What sucks about your airplane?

That goes for Cessnas too. Sounds like you flew some badly rigged ones.
I've been told that, but there are about 12 different C172 types in my logbook all 172N, 172M, one 172S, and a few 172R.. I just didn't like how any of them flew. Having to lean forward and down to trim is also a no bueno for me.. even the most beat to death "wings might fall off soon" PA28 I've flown has always felt very true and solid in the air. I actually think it has to do with the CG of Center of Lift, wing design, etc. I've also never driven a Nissan I thought drove well, but plenty of other much more economy level cars (Toyota Echo, etc.) have driven nicer, in my, humble, opinion

That's my biggest problem with the 22TN, it's dreadfully slow
View attachment 74074
..this time was even worse:
View attachment 74075

Everything in this world is relative...

Dude you're flying the Cirrus wrong...

IMG_2348.jpeg

I've been told that, but there are about 12 different C172 types in my logbook all 172N, 172M, one 172S, and a few 172R.. I just didn't like how any of them flew. Having to lean forward and down to trim is also a no bueno for me.. even the most beat to death "wings might fall off soon" PA28 I've flown has always felt very true and solid in the air. I actually think it has to do with the CG of Center of Lift, wing design, etc. I've also never driven a Nissan I thought drove well, but plenty of other much more economy level cars (Toyota Echo, etc.) have driven nicer, in my, humble, opinion
I've always found the control harmony to be (yes sluggish) far better than most other airplanes. The ailerons and elevator just seem to work well together. And in smooth air the plane tracks straight very nicely, whereas Pipers always felt like they were "swimming" and fishtailing about due to their dihedral. But Ford vs Chevy.

I feel like low wings in general fishtail more in turbulence than highwings, but seem to trim out better in smooth air (especially in pitch).

Probably wrong.... usually am. At least according to the little lady ;)

I hate how my airplane cruises too fast. I'm always having to update people with my ETA. It also takes off and lands too short. After all, my taxes paid for that runway and I'm not getting my money's worth. It also climbs too fast. How am I supposed to enjoy the view? And it doesn't burn enough gas. I always feel bad about borrowing the crew car when I only take on a couple gallons after a long flight. The darned thing lands too smooth. I try to thump the landing and it always ends up being a greaser. It also carries too much. I always have trouble fitting my passengers and luggage into the rental car. Plus, maintenance costs are too low. I hate that the budget numbers are always off. The absolute worst thing I hate about my airplane is that I have to wait for REM sleep to fly it and the alarm clock on my bedside nightstand always wakes me up before I'm done with the flight.

I feel like low wings in general fishtail more in turbulence than highwings, but seem to trim out better in smooth air (especially in pitch).

Probably wrong.... usually am. At least according to the little lady ;)

What did you say about low wings??

My airplane's only deadly sin is that it is not IFR certified and never will be (DA20-C1). Otherwise I'd be upgrading it rather than looking to upgrade to something more capable but similarly fun to fly.

I trained in a DA-20 and have great memories of it. Moves right along on 125 hp! And it was perfect for the transition to the RV-9A because it's stick control and has a slippery airframe...makes you think a little further ahead to get it slowed down. I fit in it just fine; 6'2" but shorter torso and longer legs.

I trained in a DA-20... I fit in it just fine; 6'2" but shorter torso and longer legs.

That's my problem. I'm 6'4", and not extra long in torso or legs, but both. ;) The canopy on the DA20 comes down to about eye/ear level on me. Just ain't gonna happen. :(

So do you file for 1,253 then? @RudyP and I were just talking about filing speeds.. PS I like how your nav 1 and 2 are also perpetually on 111.95 #MontgomeryLife

I usually file speed as “TBD” and with call sign Blue Angel 8 :p

That is funny about #MontgomeryLife. It’s true! Unless flying IFR out of Santa Monica :rolleyes:

It’s true! Unless flying IFR out of Santa Monica
In that case it's #SVFR and either coastal route or special flight rules area. You'll wait forever for your clearance at SMO.. don't ask me how I know

In that case it's #SVFR and either coastal route or special flight rules area. You'll wait forever for your clearance at SMO.. don't ask me how I know

Sadly, I wait for it each time. Last time I was there I *almost* did SVFR (would have been first time ever) to go to VNY but ceilings were too low.

