The Big Bang Theory

1. House was good.
2. There were episodes of Psych that had me in stitches. Witty banter between characters can really go a long way if it's done right.
3. If you never watched Dexter you cheated yourself.
4. Sons of Anarchy was good until it turned into a soap.
5. I can still watch an occasional episode of Friends, Seinfeld or Mad About You and laugh.
6. 2 1/2 was good stuff.
7. BBT was great. Creative, different...the first few years.

The problem with good tv is that it sets a precedent. Looking back at some of the crap we watched as kids just because it was the only thing on tv...

I'm not sure if I should be too embarrassed to admit this. My wife signed up for a trial Amazon Prime so I'm bingeing on Downton Abbey.

Since I 'cut the cord' I've been watching more and more stuff from places like Netflix, HBO, and Showtime. I'm a fan of BBT, but in the last few years it seems like all the quality stuff has shifted away from network TV and in that direction.
Agree. I watch Netflix more than anything.

BBT jumped the shark for me. It was funny, but stopped being funny. What do you do? Add kids. Ratings drop again? Add more kids. Most shows go on way too long. It's about money. Last night I could predict most of the jokes before they happened and that's not a good thing.

The Office - oh man did this one jump the shark! One of my favorite sitcoms every. When Steve Carell left, they should have ended it. I can't even watch the later episodes.

MASH, Frazier, The Office, House, BBT were all pretty solid entertainment through most of the series. I'll even add Family Guy/South Park/Futurama for animated stuff (Family Guy wore out it's welcome after the first few seasons, and South Park was probably too vulgar for most). The nice change (for me) on most of those shows was that a decent portion of the humor was more highbrow and subtle. However, at some point the shtick gets old no matter the show and it loses its luster.

MASH, Frazier, The Office, House, BBT were all pretty solid entertainment through most of the series. I'll even add Family Guy/South Park/Futurama for animated stuff (Family Guy wore out it's welcome after the first few seasons, and South Park was probably too vulgar for most). The nice change (for me) on most of those shows was that a decent portion of the humor was more highbrow and subtle. However, at some point the shtick gets old no matter the show and it loses its luster.
I liked every show you mentioned, except House. I don't remember thinking MASH or Frazier went on too long, but some of the others did. Like last night when Leonard reached out to move Sheldon's DNA model, did any of us not think it was going to fall apart?

I loved Family Guy, but finally got tired of them repeating things 20 times. Like when Peter hurts his knee and cries out over and over...

I liked every show you mentioned, except House. I don't remember thinking MASH or Frazier went on too long, but some of the others did. Like last night when Leonard reached out to move Sheldon's DNA model, did any of us not think it was going to fall apart?

I loved Family Guy, but finally got tired of them repeating things 20 times. Like when Peter hurts his knee and cries out over and over...

I liked House because I enjoyed the dark humor and cynicism, as well as the thought process is making connections to solve un-curable diseases. I'd liken it to the Sherlock Holmes movies where the humor is quick-witted and identifying the clues/associations is test of logic.

I liked MASH, until it seemed it was becoming just a platform for Hawkeye to get preachy. That seems to happen with a lot of shows, Madam Secretary being the latest.

Thank goodness for non-cable networks. We've been watching Killing Eve, DCI Banks, Bosch, Catastrophe, Umbrella Academy, Ozark, Handmaid's Tale, Jack Ryan, and a few others. Not only have we cut our monthly TV/Internet/phone spend by about $100, the shows are way better.

Unfortunately not much else to watch on the 3 major networks from previews I have seen on new or existing shows. Sad that most TV show seems to be lacking in every aspect.

This is why I usually watch shows from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Lately I have been watching the silent movies on TCM. Those actors had to really act to get their point across instead of like todays actors that just show up and read the script seconds before the camera rolls.

If it is B&W, I will probably watch it.

The hardest I have ever laughed at a TV show was an episode of Psych.
I recently discovered a TV series from 2004, "John Doe." Great show with an original story line (since been co-opted many times).
Most of the USA network series were good until they went to $h17 after Burn Notice finished...

Network television is pure filth and I wouldn't let kids watch any of it.

I am surprised there have been no complaints about the overrun of The Simpsons. That show is worn out. I only watch the opening couch scene now.

I watch a lot of mystery/comedy shows where:
1. the hero (or heroine) is a rebel,
2. breaks all the rules,
3. is smarter that everyone else and
4. wins out in the end.
Psych, Bull, Resident, New Amsterdam, Whiskey Cavalier.... I think that is the theme for most shows, I watch too much TV.
Dr. Who, until the Dr. regenerated into a woman.

Dr. Who, until the Dr. regenerated into a woman.
I agree but I do not think it was the gender change. It was the producer change and the writing went way down hill. No real sign of the Tardis for 3-4 or 5 episodes, sheesh.

Back