There's an app for that ... isn't there?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
discussing ways to increase or improve communication within our flying club last night, and, of course, we all said "there's got to be an app for that?"

We need to expand our communication to include easy ways to track things like hours until oil changes, who's available for the next (fill in the task here), "need 3 people tomorrow to help with (fill in the task here)", etc.

One simple solution is group text, but I have a couple of other interest groups that do that, and honestly, after a discussion fires up on one of those and the phone dings incessantly for an hour (many of which are "who is this?", "who said that"? since for some reason, just the phone numbers show up, not the phone book entry), I don't want to use group texts.

Thoughts?

Maybe check out Slack or Trello?

Slack will let you create different channels. You could have one for oil changes, one for tasks, etc. There's a free version that only keeps history back to 6 months, I think?

We use Trello as a task-management app (who is working on what, when is it due, etc) but you could use it in the way you're describing as well.

I'm sure there are many other options, but these two can at least get you started on your (re)search.

Slack would be a good choice for this.

Not that I'm advocating FaceBook, but if most everyone is already on FB, you could just create a FB group page or use Messenger as well.

Our club uses aircraftclubs.com

At suggestion of another POA member I’m going to try using evites for our local aviation association- I guess beauty of it is it can email or text depending on recipients preference

I just stumbled on great solution, we all already have! You can send an email to folks via text. Very simple. So you could set up a contacts group with emails for those that prefer email and texts for those that prefer texts. I just tested it sent a group email as a text to me and an office mate. We both got it, but when we replied the reply went to my email alone not to the text group. This would eliminate the blowing up the phone from people starting a side conversation in the group text.

Here is a site I found with the info. All you need is to know the person's carrier, if their number is 555-555-1212 and they are with verizon, then the email you put in for that contact is 5555551212@vtext.com... But if its in a contact group and the next guy on the list is Joeblow@gmail.com well then he gets a regular old email... Crazy simple once you set up a contact group...

Here is the site I found with the @whatever for each carrier:https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I use Slack at work (I detest Instant Messaging at work, because it gives my users the ability to bypass normal chain for problem resolution).

We (club) use aircraftclubs.com already for scheduling. Since their upgrade, and additional charges for the other modules, like maintenance, et al, we chose not to pay for additional features there. I should look into what they now offer and how much extra they charge for it.

Facebook - I just this morning removed it from my phone as it was sucking what little spare time I had, but it's a possibility.

I would make a SWAG that maybe half our members might be on Facebook, or technically inclined to use some type of messaging on their phones, but might be worth a poll.

Evite and text/email groupings ... worth looking into those - thanks.

Back