Want To Buy Lightspeed Thirty 3G Part

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
My Thirty 3G headset is in perfect condition except for the harness that connects the volume box to the airplane. The insulation is dried up and cracking, exposing the shielding.

Lightspeed may have used the same harness on other models. Below is a wide shot and also a closeup of the connector that plugs in, inside the volume box.

If you've got one of these on a dead headset, I could sure make use of it. Thanks, JJ

Thirty 3G Cable.jpg 3G Closeup.jpg

Lightspeed might sell such a replacement cable. Another option if you can't find it might be to get some heat shrink tubing and wrap it in that.

If you've never used it, it's not expensive and comes in many forms/colors/sizes
https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Heat-shrink-Tubing/b?ie=UTF8&node=700782011

slide it over the frayed area, heat up with a heat gun, hair drier, or in a bind a lighter or something and it will shrink around the wire and make a tight and professional looking repair.

I think this is a common issue on the older lightspeeds. I’ve got a 20xl and ended up taping the broken insulation. Heat shrink would be a better and more elegant solution.

I’m guessing anyone with older 30-3GS Likely have the same problem too.

Thanks guys. I thought about shrinking it but I'd have to use large shrink to get over either the plug(s) or the connector end, and that large of shrink probably wouldn't shrink down to as small as I'd need it to go. I may try electrical tape too, and build it up to where the large shrink has something to grip to.

There’s also a product called liquid tape that’s a brush on coating. I’ve never used it on anything like a headset cord that will get flexed around a lot so I’m not sure if it would hold up well.

Another thing I’ve used that’s kind of ugly but works and will insulate is hot glue.

Thanks guys. I thought about shrinking it but I'd have to use large shrink to get over either the plug(s) or the connector end, and that large of shrink probably wouldn't shrink down to as small as I'd need it to go. I may try electrical tape too, and build it up to where the large shrink has something to grip to.
Try cutting a slit through the heatshrink, slip it over the cable and then superglue the seam back together.

Thanks again everyone.

Asicer, I had no idea you could superglue this stuff. Went to the hangar this morning and slit it, glued it, then shrank it. Perfect. Thank you!

Back