KAVXThe good the bad and the ugly.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
The good.
The new improved rwy is open and a bit bumpy at the sims where the blocks join but overall in good shape.
The bad.
The taxiway is still bumpy and requires very slow taxi, especially if you have a low prop clearance.
The ugly.
There is no paved parking / tie downs for the small acft. unless you are a Hollywood degenerate with a jet you will have to tie down on gravel / dirt area regardless of any of the jets being, or not being there. Imagine that, Conservancy inviting and favoring the jets, that is a hell of way of being environmentally friendly? More like get as much as you can, which is what the reality always was.
Here are some pics.
KAVX-Dwnd.jpg KAVX-OvrFnce.jpg KAVX-Toff22View.jpg

I appreciate the PIREP too. Planning a trip there toward the end of the month.

Ugh, I may not make fly in then. I do t have the best prop clearance and don’t wanna risk a prop nick

Ditto - thanks for the PIREP. Gravel is a no-go for me. Not worth the risk of a nick on my composite prop.

I think I'll probably go another day. If it's gravel parking, I want to get a spot closer to the taxiway to minimize time with a whirling prop over gravel.

I parked there last week. Yes, it’s on dirt. At least where I parked, there was no gravel. I carefully inspected the area where I’d have to taxi before start up. And coming in, airport guys were there to help push me in. Not sure if that will always be the case though.

Runway was great. In addition, the taxiways have been re-asphaulted...very nice.

Biggest downside? Poor uncontrolled airspace pilot skills and heavy traffic...dangerous commo. 4 of us spaced ourselves in the pattern, but one guy kept not announcing position. And then voila, another plane announces a straight in. We all yelled at him. I left the pattern and returned 10 minutes later when all the newbies had landed.

All in all a huge improvement. The parking situation is unfortunate and hopefully will change.

Biggest downside? Poor uncontrolled airspace pilot skills and heavy traffic...dangerous commo. 4 of us spaced ourselves in the pattern, but one guy kept not announcing position. And then voila, another plane announces a straight in. We all yelled at him. I left the pattern and returned 10 minutes later when all the newbies had landed.

Good to know. Once the "newness" wears off there'll likely be less traffic. Gotta plan for a mid-week flight.

Back