The Middle Aged Aviator - Rod Machado

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
Interesting video. Obviously in some areas we decline as we get older, but in some areas we actually improve. This actually made me feel a little better about some things I've been experiencing. :D

Last edited:
I find it somewhat ironic that "middle-aged" is something that really can't be defined until you die...

I find it somewhat ironic that "middle-aged" is something that really can't be defined until you die...
I'm 45 and recently had my hip replaced due to a football injury many years ago. The doctor told me he's see me in about 38 years. I laughed and told him he'll probably have to dig me up!

Past middle age,waiting for the old age video.

Basically I figure that if it's okay for me to pilot my two ton automobile down the road at high speeds in close proximity to other moving and stationary objects in order to get to the airport nobody should worry about me possibly crashing my little puddle jumper into a bean field. As for "middle age" if you base it on the perception of the passage of time it's probably somewhere around 22.

I think it always has to do with your baseline. My 80 year old dad is a horrible driver and we are trying to get his keys. Of course it doesn't help that he has always been a horrible driver ever since I can remember going back to my earliest memories as a kid....

Memory is the second thing to go.

I think it always has to do with your baseline. My 80 year old dad is a horrible driver and we are trying to get his keys. Of course it doesn't help that he has always been a horrible driver ever since I can remember going back to my earliest memories as a kid....
My FIL used to scare us when driving, and he drives a lot. Got his cataracts fixed, and he's good as gold. Same thing happened to may dad. Something to be checked.

Lots of people are driving around that shouldn’t be, yet they would tell you that they are perfectly safe. Seems like we should strive for a higher standard in aviation than we do for cars. I had a CFI that would confess to having nightmares about flying cars - “If people start flying the way they drive, we’re all screwed!”

Amen. We need higher standards for DRIVERS! I have to negotiate the local freeways with millineals and I can tell you they drive recklessly. And don't get me started on the "texters."

Amen. We need higher standards for DRIVERS! I have to negotiate the local freeways with millineals and I can tell you they drive recklessly. And don't get me started on the "texters."
Apparently you haven't driven in south Florida :D

Back