After I solo?

Chesterspal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chesterspal
After I solo once or twice, am I allowed to take my own plane up on my own to ferry it from one location to another for my training with my CFI... say 30 miles or so?

Yeah, as long as you get an endorsement from your CFI for a flight from/to that particular location.

take a peak at the endorsements section of your log book. You'll get an idea of what will be allowable, and in some they are "more or less" in the order they will come.

Cross country training is required before you can go more than 25 miles, so until you get the proper training and endorsements, no.

Sounds like a good question for and ensuing discussion with your instructor.

Sounds like a good question for and ensuing discussion with your instructor.

He was the one who suggested it.

There is another airport less than the 25 miles I'd be restricted to, so I can possibly park at. Worst case is, I park at the airport we will train out of and then move when all is said and done or at least after I am checked out on cross country. Not a deal breaker for me.

I was lucky (wx) and knocked out my dual and solo cross countries very close to each other. My CFII knew I wanted to be able to fly into my home airport where our hangar is which is over 25nm. So I asked him if my home base could be the last stop on my final solo xc. I did that and then did a few laps there and when I landed back at my starting point my instructor gave me a solo XC endorsement with specific airports. So for the remainder of training was able to go from training airport to home base.

Just a note on that. If you have plenty of time (not working) it can be nice to start lessons from another airport. But even if your plane is 26nm away it will easily add over an hour on top of the lesson time. And if you get into fall you might run out of time to get back before dark and its very uncommon to get a night endorsement as a student pilot...but you have at least 3 months before that.

It's pretty awesome flying into your home airport for the first time as a student :)

He was the one who suggested it.

There is another airport less than the 25 miles I'd be restricted to, so I can possibly park at. Worst case is, I park at the airport we will train out of and then move when all is said and done or at least after I am checked out on cross country. Not a deal breaker for me.

Is 25 miles in the FAR?

Just a note on that. If you have plenty of time (not working) it can be nice to start lessons from another airport. But even if your plane is 26nm away it will easily add over an hour on top of the lesson time. And if you get into fall you might run out of time to get back before dark and its very uncommon to get a night endorsement as a student pilot...but you have at least 3 months before that.

To add to this point, repositioning an airplane each time a flying lesson is desired becomes very tedious after a while and will kill a student's enthusiasm after a while (in almost every case I've personally seen, the individual lost interest in continuing lessons). My suggestion would be to see if there is parking space at the airport where the instructor is based until the certificate is earned.

After I solo once or twice, am I allowed to take my own plane up on my own to ferry it from one location to another for my training with my CFI... say 30 miles or so?

If it were me, I would play it safe and get your instructor to endorse your logbook for this.

2) Repeated specific solo cross-country flights may be made to another airport that is within 50 nautical miles of the airport from which the flight originated, provided -

(i) The authorized instructor has given the student flight training in both directions over the route, including entering and exiting the traffic patterns, takeoffs, and landings at the airports to be used;

(ii) The authorized instructor who gave the training has endorsed the student's logbook certifying that the student is proficient to make such flights;

(iii) The student has a solo flight endorsement in accordance with § 61.87 of this part; and

(iv) The student has a solo cross country flight endorsement in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section; however, for repeated solo cross country flights to another airport within 50 nautical miles from which the flight originated, separate endorsements are not required to be made for each flight.

(e) Maneuvers and procedures for cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane. A student pilot who is receiving training for cross-country flight in a single-engine airplane must receive and log flight training in the following maneuvers and procedures:

(1) Use of aeronautical charts for VFR navigation using pilotage and dead reckoning with the aid of a magnetic compass;

(2) Use of aircraft performance charts pertaining to cross-country flight;

(3) Procurement and analysis of aeronautical weather reports and forecasts, including recognition of critical weather situations and estimating visibility while in flight;

(4) Emergency procedures;

(5)Traffic pattern procedures that include area departure, area arrival, entry into the traffic pattern, and approach;

(6) Procedures and operating practices for collision avoidance, wake turbulence precautions, and windshear avoidance;

(7) Recognition, avoidance, and operational restrictions of hazardous terrain features in the geographical area where the cross-country flight will be flown;

