C120 Avionics Upgrades

@MBDiagMan @Tom-D what spooked me on the Champs was the fabric. I can’t do the fabric work and I read to recover well exceeds the cost of the plane.

Tom - I first watched you on the AOPA board refurbishing planes. If I had to pay someone to recover (and fix ribs etc) would that exceed $30k?

a champ should not exceed 10k to re-cover in either of the major ceconite systems.

Fabric covering system, there are no less than 5 major covering systems.

I looked it up in my logs once, but I don’t remember if it was Stits or Ceconite. Are their different systems within those two brand names or are there other brand names?

I looked it up in my logs once, but I don’t remember if it was Stits or Ceconite. Are their different systems within those two brand names or are there other brand names?
Let us not get confused..
Stitz is a system, it is now called Poly-Fiber, and is sold exclusively by Aircraft Spruce and specialities. It is the most popular system but also the most difficult to do.

Ceconite is a product, it is the Dacron double knit fabric that has approval to be used in several covering systems. Stitz/poly-fiber uses it, as does Stewarts, Airtech coatings, and several others.

I like to think I've kept the spirit of the panel while still adding capability. The new radio is amazing, and I love the new location of the new headset plugs. The lemos are super handy as well. I wired up everything for the Aera 660 and mounted the airgizmos mount, but I still haven't bought the unit. Looking forward to getting that soon. In the photo below you can see it will mount just below the yoke above the radio.

Last edited:
I hope you got a field approval to cut that panel. It is structure

I hope you got a field approval to cut that panel. It is structure

I didn’t cut the panel. The G5 slipped into the same hole as the old attitude indicator (see original photo in first post) and the airgizmos mount fit in the the place of the ADF and Narco Nav/Com.

Some one did, you got paper on it?

I'll have to go back and look through the paperwork. The Narco and ADF went in a long time ago, and it possibly was cut before then. Panel has been this way for 30 years easily. When the previous owner restored it in 2015 he didn't change the panel, just stripped it down and re-painted it.

Thanks guys, even though it was restored, this thing has been a project. Since I got it I've had to install a new transponder, exhaust, alternator swap and now the avionics. Next thing on my list is to ditch these pesky wheel extenders.

Reinstalled the headliner and routed the wires up to the radio today.
View attachment 73346 View attachment 73347

Have you used these jacks yet? I have jacks in the panel and behind in my 140. Can use either. When I use the ones behind, me I have trouble keeping the cord in a comfortable position. Sometimes the cord falls behind my back and pulls on the headset when I turn my head.

Have you used these jacks yet? I have jacks in the panel and behind in my 140. Can use either. When I use the ones behind, me I have trouble keeping the cord in a comfortable position. Sometimes the cord falls behind my back and pulls on the headset when I turn my head.
Yes, quite a bit actually. I'll take a photo when I go flying later today, but basically I used one of the clips that come with the bose headsets to clip the cord to the shoulder harness, that way it doesn't tug. I think mounting the controller up where I did helps with that as well.

Sorry not the best photo, but I think it illustrates what I'm doing. You can buy the little clips for cheap, as you can see I use them to hold up the controller as well:
https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/bose-clothing-clip.html

IMG_1853.jpg

Looks great! The problem with my rear jacks is that they plug in vertically just behind the outer shoulder. In other words, they are in the front, forward corners of the package tray. So all of the slack is free to fall behind my back in the seat. A few of my headsets have cord clips. I might try using them in an effort to keep the cord out of my lap.

I like to think I've kept the spirit of the panel while still adding capability. The new radio is amazing, and I love the new location of the new headset plugs. The lemos are super handy as well. I wired up everything for the Aera 660 and mounted the airgizmos mount, but I still haven't bought the unit. Looking forward to getting that soon. In the photo below you can see it will mount just below the yoke above the radio.

View attachment 74122
View attachment 74123

I assume that those two indicator lights to the left of the Garmin are the landing gear lights.:D

Also, isn’t it hard to enter a sqwauk code from the pilot seat?

I assume that those two indicator lights to the left of the Garmin are the landing gear lights.:D

Also, isn’t it hard to enter a squawk code from the pilot seat?

Ha, they are leftover marker beacons. There should be 3 but I pulled one when I relocated the parking brake to make room for more breakers. Will eventually ditch the last two, just want to make sure I have something to put in their place.

It's not too bad using the transponder from the left seat, just a little bit of a reach. I'm also training my passenger to handle that, ha

When I did the initial install on the system, I wired everything up for the GPS but didn't buy it. Finally pulled the trigger on the Garmin Aera 660, WOW, this thing is awesome. It drives heading info to the G5 (both on the PFD and HSI), can fly RNAV approaches, it has synthetic vision, can display ADSB weather/traffic, pulls up the geo-referenced taxi diagram when you're on the ground, labels the selected frequencies on the radio and can load frequencies to the standby. You can connect the bluetooth to your headset for audio alerts, and WiFi is used to database updates. You can easily send flight plans from your phone/iPad to it as well. That barely scratches the surface, but for $750 it's a pretty amazing deal. will post more as I play around with it and get some in flight photos.

I'm glad I decided to panel mount it, makes for a clean install and doesn't muddy up the yoke. The screen brightness is great, no visibility issues.

Aera-660-01.jpg
Aera-660-02.jpg
Aera-660-03.jpg
Aera-660-04.jpg

Back