Southern Seaplane (LA)

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
I'm going to be in New Orleans (Friday - Monday) for a bachelor party in about a month. I was thinking of flying in early and doing something aviation related during the day before everyone else arrives in the evening.

One thought is to book a seaplane and instructor at southern seaplane for a few hours, get an introduction to seaplanes and fly around the area.

Anyone have any prior experience with Southern Seaplane?

Seaplanes are a blast and i highly recommend it for fun. But that place looks really expensive.

They are nice guys and have a good rep locally that they know what they're doing. They do seem to be on the expensive side but 'you only live once' unless you are a Buddhist.

Flying floats is a blast. I did my ASES & AMES with waterwings down in alabama. no experience with southern seaplanes.

I used to pick up/drop off at SSP occasionally. You're planning to have one of their people handle the flying, so you don't need a "read-in" on the low level routes (200') in and out. Its slap up against the Joint Base in Belle Chasse. Driving in: South on Engineer Road about 3 miles. Military and DEA/Customs traffic kind of heavy at times.

Smallest planes there are CE-185 amphibs operated by various companies in the oil business.

I used to pick up/drop off at SSP occasionally. You're planning to have one of their people handle the flying, so you don't need a "read-in" on the low level routes (200') in and out. Its slap up against the Joint Base in Belle Chasse. Driving in: South on Engineer Road about 3 miles. Military and DEA/Customs traffic kind of heavy at times.
Pretty simple procedures - they are at 500' now. I'd go on a Monday - we (LA ANG) don't fly on Monday's and we are 85% of the flying that goes on at Belle Chasse.

My son was ATC at JRB New Orleans. He flew with those guys a few times. He said it was fantastic, but isn’t a pilot.

I'm going to be in New Orleans (Friday - Monday) for a bachelor party in about a month. I was thinking of flying in early and doing something aviation related during the day before everyone else arrives in the evening.

One thought is to book a seaplane and instructor at southern seaplane for a few hours, get an introduction to seaplanes and fly around the area.

Anyone have any prior experience with Southern Seaplane?

At first glance, they did look pricey but I see Jack Brown's, who I think is reasonably priced, charges $265 for the Super Cub so no big difference. If you have money to burn then fly the Beaver!

Turns out that Southern does not have any availability during the window I am available.

On to plan B.

Last edited:
Turns out that Southern does not have any availability during the window I am available.

On to plan B.
Hammond Air Service at Houma (KHUM) is about an hour from Belle Chasse and its the place to go for seaplane rides and instruction. They have a seaplane base off the airport in addition to the FBO on the north side of the airport.

Hammond Air Service at Houma (KHUM) is about an hour from Belle Chasse and its the place to go for seaplane rides and instruction. They have a seaplane base off the airport in addition to the FBO on the north side of the airport.

Interesting. Do you know what seaplanes they rent as well as the rates?

Interesting. Do you know what seaplanes they rent as well as the rates?
Rates? Dunno. They always had the Cessna line, including CE 172. Most instruction was at the separate SP base on the Intercoastal Canal. Cross via the tunnel and turn left. Its urban but within the class D. Charlie Hammond is a legend. Old as dirt, May not still be with us. His son could be around. He used to make a few passes over the FBO in his F-14. Just like Corky Fornoff, also an airport resident. I used to work at KHUM and knew Charlie. Seems like every float pilot in the area was taught by Charlie, including my co-pilot.

Back