CFI's -- Would you sign them off?

And he cant remember the students performance and can’t rely on the evaluation he recorded and signed in the students training record.... If he rated the student proficient and now concerned the the isn’t.... Sounds like new found CFI ethics after failure.

I remember students from years ago, and how they flew. Admittedly I didn't have 70 students like the OP, but not recalling any details whatsoever from just three weeks ago does point to a failure in record keeping. On the other hand, having such records still does not obligate him to sign off the students now, especially since he does not even work there.

I remember students from years ago, and how they flew. Admittedly I didn't have 70 students like the OP, but not recalling any details whatsoever from just three weeks ago does point to a failure in record keeping. On the other hand, having such records still does not obligate him to sign off the students now, especially since he does not even work there.
Yea, it's not that I don't remember anything about how they fly its just that I can't remember specifics about their ADM, situational awareness, etc. Students that I flew consistently with (did majority of instrument or multi) I remember lots about--but I don't remember these guys well enough to say they're certainly ready.

As for record keeping, we have an online system that I no longer have access to, so those were my records that I can no longer see.

If it's a 141 school shouldn't the person that did theirfinal phase check have done it at that time, and if to long a time has passed shouldn't there be sops as to how they should be re checked. If part 91 then the person that did there checkride prep should have signed it off and it the time has expired whoever is re does the the checkride prep should sign it off.

If it's a 141 school shouldn't the person that did theirfinal phase check have done it at that time, and if to long a time has passed shouldn't there be sops as to how they should be re checked. If part 91 then the person that did there checkride prep should have signed it off and it the time has expired whoever is re does the the checkride prep should sign it off.

In Part 141, the stage check CFI evaluates the student and does not endorse pilot logbook for the test. The Chief Instructor is required to sign a Graduation Certificate and the IACRA stating the required training has been completed. The primary CFI is responsible to endorse the logbook and IACRA. Both the school and the CFI are tracked on success and failures. A 141 school must maintain an 80% first time pass rate to have their 141 certificate renewed.

If I had SEVENTY students I flew with over a short period of time I would be hard pressed to recall 2 particular students I flew with for only 3 and 7.

If I had SEVENTY students I flew with over a short period of time I would be hard pressed to recall 2 particular students I flew with for only 3 and 7.

Let’s look at the 70 student claim. If a flight lesson is 1.5, he could only give 5 lessons a day. Assuming a 7 day work week, that 35 lessons (52 hours a week) a week. A CFI with a 70 student load can give a student 1 lesson every 2 weeks. Or if the CFI worked a 5 day week the student could only schedule a lesson every 3 weeks. What student is going to do that?

In 24 weeks the CFI who only had 300 hours to start would have 1500 hours and be headed out the door. Each student would have between 8-12 lessons.

Let’s look at the 70 student claim. If a flight lesson is 1.5, he could only give 5 lessons a day. Assuming a 7 day work week, that 35 lessons (52 hours a week) a week. A CFI with a 70 student load can give a student 1 lesson every 2 weeks. Or if the CFI worked a 5 day week the student could only schedule a lesson every 3 weeks. What student is going to do that?

In 24 weeks the CFI who only had 300 hours to start would have 1500 hours and be headed out the door. Each student would have between 8-12 lessons.

Or if you are at a 141 school and are doing mostly phase checks you could be popping through students like crazy.

Just checked. I have given dual to 68 students.

You just described the average puppy mill. :)

Back