ELT remote switch required?

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
Is it required to have a elt remote switch installed if elt is out of reach of pilot?
It’s in a 1946 Ercoupe 415-c but there is no remote and we were told that we must have a remote,
Is this true?

Yes but only with the new 406 MHz ELTs. None of the planes I have flown in have had a remote switch with the old style 121.5 MHz ELTs.

I didn't think it mattered if it was a new 406.. thought it was if replaced after a certain date. I replaced the obsolete ELT with another and installed a remote switch in mine.

None of the planes I have flown in have had a remote switch with the old style 121.5 MHz ELTs.

@JScarry Yabut I flew a PA-28 that had the old 121.5 elt with a remote switch in the cockpit. "Armed" and "On" were the two options. All the other PA-28s at that FBO did NOT have the switch, so I guess it is an option.

-Skip

@JScarry Yabut I flew a PA-28 that had the old 121.5 elt with a remote switch in the cockpit. "Armed" and "On" were the two options. All the other PA-28s at that FBO did NOT have the switch, so I guess it is an option.

-Skip

Yup mine had the same remote switch with narco ELT

Yes but only with the new 406 MHz ELTs. None of the planes I have flown in have had a remote switch with the old style 121.5 MHz ELTs.

Well not exactly true. Even the mid-generation 121.5 ELTs required a remote switch. So you have to look at when the ELT was installed to understand what was required at the time. The older installations are grandfathered with the understanding that the SARSATs don't watch for the 121.5/243 units anymore.

My now defunct 121.5 ELT had a remote switch, "on", and "Armed". It was non-functional for I don't know how long. Installed a new 406 ELT, it came with a remote switch, which was installed IAW installation manual. I dunno if required by FARs or not.

The remote switch is a requirement of TSO 126, the standard for the 406.

Is it required to have a elt remote switch installed if elt is out of reach of pilot?
It’s in a 1946 Ercoupe 415-c but there is no remote and we were told that we must have a remote,
Is this true?

Told by who?

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/aircraft/aircraft-operations/emergency-locator-transmitters

§ 91.207 Emergency locator transmitters.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no personmay operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless -

(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:

Last edited:
The operative word in 91.207 is "new installations." You can keep maintaining your antique ELT-10 all you want. You put in even a newer 121.5 unit it needs to have the remote switch. The FCC wanted to completely ban the old ELTs but the FAA wouldn't have it.

Yes. If the pilot could not control the ELT functions in flight it required a remote switch in case of a false alert. This goes back to the TSO 91/91A guidance. TSO 126 made the remote switch mandatory regardless where ELT is mounted. It also added structure deflection limits, a buzzer/horn and dropped the use of velcro which still can be used with 91A ELTs.

TSO doesn't tell you what you have to have in your airplane. Nobody is required to comply with TSO C91 or C126 unless doing a new installation.

TSO doesn't tell you what you have to have in your airplane.
Not quite. 91.207 states "meets the requirements of the TSO" which in turn refers you to the RTCA document, 183 for TSO 91a and 204 for TSO 126 which is the governing installation document. The difference between RTCA 183 and 204 is that the remote switch is now mandatory install per 204 vs optional in 183. There is additional guidance in ACs, FARs and Orders but a number have been cancelled or revised since TSO 126 is the only current TSO available to produce new ELTs. Existing TSO 91a ELTs can still be used, repaired and overhauled under the TSO however any required major change to the ELT will require the ELT to follow 126. But it was a requirement to have a remote switch if the pilot could not access the ELT controls in flight for a number of decades.

Last edited:
Not quite.
Exactly quite Your post just reinforces my point. TSO is neither a necessary or sufficient requirement on it's own. You have to have something like 91.207. And 91.207 places the requirement on "new installations." Your post was wrong. It is NOT required to have a remote switch if you have an older installation. You come in late to the thread with a wrong answer.

And the TSO designations involved all have a "C" in them that you consistently omit.

You have to have something like 91.207
Exactly. Which is why they must meet the TSO/RTCA requirements, i.e., which are required to be in the OEMs installation instructions for the TSO authorization. 91.207 said the same thing back when the OP had his ELT originally installed so the switch has been missing since then. Even the EAA guidance is to install the ELTs per the same guidance which comes from the TSO/RTCA documents since Part 43 is not applicable but Part 91 is to E/AB. It's not rocket science.

