Factor's leading to a complete overhaul?

Chesterspal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chesterspal
I understand hours alone is not all that determines when an older plane may need a complete engine overhaul... so what are the factors an owner needs to look at when purchasing a used plane from the 60's?

So far I have:

1) total engine hours

2) when the last overhaul was done

3) compression test

4) oil contents test

Actual performance of the engine, including oil consumption rates and how close can the airplane perform to book specifications in take-off distance, climb rate and so forth.

Also reliability. Our engine broke piston rings on one cylinder, we repaired that issue. Six months later, it ate an intake valve on another cylinder. We pulled it at that time as the engine had 2200hrs and 19yrs since overhaul. It was time.

Add financial needs of the shop to the list.

Pull a cylinder and look at the camshaft. If it's pitted/corroded and the lifters are being chewed up, it's time.

Brian

Infrequent use and infrequent oil change interval.

it depends....it could be anything that causes unusual wear and metal.

I will be looking at a plane over the weekend. Bit of a trip but thats OK. Plane is a later model Cessna. Had an annual over a year ago and then parked on pavement and never flown again. Prior owner claims very meticulous. Log books will fill a trunk, he says and he will produce all of them for me from day one.

Questions: Plane sitting for a year with no use. How bad is this?

We've talked about major overhaul and this one is "technically" close to needing one based on Cessna's published specs, although some say you can go longer if the annual comes back clean... bore-scope, oil test, compression, etc and the plane still meets operational parameters.

Also, does major overhaul always mean complete engine tear-down at a cost of $20,000+++ ?

Sitting for a year isn't good but only a good inspection will tell you what needs to be done. Do you happen to have a link to this plane?

I will be looking at a plane over the weekend. Bit of a trip but thats OK. Plane is a later model Cessna. Had an annual over a year ago and then parked on pavement and never flown again. Prior owner claims very meticulous. Log books will fill a trunk, he says and he will produce all of them for me from day one.

Questions: Plane sitting for a year with no use. How bad is this?

We've talked about major overhaul and this one is "technically" close to needing one based on Cessna's published specs, although some say you can go longer if the annual comes back clean... bore-scope, oil test, compression, etc and the plane still meets operational parameters.

Also, does major overhaul always mean complete engine tear-down at a cost of $20,000+++ ?

For a good answer we need more details. What's the make/model of engine? Where is it located? But even providing these details no one is going to be able to tell you how long THAT particular engine will last. There are an equal number of stories where someone bought an aircraft at close to TBO. Sometimes they run fine for hundreds of hours more and sometimes they blow up the next month. It's a gamble. If the aircraft you're looking it is close to TBO plan on an overhaul soon and price accordingly...

Yes, an overhaul is a complete tear-down. No, it can be significantly cheaper than $20K+ if you can find an A&P willing to perform a field overhaul. If you're going to send the engine to one of the major overhaul facilities, then yes, plan on at least $25K.

Good Luck!

For a good answer we need more details.

The engine would be a Continental 0-200A last overhauled by Mattituck.

Yes, an overhaul is a complete tear-down. No, it can be significantly cheaper than $20K+ if you can find an A&P willing to perform a field overhaul.

When you say "field overhaul" I assume you mean a small private shop located at the airfield. That would be my preference.

Anyone have any idea on cost based on this common Continental engine?

I understand hours alone is not all that determines when an older plane may need a complete engine overhaul... so what are the factors an owner needs to look at when purchasing a used plane from the 60's?

So far I have:

1) total engine hours

2) when the last overhaul was done

3) compression test

4) oil contents test

Oil pressure and consumption are big indicators. Low oil pressure can lead to a thrown rod which could ruin your day.

Back