Hydrocephalus

Benw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Benw
I’m curious if anyone knows of any pilots that have been approved with shunted Hydrocephalus?

Need more information. I am a living, breathing example. Shunt installed when I was 3 months old. Took care of the issue. Normal life since, although I can’t seem to find a hat that fits.

Well I was shunted when I was 6 weeks old, just recently tried getting a special issuance medical, but was denied due to low neuropsych testing results. Just needing someone else to talk to, pilot or not. It would be cool to see someone else that has been approved by the FAA

I’m just curious of your process if you were approved? Where is your shunt located? What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?

My story. I was shunted at around 6 weeks old due to a grade 3 Intraventricular hemorrhage. What did the FAA require for you to get approved? I have taken a few neuropsychological tests, with very low results on memory. What did you do to get approved? What were the requirements?

Well maybe you can’t see the private conversation.

Apparently my situation is different. Mine wasn’t caused by a hemorrhage. Frankly, I don’t know what caused mine. As far as what was required for me to get approved, I didn’t do anything special.

I really don’t know what criteria was used to issue my medical. I just know that in my case, several AMEs had no problem issuing me a certificate. I currently hold a First Class medical.

I’m just curious of your process if you were approved? Where is your shunt located? What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?

My story. I was shunted at around 6 weeks old due to a grade 3 Intraventricular hemorrhage. What did the FAA require for you to get approved? I have taken a few neuropsychological tests, with very low results on memory. What did you do to get approved? What were the requirements?
I think we have communicated?

Yes we have @bbchien

Not looking for advice on obtaining certification (since you already gave me your opinion). Maybe I’m just looking for success stories. What causes of hydrocephalus can be approved?

To piggyback off an older thread, what is the outcome of cognitive rehab therapy?

Yes we have @bbchien

Not looking for advice on obtaining certification (since you already gave me your opinion). Maybe I’m just looking for success stories. What causes of hydrocephalus can be approved?

To piggyback off an older thread, what is the outcome of cognitive rehab therapy?
Taking your input here as gospel, it appears that hydrocephalus with a shunt is not the cause of your denial (regardless of cause.) Do you have memory issues that affect your day-to-day life? (Don't actually answer that, except to yourself!)
And certain types of therapy do help some people (and some of it is actually fun), so you've got nothing to lose by trying. (Except time and money, of course, but that's true of nearly anything worthwhile.)

Where would I even look for rehab type therapy, I’m thinking about checking with the local neurology clinic to start

Hello all, new member here, but drawn to this post due to the discussion of Hydrocephalus. I was shunted when I was 2 months old, and had the shunt until 2009. After quite a few complications with the shunt, they removed it and treated with Third Ventriculostomy. Since that procedure, they needed to go in and revise it once due to the hole created closing. Since 2009, I've had no procedures and have not seen my neurosurgeon since 2013. I did go see him prior to applying for my medical to have a current status report for the FAA. I just applied for my Third class medical and completed the initial appointment with the AME and am currently in deferral now. He didnt seem to think I'd have any trouble with getting the medical due to the length of time since any procedures or neurosurgeon visits. I've never had any other issues normally connected with Hyrocephalus (no seizures, no medication ever taken for the Hydrocephalus).

Just offering my experience here for anyone in the same position as me. What would be a reasonable expectation to hear anything from the FAA. (I've heard there are quick turnarounds at times and I've also read stories of it being a month or more process).

Hello all, new member here, but drawn to this post due to the discussion of Hydrocephalus. I was shunted when I was 2 months old, and had the shunt until 2009. After quite a few complications with the shunt, they removed it and treated with Third Ventriculostomy. Since that procedure, they needed to go in and revise it once due to the hole created closing. Since 2009, I've had no procedures and have not seen my neurosurgeon since 2013. I did go see him prior to applying for my medical to have a current status report for the FAA. I just applied for my Third class medical and completed the initial appointment with the AME and am currently in deferral now. He didnt seem to think I'd have any trouble with getting the medical due to the length of time since any procedures or neurosurgeon visits. I've never had any other issues normally connected with Hyrocephalus (no seizures, no medication ever taken for the Hydrocephalus).