If you need more guidance, here's an example from 39 years ago:
Location and Access of Controls. If used, remote controls are required to be within reach of seated crewmembers if the ELT device is not readily accessible in flight.Aircrews must be able to control the ELT system directly or through the use of remote controls to allow them to deactivate the system if it is inadvertently set to “on” in flight by severe turbulence or other events.
And the TSO designations involved all have a "C" in them that you consistently omit.
My bad. I assumed you would know what I was talking about. I'll try and do better next time and explain things more thoroughly.:)

When I converted my Sky Arrow to E-LSA, one thing the DAR caught was the lack of a remote for my Ameriking 121.5 MHz ELT. He said it was required per the installation manual, and he was right. I had not thought about it since the ELT is within reach under the pilot’s seat, but not visible.

32890470037_9576c1ba89.jpg

My distributor had one lying around and I had room in my panel, so not a huge deal.

7425326730_80a281f8fd_z.jpg

Last edited:
It's not the remote activiation that's important, but also the indicator that it has been tripped.
Of course, the piece of crap AmeriKing remote will just as soon false trip the ELT as prevent it. When the battery in the remote (which has no stated expiration date or anything) starts to go, the ELT tends to trigger.

Remote triggering is important to me!

Remote resetting is important, too. I’ve got “the call” before. ;)

It's not the remote activiation that's important, but also the indicator that it has been tripped.
Of course, the piece of crap AmeriKing remote will just as soon false trip the ELT as prevent it. When the battery in the remote (which has no stated expiration date or anything) starts to go, the ELT tends to trigger.
The line between the remote and ELT is unshielded and will pick up RF when you transmit, often triggering the ELT. ACK has the same problem
The fix is to get a split ferrite balun and run the remote wire a couple of turns in it.

Last edited:
It's not surprising ACK as the same problem since AK stole the design from them.

New ELT installations are by the STC instructions, If those instructions require a remote switch, it is required.
To not install one requires a deviation to the STC. which is by Field approval method.

Anybody remember to change the battery in the remote switch like AK-450 it has one too, or just the batteries in the ELT. Battery is 2CR 1/3N 6V

Last edited:
New ELT installations are by the STC instructions, If those instructions require a remote switch, it is required.
To not install one requires a deviation to the STC. which is by Field approval method.
And all such STCs will have such a remote switch requirement. It's required by the regs.

And all such STCs will have such a remote switch requirement. It's required by the regs.
Well doesn't it figure, that the FAA would require you to install as per the STC instructions ?or by some other approved method?

It's already been posted. 91.207 requries TSO C126 compliance. That TSO (and it's related RtTCA documents) requires the remote. The FAA isn't going to approve an STC for an ELT these days that doesn't meet C126.

Your ELT-10 is not approved for new installations anymore (and hasn't for over a decade).
Yup. But I don't think we are talking about new installations. The O.P is axing about a '46 Ercoupe that probably has had an ELT installed even longer than my ride.
(Edit: looking back, I see that you already mentioned that - old crap is still OK without the remote)
(( Edit 2: A decade isn't very long ago :) ))
((( Edit 3: In all the year's that it's been installed, it's never let me down. )))

Last edited:
As best I'm aware all new 406 ELT's come with a remote annunciator and activation button. My new ACK E-04 unit came with one.

old crap is still OK without the remote
FYI: if the ELT was installed prior to the 1973 GA mandate then no remote switch for Part 91 aircraft. After 1973 (TSO-C91) there was guidance to use a remote switch if ELT was not accessible to pilot in flight (ref post 16 for the 4 decade version of the guidance). After 1985 (TSO-C91a) there was conflicting guidance a remote switch was required regardless where unit installed. Early 90s TSO-C126 came out and cleared up conflicting guidance: remote switch required regardless whether pilot could access ELT controls or not. It also required ELT to be mounted on substantial aircraft structure.

Last edited:
Yup. But I don't think we are talking about new installations. The O.P is axing about a '46 Ercoupe that probably has had an ELT installed even longer than my ride.
(Edit: looking back, I see that you already mentioned that - old crap is still OK without the remote)
(( Edit 2: A decade isn't very long ago :) ))
((( Edit 3: In all the year's that it's been installed, it's never let me down. )))
Thread creep, Tom D was talking about new installations.

It's already been posted. 91.207 requries TSO C126 compliance. That TSO (and it's related RtTCA documents) requires the remote. The FAA isn't going to approve an STC for an ELT these days that doesn't meet C126.
Then think about it. wouldn't all STC Instructions include the remote switch, and my statement be correct.

Back