SL30 display cover coming loose?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
I've got an SL30 in my panel, and the rectangular plastic cover ("lens"?) over the display is coming loose / delaminating. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to fix it. I don't want to mess up the display or otherwise make the problem worse.

It started a few years ago with the lower left corner popping out, and when I noticed it I would just push it back down and it would stay there for days or weeks before popping back out again. Over time, it's gotten significantly worse, and this year as the weather's been warming up it seems to be accelerating. It's gotten to the point that I'm pretty sure it won't be long before I open the cockpit and find the whole piece of plastic on the floor.

I have not studied it closely, but there are at least two layers involved. The stiffer outer cover, then a thinner and softer layer that may be something like a double-sided clear adhesive tape (though it's got some stiffness and thickness to it, so it's not like Scotch tape). The layers have peeled back enough by now that when I find them loose, the second layer is slightly curled and it takes some finessing to push it all back down where everything is smooth and re-adhered. (And it doesn't take long before it starts to pop loose again...I usually have to push it back down several times per flight these days.)

I'm not sure if I should carefully peel everything off, clean stuff up, and then re-assemble with new adhesive, or if I should try to only re-glue the part that's currently loose, or what.

Does anyone know the proper way to repair this? Is this something I could/should contact Garmin about?

Mine has been doing the same for years. My buddies sl40 also did that. He tore the cover off and it now looks awesome. Only thing he lost was the little label with the model number and “pull for squelch”. Now, if it clouds up like the cover he’s screwed, but for now it’s very nice.

Hmm. After doing some Googling, I'm realizing this isn't an uncommon problem, and I have seen a post or two talking about living without the lens cover. At least the radio will continue to be usable if the lens falls off, but I'm hoping that doesn't have to be the long-term solution. I've bumped that lens cover more than a couple of times trying to adjust the radio in turbulence, and I'm not sure an unprotected display would like to be repeatedly poked like that.

Sounds like once the adhesive starts to let loose, there's not a good repair option other than replacing the lens. I saw some posts indicating that replacements were still available as of 2018, so I'm hopeful I can still find one today.

You can just buy the faceplate, I did it last year, costs about 60 or so

Hmm. After doing some Googling, I'm realizing this isn't an uncommon problem, so I'm hopeful I can still find one today.
True, it happened on mine also. Finding one is the issue. Maybe @WannFly can tell you where he found one.

True, it happened on mine also. Finding one is the issue. Maybe @WannFly can tell you where he found one.

I will have to call my avionics guy and get the number, it was some sort of part supplier that he found after a bunch of failed attempts. Let me know if someone is interested, I will buy him for the number or have him order one and I can ship to whoever. It bugged the hell out of me so I feel your pain

Dosen't bug me anymore, I sold my sl40.

FYI, just got our SL-30 back from Garmin. $800 for flat rate repair +$50ish for shipping through your local Garmin dealer. Got it back in 3 days. Looks like it has a brand new display as ours looked kind of delaminated after the smoke came out of the radio (reason for repair). On delivery from Garmin is had peel away protective plastic on the display.

Just placed an order for a new lens from Steinair. $69 plus tax and shipping.

Back