KJAX - Signature or Sheltair

Bill Watson

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MauleDriver
Usually I chase lowest 100LL price as an invitation but here...?
(Have to pick up passenger)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They're both pretty expensive. You can always call and ask about parking fees, etc. I can't really recommend one over the other, though. The facilities are nearly identical inside (I've been to both).

If it is a Saturday or Sunday, definitely go to Signature. They cut 50 cents off the 100LL price (showing just how much profit they are stuffing in there). Could be well worth buying.

KCRG has self serve fuel at $4.99 right now. Signature is showing $.30 cheaper per gal than sheltair at JAX if you have to go there.

If it is a Saturday or Sunday, definitely go to Signature. They cut 50 cents off the 100LL price (showing just how much profit they are stuffing in there). Could be well worth buying.

Sunday... so that’s useful information. Thanks!

I really don’t have a problem with the higher fuel prices at bigger airports. I’m sure the rents are higher too. Glad there’s enough business to support 2 FBOs. But I saw some talk of landing and handling fees in addition to less than the normal number of comments on AirNav and FF which suggests ‘aggressive editing’ by the FBOs.

I figure the premium at a KJAX is a round of drinks compared to KCRG. I can handle that for the convenience of the airline connection.

Thanks again.

A recent post suggest that KJAX has a $14 landing fee for light GA. That's not even the price of the Uber to CRG or VQQ.

I landed at a larger Class C airport the other day and overnighted. The FBO was going to charge me a $35 overnight fee as well as a $40 handling fee and a $6.00 "airport service charge" unless I purchased fuel. Although I still had 4 hours of fuel on board, I gladly purchased 5 gallons (with a weekend discount to $4.60) for a total cost of $23.00

Sometimes you do really get what you pay for.

A recent post suggest that KJAX has a $14 landing fee for light GA. That's not even the price of the Uber to CRG or VQQ.
Sounds about right from when I parked at Sheltair JAX in 2017. They waived all the other fees with fuel, but that one they couldn't waive as it was charged by the airport.

Sounds about right from when I parked at Sheltair JAX in 2017. They waived all the other fees with fuel, but that one they couldn't waive as it was charged by the airport.

Thanks! That sounds fair which is all I can ask.

Due to the Wx, looks like I’m going to fly to the JAX area a day earlier. Will stay overnight before picking up our KJAX passenger before heading to the Bahamas. So now I’m thinking KCRG or one of the other satellites will be our stopover. I’ll probably rent a car, see the town and pickup our passenger by auto.

So now I’m looking for a good gas price and Hertz availability in the area.

Have to stay flexible.

I have on occasion contacted airport managers to see if there is a way to have passengers get to my airplane without having to use an FBO and on occasion I have had luck where they said yes there's a gate Over Yonder and park your plane there...

They're both pretty expensive. You can always call and ask about parking fees, etc. I can't really recommend one over the other, though. The facilities are nearly identical inside (I've been to both).
So plans changed and I ended landing at KFHB Fernandina Beach a day early to avoid heavy rains and a wet grass runway in Durham. Fernandina Beach was fun!

I still had to pickup my passenger at KJAX but now I was topped off and just doing a passenger pickup... what would that cost?

Well, it’s always nice to be nice and it’s also good to remember the value and convenience of having a nice FBO facility available for our various ground stop escapades. It’s worth paying for. But it’s also fun to let the people behind the desk make the call based on their assessment of the situation.

The key point is, that never happens when you call ahead. What you end up doing is getting your visit booked and all the attendant charges applied by the book.

I laid out my situation to the front desk after I had arrived and a pickup driver had been dispatched. The front desk quickly figured out that acknowledging my presence required more work than ignoring it. My passenger was delivered and we departed without a single charge being applied. I felt bad about not buying fuel but I will do so gladly on the return trip and all my trips in the future. FBO customer for life thanks to the lovely person at the front desk.

Don’t call ahead and don’t begrudge your friendly FBO their just due. A/C, a clean rest room, and a few amenities is what makes private flying such a joy. Just look up the 100LL prices, pick one, and give them some business. You might just have a good trip.

(DMD3, thanks for info, your point is well taken, just wanted to use it as a foil)

Back