Handy airplane tips I've heard and now use.

Tire chalk.

If you have wheel pants that require rotating the wheel just so, to check tire pressure.

Get a stub of it for free from a tire shop.

Down here in dirt dobber country I have copper wool stuffed into the air intake ports for the wing/cabin vents and inside the fuel vent tubes.

It keeps the bugs out, and let's enough air through for venting.

If you ever experience a forced landing in a desolate area if you can find a Possum trail it will lead you straight to the nearest place where you can get run over by a car.

Use Collenite 845 Insulator Wax on everything that isn't fabric, great window cleaner, and the easiest way to clean any window or mirror.

Don't accidentally get it on the material used for spray in truck bedliners (various marketing names, like Line-X).

It doesn't damage it, of course, but it really likes attaching to it and since the bedliner is black and the wax a white-ish/yellow-ish paste, even a tiny amount on the black looks bad.

(In other words don't get too wild up near the overhang of the spray in bedliner when doing the box fenders in the back.)

It eventually comes off, of course. You can speed it along with very high pressure HOT water. This will also remove it from the finish you want protected, so you'll get to start over in those areas.

Black plastic bumpers and what not have a similar effect. Not a big deal but just avoid black trim and bedliners with the stuff.

No damage or problems, it just looks like crap. So you can't get sloppy applying it when at paint edges bordered by black parts.

Otherwise, like the stuff a lot.

Here's one even non-airplane owners can use: When you're stuck on a ramp somewhere without an open FBO and their oil funnels, you can pull out the dipstick and pour the oil down the dipstick to keep from spilling half of it on your engine. :yes:

Great tip. I just keep a plastic funnel in a zip lock bag and throw it in the back with the extra quarts that are back there for ballast.

Don't accidentally get it on the material used for spray in truck bedliners (various marketing names, like Line-X).

It doesn't damage it, of course, but it really likes attaching to it and since the bedliner is black and the wax a white-ish/yellow-ish paste, even a tiny amount on the black looks bad...No damage or problems, it just looks like crap. So you can't get sloppy applying it when at paint edges bordered by black parts.

Otherwise, like the stuff a lot.

Same goes for the non-skid on the top of low wing planes. Be very careful as you go along the edge of them.

5606 fluid has a bad habit of drying to a very gummy film in short order. It gathers dust and eats up those seals and scraper rings, and in cold weather it will roll the O-ring and cause a spiral fracture of it. You lose all the fluid.

I wipe the strut clean and leave it dry. There's fluid behind the seals that will lubricate it as it moves.

I end up having to use the local solvent dispenser under my wings (100LL) to get a solvent strong enough to dissolve that gunk. I go over the clean cylinders with 5606 to get the 100LL residue off and then wipe that off with a clean dry rag.

Now for my stolen contribution. You can rig up cheap static port plugs with weed eater line/string. Some people put water bottle caps on the end. I like putting a simple cloth or tape flag on the end. If you do the tape right you can put little cup/parachutes on the end. That way if you forget to take them out there is a chance they will self remove as you speed down the runway. Just pick a trimmer line size that plugs the hole without being too tight or snug.

Aluminum ducting dape run diagonally across the oil cooler for cold weather ops

15.5 gal stainless beer kegs make sweet fuel cans

Always carry a spare tube for your tires.

Of course lemon pledge for windows, Lucas spray on wax is great for a quickie wax job, also helps shed bugs.

GoJo (non pumice) takes off belly grime

Hoppes #9 bore shine takes off white lead exhaust streaks

Ratchet straps make good tie downs if you cut the hooks off and use locking carabiners.

Best flashlight is a headlamp with a flip up red filter.

Carry a leatherman, eventually you'll use it and it will pay for itself 10 times over.

Cut the poker down on fuel summers to the lowest point you can still sump with it, saves you from overspray.

Keep a little book of all short term due items, use good calendar synced to your phone to track date due mx

Balance your prop.

Verify your airplane is in rig

Dump flaps after landing in a heavy cross wind helps

Do all the owner assist mx, do owner assisted annuals, saves money and is some of the best training you'll get on your plane.

303_aerospace_protectant.jpg

303 protectant is the best 'armor all' product I've found for tires, plastic, vinyl, etc....

People at OSH were asking "what do you use on your tires?" because it retains that shiny black look very well.

It is also what Bushwheels recommends for UV protection on their tires.

Down here in dirt dobber country I have copper wool stuffed into the air intake ports for the wing/cabin vents and inside the fuel vent tubes.

It keeps the bugs out, and let's enough air through for venting.

I use stainless Chore Boys for that, they flow really well, that's why crackheads use them in their pipes.:lol: Plus it's much less reactive with aluminum when it gets damp.

So I'm wondering...all you guys who use Lemon Pledge...do you bring it from home?

Haven't tried it myself, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness ... but one of the oddest "tips" I've heard is to use a paste made with Adolph's Meat Tenderizer to remove bugs from leading edges. :dunno:

So I'm wondering...all you guys who use Lemon Pledge...do you bring it from home?

Most people buy a can from the store and leave it in a box of common maintenance and cleaning supplies in the back.

I know what you guys are thinking... "what the hell kind of question is that - do we bring Lemon Pledge from home?"

With a board this big I don't think I'll have to wait long. ;)

I know what you guys are thinking... "what the hell kind of question is that - do we bring Lemon Pledge from home?"

With a board this big I don't think I'll have to wait long. ;)

No, it's ok, you have a little short bus icon there next to the 'bad post' that only other people can see, so that's a sign to be slow and gentle.

I can't believe it, a gazillion people on this board and not one watches Family Guy.

There are a lot of good ideas here so I thought I would wake up the thread. As an A&P, I would never recommend anything to clean the landing gear struts other than 5606. The best thing to remove old sticky and dusty 5606 is 5606. Chrome does pit and corrode.

If you have a high wing consider sliced longwise pool noodles or pipe insulation on the trailing edge of wing while in hanger...

IMG_4535.JPG

Last edited:
Or if it's a Cessna, just glue it on. Won't change the aerodynamics much. ;)

Hey now, how many other 85hp rigs can ya get 105-110mph out of?? :)

Maybe I should get an STC for that though! lol...

Duct tape has no durability or strength.
Use gaffers tape. It's strong and sticks to everything..and comes off afterward without leaving a mess.

Duct tape comes in all kinds of quality strata. Some of it is very strong, but it does leave residue while gaffer's tape doesn't. If you ever DO need to excise duct tape, or Gorilla tape, residue, WD40 works very well as a cleaner... amazing, actually. As a lubricant, it should be AVOIDED at all costs. As a protectant or cleaner, it's great.

Back