Another insufficient plan

Pre flight planning seems to be lacking. Not like he didn’t pass many airports.

But to run out of fuel, not many excuses
There are accidents, then there are clear violations of rules that endanger innocent lives, and make our "hobby" look unsafe. People like this, and there are sadly many, should have their licenses yanked

This guy broke 91.103.(a) and 91.151. Throw the book at him.

What do you mean "not another one"? There's several a week, we only hear about the high profile ones.

Fuel mismanagement is a Severity 2 issue, but if he's a relatively junior pilot, he's never done this before and it was truly inadvertent, then I think it's probably a moderate enforcement action. If we ever know, I'd look for a 30-60 day suspension and recurrent training.

And I forgot, because this is POA, no, I'm not making this up. I took the time to look up FAA Order 2150.3C and see how they classify things. Based on that I wrote the above.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_Order_2150.3C.pdf

What do you mean "not another one"? There's several a week, we only hear about the high profile ones.

Fuel mismanagement is a Severity 2 issue, but if he's a relatively junior pilot, he's never done this before and it was truly inadvertent, then I think it's probably a moderate enforcement action. If we ever know, I'd look for a 30-60 day suspension and recurrent training.

By not another one I mean there are a lot. Just like you said. Several a week??? I find it hard to believe a majority of landing on the Freeway incidents aren't getting in the news. Accidents in general, maybe. But I cannot get my head wrapped around reporters are saying "big deal, a plane landed on the Freeway, I got more jucier stories to spend my time on."

Several fuel exhaustion accidents every week.

The source for that was an older safety report. Maybe we've gotten better, but I don't think so.

Story said he was flying from SC to KORL. From where he landed in Maitland, he likely had just flown over or past the Deland airport. If his fuel was low, I wonder why he didn’t just land and top off.

Story said he was flying from SC to KORL. From where he landed in Maitland, he likely had just flown over or past the Deland airport. If his fuel was low, I wonder why he didn’t just land and top off.

Stupid?

He was south of Sanford, about 6 miles north of ORL. Maitland is straight east of the middle of Lake Apopka.

Not sure where he was coming from, but I picked Florence and it shows about 3.5 hour flight. That's gas to the tabs planning for me.

Hope is not a strategy.

Maybe he thought he could save 13 cents a gallon by getting to the cheaper fuel stop? Now he has to spend extra on plane repair, so it didn’t work out. At least they don’t have to pay for a funeral.

Having enough fuel is ultra low hanging fruit on accident prevention.

Maybe he thought he could save 13 cents a gallon by getting to the cheaper fuel stop? Now he has to spend extra on plane repair, so it didn’t work out. At least they don’t have to pay for a funeral.

KORL is usually expensive.

Funeral may have been cheaper than the plane repair, lol.

Back