ADS-B by 2020?

Or maybe the seller was trying to pull a fast one and, dare I say; "lied"?
It's been known to happen.

It’s a possibility but I’d think the seller would want to trivialize the need for ADS-B rather than make the restrictions sound worse than they actually are.

I would not suggest they were lying. I think the notion of needing to spend another $2000 soon after buying a sub-$20k plane might make the prospective buyer want to either look elsewhere or, as in my case, stop and investigate the matter further.

I feel they did me a huge favor.

Last edited:
The old transponder in the C150 I'm purchasing is out of certification.

Wondering if it might be worth it to look into a "newer" box that will just slip into that same tray and give me this new ADS-B to boot. Anyone have any suggestions as to what might work for me?

I understand there are some that use the existing trays and antenna for use under 18,000' which is certainly this old Cessna.

The unit I have in there now is an RT-359A.

The old transponder in the C150 I'm purchasing is out of certification.

Wondering if it might be worth it to look into a "newer" box that will just slip into that same tray and give me this new ADS-B to boot. Anyone have any suggestions as to what might work for me?

I understand there are some that use the existing trays and antenna for use under 18,000' which is certainly this old Cessna.

The unit I have in there now is an RT-359A.

There is nothing in production that will fit an RT-359A tray.

For an old transponder like that, I'd just get a 335 or Stratus ESG and fuggedaboutit.
My out-of-pocket cost for the GTX 335 was $5,020.00. He could probably buy another C150 with a working transponder for that much :)

Mine cost about the same as well. If I got a free project plane, I'd have a good appetite to make it not suck :)

Talk to a broker, and see how they downgrade used aircraft prices without ADS-B. You pay now and have the benefits or pay later on resale. It's becoming table stakes to have ADS-B. The better the installed solution the better the resale. e.g plane has a quality OUT solution, and more for IN & OUT.

Wonder if prices will drop the closer we get to 2020 on aircraft that don't have adsb. If someone is looking at plane they don't use that often anymore, and now see another $5-10K expense that's needed to fly near a classB....

Unless your keeping the airplane forever I would go with the sky beacon. most people are going to want an ADSB out airplane.

Skybeacon is great until your old transponder goes tubes up and you have to replace it anyway.

Skybeacon is great until your old transponder goes tubes up and you have to replace it anyway.
That is really the only reason I went with the Stratus ESG instead. Including installation, the Stratus option is definitely more expensive than the SkyBeacon, but it's way less expensive than a SkyBeacon and a new transponder. Gambling on the long-term health of my aging transponder didn't seem worth the savings I would have realized going w/ the SkyBeacon.

Maintaining 2 devices instead of one sounds painful too....

Back