RIP I. M. Pei

My mother was one of his partners and I met him a few times. About as nice as you can get. He will be missed but he leaves behind quite a legacy of famous landmarks.

My mother was one of his partners and I met him a few times. About as nice as you can get. He will be missed but he leaves behind quite a legacy of famous landmarks.

Now I’m curious about your mother’s background. When was she one of his partners? It’s still relatively rare for women in architecture to make it that high up.

Now I’m curious about your mother’s background. When was she one of his partners? It’s still relatively rare for women in architecture to make it that high up.

Rare indeed. I think she was one of 3 women at Columbia Architecture school when she went. I don't remember the exact dates and I don't remember when she made partner but she started working there in the mid '80s and retired somewhere in the early 2000's. Along with other projects, she worked on the Louvre, the Javits Convention Center, the Holocaust Museum in D.C. (I went to the opening), the Stanford Science quadrangle (Dean to my mom: I don't care what the code says, each one of those students is $100k in tuition, make sure it's earthquake proof!) and what was then Federal Triangle but is now the Ronald Reagan Building. Special design considerations on that project because it's right next to the U.S. Mint.

Not many remember in the early 1970s his firm designed control towers that were built at 16 airports for the FAA, including one at ORD

IMG_0523.JPG

Back