Oshkosh - 2019

I had the same issue and I bet I have the same charger too.

I suggest bringing mosquito repellant in case you get stuck at FLD and have to fight your way out at night. We brought a small camping stove and table to cook some meals on. (Shopping near by and on premises at OSH)

I'm curious as whether any of you have any suggestions on a cooler? We are looking for something that will:
-Hold a decent amount of food.
-Fit in the baggage compartment (PA28R)
-Keep Ice for at least a day or two
-NOT remove too much money from my bank account.

Also, where are these water trailers? We could only find the filling station near homebuilts and spent way too much money on cold water bottles last year. Guess I didn't look hard enough!

I can hardly wait!
FWIW, I use a standard size Coleman cooler (nothing fancy) and keep it in the shade as much as I can. I also buy and freeze 3 one gallon water jugs to put in it versus bagged ice. It melts much much slower, doesn't fill the cooler with water, and as it melts I have cold water to drink. I usually only have to add one bag of ice on the last day or so. I stay Saturday through Thursday.

Thanks for all the great input everyone!
Now that I have the NOTAM in hand, it's probably time to begin thinking about personal minimums, alternate plans, hazardous attitudes/conditions, and arrival goals. If the stars align, I think I'll be there Saturday Morning! The goal is Fisk by 0730. I found that if I write these things down and put them in my Oshkosh binder, it's kinda like writing them into law; no choice, I have to respect them!

So how crazy will the Osh arrivals be Saturday am even if weather is good? I’m planning on getting there early Saturday and it seems a lot of others are as well.

So how crazy will the Osh arrivals be Saturday am even if weather is good? I’m planning on getting there early Saturday and it seems a lot of others are as well.

Shouldn't be too bad IF people fly like they're supposed to, weather cooperates, and ATC is on their A-Game.

Maybe itll be just you and I? Lol

Shouldn't be too bad IF people fly like they're supposed to, weather cooperates, and ATC is on their A-Game.

Maybe itll be just you and I? Lol
I think there are mass arrivals scheduled for Sat morning and Sat afternoon so you will have to avoid those.

I think there are mass arrivals scheduled for Sat morning and Sat afternoon so you will have to avoid those.
So I heard, but I plan on being over Fisk at 0730, which is earlier than the arrivals. OSH is only an hour and twenty minutes flight for me, so I can be flexible.

So I heard, but I plan on being over Fisk at 0730, which is earlier than the arrivals. OSH is only an hour and twenty minutes flight for me, so I can be flexible.

Nice! We normally try to be over fisk at 8am on Sunday morning, but moving it up to Friday or Sat this year also, weather permitting. Coming from AZ. Supposed to be an early Sunday morning mass arrival scheduled this year, but dont know the starting time yet.

As I recall, last Summer Saturday WX was bad, Sunday only opened up later afternoon. That left a lot to squeeze in that Sunday window, then stack up Monday morning.

One has to work with the weather at the time, from the home drome to FISKE. Any plans may well have to be adjusted. I say, leave when you can & ‘make hay while the sun shines’, so to speak.

I am going to try to go out as well... and camp. Is it possible to get there a day or two earlier before the show opens?

Yes! I'm really not sure how early you can get there, but the show starts on Monday and the NOTAM takes effect the previous Friday... I think that means that both ATC and CAP and volunteer marshallers are there by then! Normally most of the arrivals are in the two days before the show starts (Saturday and Sunday).

And how easy is it to to leave... say, on the second day? I would assume they have a time window to leave. Do you have to "Sign up" to leave? Or, just get in line with the others.

Piece of cake. Pack your stuff, load the plane, pull the plane into the aisle in front of you (so as not to blow over anyone's campsite), fire up, slap your "VFR" sign in the window, taxi to the nearest taxi lane and follow the marshallers.

There's no signing up, and you can leave any time the field is open (7 AM to 8 PM daily except when the field is closed for the airshow, generally around 2 until 6:30 PM).

This is one of those times you need to be on your game, though, and completely ready to take off before a tire turns. You may or may not get a chance to stop and check anything. You probably won't get a chance to do a runup... My favorite thing to do is a quick mag check as I rev up to begin taxiing on the grass. Just looking back at some video that EAA shot of me doing a departure and arrival, I ended up with nobody in line in front of me coming from where I was parked, and I stopped for exactly six seconds before being cleared for takeoff.

