shipping or something along those lines. I doubt very seriously this was an in-service part that came loose from a plane.

Strange things happen, though.

One of the articles says that the part is owned by Aerosup, which supplies parts for 747 among others.

Last edited:
I imagine loss of a leading edge flap after takeoff would have made itself known upon deployment of the lift devices for the next landing.

But then again, I have no idea how much assymetric lift differential the lost part would create.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c832c05&opt=0

A National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 freighter, registration N952CA performing freight flight N8-443 from Guam Anderson AFB (Guam) to Honolulu Hickam AFB,HI (USA), was climbing out of Anderson's runway 06R when a number of flap parts separated from the aircraft. The crew, obviously unaware of the damage, continued the climb to FL350 and continued to Honolulu where the aircraft landed safely on Hickam AFB about 6:45 hours after departure.

The aircraft is still on the ground in Honolulu 9 days later.

A flaps part, about 11 feet in length, was washed ashore at Guam on Friday May 17th 2019, a second flaps part of about 8 feet length on Sunday (May 19th 2019).

Why all the talk about leading edge flaps and slats? This was a fore flap from the trailing edge flaps. Look at the picture.

Back