Just offering my experience here for anyone in the same position as me. What would be a reasonable expectation to hear anything from the FAA. (I've heard there are quick turnarounds at times and I've also read stories of it being a month or more process).

please let us know how everything turns out

As the OP of this thread, I will be very eager to hear your outcome

please let us know how everything turns out

As the OP of this thread, I will be very eager to hear your outcome

Well, I have good news. I just looked at the FAA Airmen Database and found my name there with a medical date of February 2020. So, here's whats transpired in that time:

So, after the medical (which was February 11), I followed my AME's advice and waited a month to see what would happen. Mid-March I reached out to AOPA to complete an inquiry with FAA on my behalf. They came back to me stating that the FAA had not received my medical application or medical documentation. Argh. So I contact the AME and relay this to them, and they indicate to me that they definitely submitted everything. They said that they would reach out to the FAA and get back to me. Heard nothing back from them after a few days so I called them back again and they told me that when they talked to the FAA, the FAA did in fact have the medical application, but did not have my medical records. (This could partially be my fault as I elected to let the AME submit the application and records, and not take care of the records myself). So the AME told me that they would re-send the documentation. I never did hear from them again, I made one follow up call after that to make sure the records had been sent, but the office never returned my call. So I reached back out to AOPA again and told them what the AME told me, and they said that it could be 3 weeks until the FAA got the records scanned into their system (after they received them). They told me that they added me to the inquiry list for March 30, and that they hoped I'd hear something by then or sooner. Then of course the pandemic hit. So I really didn't worry about reaching out to them because I was not even sure AOPA Medical or AMCD were even operating at this point. My cousin (who is a CFI) reached out to me last night and said that on a whim he ran my name in the Airmen Registry and found my medical listed. YAY!

The important thing to note was that he also pointed out that there was no listing of a special issuance restriction. So it appears that my medical was issued as a regular medical after all. Which makes me happy as there should be less mess to go through come renewal time.

I've yet to receive any indication from the FAA of the issuance of the medical certificate, apart from the aforementioned entry in the airmen database. But I would presume that if it shows up there that its a done deal. Do correct me if I am wrong.

On to training! Thanks for the listening ear.

I spoke to one of the FAA docs at Oshkosh a few years ago as my son has hydro. He said there are pilots out there with first class medicals. So it is possible.

Well, I have good news. I just looked at the FAA Airmen Database and found my name there with a medical date of February 2020. So, here's whats transpired in that time:

So, after the medical (which was February 11), I followed my AME's advice and waited a month to see what would happen. Mid-March I reached out to AOPA to complete an inquiry with FAA on my behalf. They came back to me stating that the FAA had not received my medical application or medical documentation. Argh. So I contact the AME and relay this to them, and they indicate to me that they definitely submitted everything. They said that they would reach out to the FAA and get back to me. Heard nothing back from them after a few days so I called them back again and they told me that when they talked to the FAA, the FAA did in fact have the medical application, but did not have my medical records. (This could partially be my fault as I elected to let the AME submit the application and records, and not take care of the records myself). So the AME told me that they would re-send the documentation. I never did hear from them again, I made one follow up call after that to make sure the records had been sent, but the office never returned my call. So I reached back out to AOPA again and told them what the AME told me, and they said that it could be 3 weeks until the FAA got the records scanned into their system (after they received them). They told me that they added me to the inquiry list for March 30, and that they hoped I'd hear something by then or sooner. Then of course the pandemic hit. So I really didn't worry about reaching out to them because I was not even sure AOPA Medical or AMCD were even operating at this point. My cousin (who is a CFI) reached out to me last night and said that on a whim he ran my name in the Airmen Registry and found my medical listed. YAY!

The important thing to note was that he also pointed out that there was no listing of a special issuance restriction. So it appears that my medical was issued as a regular medical after all. Which makes me happy as there should be less mess to go through come renewal time.

I've yet to receive any indication from the FAA of the issuance of the medical certificate, apart from the aforementioned entry in the airmen database. But I would presume that if it shows up there that its a done deal. Do correct me if I am wrong.

On to training! Thanks for the listening ear.

what records did the FAA request?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back