Water bottles with straws- not GA friendly

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
My old water bottle had cracked so I picked up a new one with a neat feature- a built in straw so you can just open the sipper thing and drink from it without tipping it back. Nice? No! Not nice.

I filled up my water bottle at rough river, at 577’. Some time later on my way home I was cruising at 6,000’ and felt thirsty. I grabbed my spiffy new water bottle and popped up the little sippy thing. I was immediately blasted in the face with a geyser of water. It hit the ceiling. Had to fly home in wet pants.

Bottle and crotch shots below.

FF18FFE2-14C4-4B81-9A1F-32FD220835E7.jpeg
DF9C7EFF-9E95-48E7-A25F-3E61C535BA3D.jpeg
5278BBE1-40B0-4186-A7DA-5669FF2E2D4D.jpeg

I am sorry, I could not help but laugh out loud while reading this..!!! My cat is looking at me like I am nutz..!!!

I guess retire the spiffy new water bottle to shaken, not stirred martinis... on the ground only......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My kids have some travel sippy cups like that. They’re not allowed in the plane anymore. Luckily it was water when it happened to us too and not juice or something like that.

Bwahahahahaha!! I've never done that three times! Welcome to the club. What new words did you make up when the geyser was active?

FWIW, I always read your posts with an H. John Benjamin voice.

Bob or Sterling?

Hmmmm. Could have been worse.

Imagine the NTSB accident report trying to explain a plane crash because the pilot's water bottle drowned him. ;)

Hm, this post needs a bit of editing.
I once made the mistake of applying aerosol cheese on a cracker at 10,000 feet. Instant partial panel and about two hours of cleaning orange poo out of the panel.

Not going to do that again...

There we go. That's better.

Fill the bottle completely next time! Air expands, water doesn't.

Or was this thread just an excuse to post a pic of your crotch? :)

BTW, chip bags packaged at low altitudes paired with kids are not GA friendly, either.

They do find the exploding bags quite funny, though.

BTW, chip bags packaged at low altitudes paired with kids are not GA friendly, either.

They do find the exploding bags quite funny, though.

Nothing like flying groceries for a remote resort and while flying through a mountain pass at 14,000msl have a bag of Doritos explode in the back showering the little triangular treats all over the plane.... but I was a little hungry at the time so it all worked out.

Bite valves have some pros and cons for use in flight. Pro: Because the pressurized flow is activated by biting the valve, the spill will be contained. Con: It will probably be contained in your lungs.

Don't feel bad - I've done this 100 times on an airliner with an audience. I am now in the habit of unscrewing the lid first, then re-tightening before taking a sip.

The OP answered a question I had wondered about for a while. Thanks! I would guess this also would apply to opening any carbonated drink when making large altitude changes in unpressurized cabins?

The OP answered a question I had wondered about for a while. Thanks! I would guess this also would apply to opening any carbonated drink when making large altitude changes in unpressurized cabins?

"Changing" altitude won't affect a sealed can. But opening one "at altitude" can be messy if you're not careful.

The worst is when the girl sitting next to you does this on a commercial flight and the water drips from the ceiling for the next 15 minutes. Then you have wet pants and it’s weird when you try to take a picture of it.

Reminds me of the time Mom forgot to "burp" the thermos full of coffee. We got to altitude, Dad asked for a cup of joe. Mom opened the thermos, and coffee went everywhere. So, we had the pleasure of flying from GA to TX with the aroma of fresh brewed coffee. And a day of cleaning the interior of the Stinson.

"Changing" altitude won't affect a sealed can. But opening one "at altitude" can be messy if you're not careful.

As one who never really drinks or eats when they fly, what are the 'rules' for this? Never open anything at altitude that's been sealed? Even a bottle of water?

Also, so open no carbonated drinks at altitude? And off the top of my head I can't think of a 'vented' container. What would that be?

As one who never really drinks or eats when they fly, what are the 'rules' for this? Never open anything at altitude that's been sealed? Even a bottle of water?

Also, so open no carbonated drinks at altitude? And off the top of my head I can't think of a 'vented' container. What would that be?

Be careful opening carbonated beverages--go slowly. Water bottles shouldn't be a problem (I've never had one). Potato chip bags can be interesting--had a large one bust open quite loudly behind my head once; the second bag traveled just fine, up around 9000-10,000 msl.

From watching this video, don't fly with a water bottle with a straw. Regular screw cap bottles aren't a problem for me.

I did that on a Southwest flight. I got the bright idea to take my water bottle through security empty and then fill it up at the water fountains in the terminal. It didn't occur to me that if the bottle sealed tight enough to be spill proof when I held it upside down that it wouldn't equalize the pressure. At 10,000 feet Old Faithful erupted in Row 20. The best part was that my seatmates seemed completely unfazed by it. The flight attendant came up with the box of snacks - I was drenched, the overhead vent and light were wet - and the flight attendant just looks at me and says "pretzels or peanuts?" I guess she had seen that before.

This funny, guess I should add this to my passenger brief and maybe put a note somewhere on my checklist to avoid become a shower victim.

We were flying home from Destin in our original 182, probably 1993 or so, when a bag of potato chip exploded in the back! No real mess, but the huge pop got our attention pretty quickly!! Laughed when we figured out what it was. :D

We were flying home from Destin in our original 182, probably 1993 or so, when a bag of potato chip exploded in the back! No real mess, but the huge pop got our attention pretty quickly!! Laughed when we figured out what it was. :D
Hehehe,I was a very new pilot out on one of my first cross country flights. Climbing up to 8 or 9 thou and POP!! WOW, what was that... airplane is still making power, flight controls are ok....heart is racing. A while later reached back... "I never opened these chips... OOHHHH" LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back