(8) Procedures for operating the instruments and equipment installed in the aircraft to be flown, including recognition and use of the proper operational procedures and indications;

(9) Use of radios for VFR navigation and two-way communication, except that a student pilot seeking a sport pilot certificate must only receive and log flight training on the use of radios installed in the aircraft to be flown;

(10) Takeoff, approach, and landing procedures, including short-field, soft-field, and crosswind takeoffs, approaches, and landings;

(11) Climbs at best angle and best rate; and

(12) Control and maneuvering solely by reference to flight instruments, including straight and level flight, turns, descents, climbs, use of radio aids, and ATC directives. For student pilots seeking a sport pilot certificate, the provisions of this paragraph only apply when receiving training for cross-country flight in an airplane that has a VH greater than 87 knots CAS.

2) Repeated specific solo cross-country flights may be made to another airport that is within 50 nautical miles of the airport from which the flight originated, provided -

(iv) The student has a solo cross country flight endorsement in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section; however, for repeated solo cross country flights to another airport within 50 nautical miles from which the flight originated, separate endorsements are not required to be made for each flight.

I had this sign off... at that time it was 61.93(d)(2)(ii)

There were also some very detailed instructions with "subject to the following conditions" that outlined VFR weather minimums that included no less the 7 miles visibility, copy of my flight plan and weather brieffing left with the dispatcher which was usually mine or another instructor, and a detailed list of the airports I could land at between the two points. Even though they still had me on a leash, it was pretty cool and gave me some added confidence to have my instructor sign this off.

To add to this point, repositioning an airplane each time a flying lesson is desired becomes very tedious after a while and will kill a student's enthusiasm after a while (in almost every case I've personally seen, the individual lost interest in continuing lessons). My suggestion would be to see if there is parking space at the airport where the instructor is based until the certificate is earned.

Yeah, really, I mean- hey, who likes flying airplanes just to go somewhere and do some more flying around in airplanes, ya know?

Holy hell, this place is friggin weird sometimes. (The rest of the time it’s downright bizarre.)

61.93(b)(1)

Ah, missed that, but it's been a long time since I was in this situation. I think what my instructor did was sign me off for about 5 airports that were nearby and the training area. I could fly to those places any time I wanted with out checking with him. Just had to make sure the weather was good.

Yeah, really, I mean- hey, who likes flying airplanes just to go somewhere and do some more flying around in airplanes, ya know?

Holy hell, this place is friggin weird sometimes. (The rest of the time it’s downright bizarre.)

It happens. Of the people I know who decided to buy their own airplane and base it somewhere other than where the CFI was, only one finished training. The rest gave up.

I'm not opposed to leaving the plane at the training airport. This would be best in that the closer field has no repair services, no fuel. I could end up stranded there.

Easier to drive then have to drag the plain around and the point about it getting darker towards the fall is something to think about. Get my training first, worry about home base later.

Thanks. Great to get all these comments by more experienced pilots who have " been there, done that".

It happens. Of the people I know who decided to buy their own airplane and base it somewhere other than where the CFI was, only one finished training. The rest gave up.

No way. No one would choose to do anything other than fly. Those people you’re referring to are quite obviously either dead or in jail. ;)

There's a beautiful plane at our airport. The owner just needed to take his written, some final airwork and his checkride. His plane is now about 40miles from his instructor. Its been 2yrs now and he hasn't finished.

My case was more complicated as I had to move the plane back home but it was late fall so it would involve night flight which my CFII would not endorse (and rightly so). I figured over 2hrs lost for each flight in extra drive time, prep and flight time. That would have sucked hairy you-know-whats. So in the end I needed to find another instructor. I was close to done but even paying cash my CFII didn't want to do the drive as he'd miss out on other flights, etc.

Plus I look at this way...if you are paying to store you plane away from your own hangar you have a crap-ton of motivation to get done. I'm definitely with @mondtster on this one. Sounds like the OP understands the downsides so at least he's aware.

I did this when I was a post solo student. I flew down and picked my CFI up for a lesson many times and it made things much more convenient for both of us. YMMV

Back