So, have the plane ready to go, get the departure ATIS (which is separate from the arrival ATIS), know what runway you're using and the proper departure procedure for it (most departures must remain at 500 AGL until clear of the Delta, and the 36 departure has you doing a 150º right turn immediately after liftoff) and have the departure runway tower frequency in and ready to go, before you even start taxiing from parking. Then, once you're moving you can keep your eyes outside and be ready for any instruction from ATC.

Here's what it looks like (this is approaching runway 27 from the north side):
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.51.03 PM.png
Above the right wingtip, there's a minivan and another wheeled contraption resembling a scissor lift that isn't lifted... Those are some of the air traffic controllers.

After making the right-hand turn you see above:
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.52.06 PM.png
That's a marshaller to the left, and an air traffic controller just to the left of the prop. The difference is that the controllers at Oshkosh always wear pink shirts. Note that we do not stop at the hold short line you see here, we pull all the way up to where the controller is, without any instructions over the radio. Also, note the Cessna starting to pull onto the runway from the other side.

Now, the Cessna is on its takeoff roll. You can see the controller in the grass on the left, and right next to the left wingtip you can see the "Monitor 121.75 now" sign. You'd best be monitoring it before you get there, because if you wait until you see that sign, they're likely going to be clearing you for takeoff before you get your radio tuned. If you hear "cleared for takeoff 27" you don't want to have to ask "was that for me?"
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.49.18 PM.png

Finally... While I don't have video of this I don't think, later in the week when there are a lot of departures, especially after the airshow on Sunday, they'll be using both halves of the runway, giving LUAW to an aircraft on the left as they clear the one on the right for takeoff and vice versa. They only need 1500 feet of lateral separation on the runway, so it'll be like this:

"N1234A, line up and wait runway 27 left side. N2345B, cleared for takeoff runway 27 right side. N3456C, line up and wait runway 27 right side. N1234A, cleared for takeoff runway 27 left side. N4567D line up and wait runway 27 left side. N3456C cleared for takeoff runway 27 right side...." etc. It is really a thing of beauty to watch these guys clear out several thousand airplanes in under three hours, and while it may sound hectic, it's also a thing of beauty to be prepared and be part of it.

I just found out I'll be presenting this year.

You know, I've been thinking I should volunteer to present again - I'd like to do a forum on flying with young children. I also gave a seminar locally last year on flying into Airventure that was pretty well received. Maybe some people that drove in or went to an outlying airport because they were afraid to fly in, or those who flew in for the first time could benefit from that as well.

It's been a while since I did it though, and I can't find on EAA's site how to volunteer to do a forum! Can you refresh my memory?

Oshkosh Rules start Friday when the NOTAM is turned on. Prior to that, you call the tower just like it was a class D airport. Have an idea where you're going on the field, the marshallers are NOT allowed on the taxiways at that point.
Once you exit in the appropriate areas, there will be Marshallers there. This is the reason I get there way early... who do you think those crazy people are? Our grounds guys work early lining the rows and setting out the cones. Arrivals the week before are not a problem.

This has been our practice for decades.

In fact, it's in our written employee interview notes: "What are you doing the last week of July?"

If they answer anything, they don't get hired. :)

This was Oshkosh #36 in a row. We are already planning for #37. OSH is not negotiable.
What do you do if they reply “Oshkosh?”

We’ve rented an RV again and are checking to see if Leslie’s mom and one of her sisters wants to join us. Leslie will be flying back from the 99’s conference in Dayton on Sunday and we’ll be heading straight up.

thank you for you advice... appreciate it.

My first 10 AM Monday morning forum !!!!! Apparently after 40 years I'm near the head of the line for time slots. You all come. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I'm going to be talking on, but what the hell, I've got 3 months to gin something up. :cheerswine:

Jim

What volunteer opportunities do people know about for this year? I volunteered for the One Week Wonder project last year and it was really rewarding to be part of such a cool effort. Maybe I can talk myself into going this year after all if there are some good things I can help with. :)

The Vintage Flight Line volunteers can always use people. We train new volunteers at 9AM and 1PM daily (only attend once). Then you can work on your schedule. Our operations center is roughly across the road from the Hangar Cafe.