I should just man up and do coastal route next time back to MYF. Apparently Mini Route is not available anymore? Have you heard that?

Sadly, I wait for it each time. Last time I was there I *almost* did SVFR (would have been first time ever) to go to VNY but ceilings were too low.

I should just man up and do coastal route next time back to MYF. Apparently Mini Route is not available anymore? Have you heard that?
Yeah, the mini route has been closed for a long time, I think I last got through it in 2009? I've heard a few different reasons for it, mostly coming down to workload capacity.. that was a great little route though. My preferred is Coastal Route since it is at least more controlled and you can stay on flight following through it. Special flight rules area is *okay*, but you have to be on your toes with people shooting north and south in it, and be quick on your game to get back up with flight following coming out the back of it. Also, 140 or under indicated in the Cirrus is just a travesty!

Yeah, the mini route has been closed for a long time, I think I last got through it in 2009? I've heard a few different reasons for it, mostly coming down to workload capacity.. that was a great little route though. My preferred is Coastal Route since it is at least more controlled and you can stay on flight following through it. Special flight rules area is *okay*, but you have to be on your toes with people shooting north and south in it, and be quick on your game to get back up with flight following coming out the back of it. Also, 140 or under indicated in the Cirrus is just a travesty!

Love the SFRA. The usual routine for lunch at Camarillo is pretty much direct there from Cable, but coastal/SFRA on the way back, if ceilings allow. Last time I did it, there was an aircraft on my tail northwest of Santa Monica (you, maybe? :)) that was crowding me a little, so I did a left 360 inland to restore harmony to the conga line. New pax can't believe we're allowed to fly RIGHT OVER LAX!! :D

The usual routine for lunch at Camarillo is pretty much direct there from Cable, but coastal/SFRA on the way back, if ceilings allow. Last time I did it, there was an aircraft on my tail northwest of Santa Monica (you, maybe? :)) that was crowding me a little, so I did a left 360 inland to restore harmony to the conga line. New pax can't believe we're allowed to fly RIGHT OVER LAX!!
haha, I don't think it was me, I usually pull it back to 120 indicated or so and give a wide birth! What do you cruise at anyway? Yes I **LOVE** the reaction you get from new people that as "clearly-not-a-real-pilot" I'm allowed to go over a "real" airport like LAX. hahaha

haha, I don't think it was me, I usually pull it back to 120 indicated or so and give a wide birth! What do you cruise at anyway? Yes I **LOVE** the reaction you get from new people that as "clearly-not-a-real-pilot" I'm allowed to go over a "real" airport like LAX. hahaha

If I'm going on a long trip I'm pretty much pegged (LOP) at 155-157 KTAS, but for lunch runs, more like 120 to 125. It's really "airport row" on the way back...Santa Monica, LAX, Hawthorne, Compton, Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Fullerton, Corona, Chino.....

The responsive handling just sucks in my plane. Having to be so gentle with it is such an art :p

The Cessna 172 are a complete abomination. It's sad that so many private and recreational pilots think that the handling you get out of those planes is anywhere near acceptable. I find the added weight and "heft" of the 182 make it a more pleasant plane to fly.. but ultimately you are right; they're sluggish, unresponsive, and only sort of go where you point them.. perpetually trimming and managing the damn things. You trim just about any other prolific GA plane out well and they'll fly themselves.

Yeah, the 182RG is basically the only Cessna that is enjoyable to fly. Doesn't handle like a dump truck like the 210, doesn't limp along like a 172. The TTx doesn't count.

Back