Secret Life Of The Airport - Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
A little over an hour long, but a very interesting video. I had no idea about how a lot of things work at an airport, or things that even went on when running an airport like Atlanta. Many things I never even thought about. Worth a watch if you have an hour of your life you don't need back. :D

One interesting thing was how Delta will bring a Porsche at the plane to pick up a 'VIP' that needs to catch another flight that they don't have time to get to going through the concourse. Back seat has built in massage for the ride.

Lots of interesting details in that video.

I always wondered what happens to food confiscated by Agriculture, at the customs. At the end of that video, it turns out, there's a heavy-duty kitchen dispose-all in a big sink, where it all goes.

Lots of interesting details in that video.

I always wondered what happens to food confiscated by Agriculture, at the customs. At the end of that video, it turns out, there's a heavy-duty kitchen dispose-all in a big sink, where it all goes.

I wonder what they do with the meat though. Didn't show her grinding any meat up.

One interesting thing was how Delta will bring a Porsche at the plane to pick up a 'VIP' that needs to catch another flight that they don't have time to get to going through the concourse. Back seat has built in massage for the ride.

The first time a guy in a suit stood in the jetway with my name on a sign, I thought 'dang the Marshalls service has caught up with me!'. Turns out it was just a tight connection and he was there to drive me to the other gate in a Cayenne with a magnetic light bar on top.

My wife was getting that treatment quite a bit for a while. One time they drove her to the rental car place. She had a co-worker with her on that trip and they were speechless.

All the automation in the tower and still using paper strips. Still the quickest way to enter flight progress data.

Funny, pilots wearing slacks and buttoned up collared shirts and ties. Even TSA wearing collared shirts and ties. ATC dude wearing a T-shirt and a hat on backwards. :)

Similar series done for the Frankfurt airport.

As fascinating on how much effort goes on to keep big aviation moving efficiently.

That's not just Delta. United does it as well and, I presume, American, at their respective hubs.

Yep. Ours is a Cadillac SUV of some sort. I don’t know much about them other than occasionally having to avoid being run over by one during the walk-around. ;)

I watched this recently and it was very interesting! I do the nighttime airfield inspection for the evening shift checking for any outages of airfield lighting, obstruction lighting, and making sure all airfield signs are properly lit.

One other thing was taxiway 'Victor' at Atlanta airport. A taxiway that runs around the ends of the runways I believe and allows some 600 planes a day to not have to cross a runway. It's lower than the runways also so that it doesn't interfere with landings. It's on one half of the airport and tentatively going to build one for the other side of the airport.

Watched that not too long ago. Interesting how much stuff happens at night.
Part of the job at one Airport/Airline I worked at was VIP Arrivals. Did not get a lot of them, but when we did, everything needed to go perfectly, since so many people at HQ were keeping track of it. Usually large Corp account CEO’s or the occasional celebrity. Inbound F/C passengers from mainline were handled by that carrier.

All the automation in the tower and still using paper strips. Still the quickest way to enter flight progress data.

Funny, pilots wearing slacks and buttoned up collared shirts and ties. Even TSA wearing collared shirts and ties. ATC dude wearing a T-shirt and a hat on backwards. :)
The paper still works when the automation fails..

Back