The South 40 GA Flight Line is very desperate for volunteers. I've not heard where they're dispatching their volunteers from this year (last year we handled it in Vintage). If you come ask at Vintage, I'm sure we'll know by then.

No demo teams at Oshkosh this year. Please don't leave your folding chairs set up where they can blow into aircraft. We used to take unattended ones down, but now you just jeopardize your pilot friends who brought their plane for display with your inconsideration.

There's no particular reason to be on the burn line anyhow. The airshow is IN THE FREAKING AIR.
Just to update the record, the A-10 Demo Team just changed their schedule and now they will be at OSH19.

But I fully agree about leaving unattended chairs, etc. that can become projectiles.

The F35 demo will be up there for a couple days as well, but only in a short demo/heritage flight capacity.

You know, all y'all be famous. Pull up the airport in Google Earth, or Google Maps with Satellite View enabled. The Earth image was taken on 07/24/18. See if you can spot your plane!

Must only be in Google Earth. I just looked at Google maps and the pic is definitely not from last year, but appears to be much older.

Just finished reading all 15 pages from last year’s thread and I can hardly contain my excitement (as long as the wx cooperates) for this year!

We’re going to try and have our jets there all week (rotating throughout) and we’ll have a couple fly in the show. I turned down bringing in a jet so I can fly my plane in and camp. I’ve done the “military demo” 3 times, but have always stayed in the dorms. Our type org sucks, but we’ll have an unofficial group grouped together in spots reserved in VAC. Planning for 3 nights (don’t think my 9 y/o son will last any longer), now just needing to decide when to be there. Shoot, if it weren’t a 5 hr flight, I’d take him for the first half, bring him back mid-week, and then go back for the remainder! Lol

Just finished reading all 15 pages from last year’s thread and I can hardly contain my excitement (as long as the wx cooperates) for this year!

We’re going to try and have our jets there all week (rotating throughout) and we’ll have a couple fly in the show. I turned down bringing in a jet so I can fly my plane in and camp. I’ve done the “military demo” 3 times, but have always stayed in the dorms. Our type org sucks, but we’ll have an unofficial group grouped together in spots reserved in VAC. Planning for 3 nights (don’t think my 9 y/o son will last any longer), now just needing to decide when to be there. Shoot, if it weren’t a 5 hr flight, I’d take him for the first half, bring him back mid-week, and then go back for the remainder! Lol

What kinda jets do you speak of?
We are also very excited!

3x 12 in square plywood, at least 3/8 in thick.

That depends on the weight of your plane. My original boards were 1/2” painted plywood and my mains cracked after 2 Oshs. After that I made new ones out of 1/8” aluminum diamond plate.

Not my idea, but thanks...

Anything I should be bringing with me along the lines of spare parts, aka a "fly away kit" for my F33A? I guess the tires are a common size, so if I have a flat it shouldn't be too hard to get it fixed. What else am I not thinking of? I have all the stuff I need for securing the airplane, like tie downs, something for the tires to rest on, etc.

As I’ve mentioned here before, don’t do what I did. I actually brought plywood, but when I got there I looked around and didn’t see anyone else using it, so I said the heck with it. It took 4 men, giving everything they had, to move that Bonanza a few days later. :)

Anything I should be bringing with me along the lines of spare parts, aka a "fly away kit" for my F33A? I guess the tires are a common size, so if I have a flat it shouldn't be too hard to get it fixed. What else am I not thinking of? I have all the stuff I need for securing the airplane, like tie downs, something for the tires to rest on, etc.
Aircraft Spruce is one of the many vendors there. I wouldn't worry too much about bringing spare parts.

Aircraft Spruce is one of the many vendors there. I wouldn't worry too much about bringing spare parts.
And Basler is there to help if you need anything fixed. They bled a brake for us.

You’re going to the biggest GA Department Store in the world and worried about what to bring?

As I’ve mentioned here before, don’t do what I did. I actually brought plywood, but when I got there I looked around and didn’t see anyone else using it, so I said the heck with it. It took 4 men, giving everything they had, to move that Bonanza a few days later. :)

I made exactly the same mistake. Haha!

I'm starting to watch the calendar like a grade school kid does come mid May. I have been told there is a pretty full roster for us participating in the Cherokee 2 Oshkosh mass arrival on Saturday. I think they are allocated 50 planes.

I'll be the one with the Hershey Bar Wing lol....

Back