push pull conversion

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
are there any conversions for certified aircraft to convert a push pull to a normal throttle quadrant style
i have seen them for experimental but not certified
http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/throttles/index.html
Center_Throttle_Quad_3282_2.jpg

Easier to make throttle adjustments with the push pull style.

To me the lever type quadrants are really overrated unless the cable attached to them drag so badly that you need leverage.

Multi engines of course make sense but singles?

To me the lever type quadrants are really overrated unless the cable attached to them drag so badly that you need leverage.

Multi engines of course make sense but singles?
Well, levers do make sense where they stick up from a console (DA40) or are mounted to a side wall (Cub). But yeah, I'm with you when they are jutting out from an instrument panel.

What benefit would you gain from it? I can’t think of any.

What benefit would you gain from it? I can’t think of any.
Why does that matter? I can think of several mods available for Mooneys that claim speed gains on paper but in practice do little more than make the plane look different and they seem to sell just fine. If a person wants it, because they want it is enough. And if enough people want it just because they want it, someone will eventually meet the need of that market.

JMHO, but the only place levers a la throttle quadrants make sense is in multiengine airplanes.

Why does that matter?
In most situations, someone won’t typically go to the trouble to implement a design change unless you’ll gain a benefit from doing so. Assuming you missed it the first time, I’ll repeat it.

What benefits would you gain from converting a throttle quandrant from push-pull to a conventional lever/handle type configuration? I can’t think of any.

What benefits would you gain from converting a throttle quandrant from push-pull to a handle type configuration? I can’t think of any.
I find a quadrant much easier to use for frequent small inputs...y'know, like the kind you might make flying close form as lead drags you into the overhead for a section break.

Nauga,
who isn't really joking very much

The Beech Sierras and Skippers have lever quadrants. If I remember right, the Skipper with its fixed pitch prop used one of the channels (center?) for carb heat. With a botched landing or go around, one quick hand movement could move all the controls full forward. (The Mix would probably already been up.) But that seemed to be about the only benefit. The controls were easy to accidentally bump. The push-pull arrangement seems to me to provide better precision.

In most situations, someone won’t typically go to the trouble to implement a design change unless you’ll gain a benefit from doing so. Assuming you missed it the first time, I’ll repeat it.

What benefits would you gain from converting a throttle quandrant from push-pull to a conventional lever/handle type configuration? I can’t think of any.
Who made you the judge of that? There's got to be some benefit in the OP's mind, so maybe you just aren't as creative as the OP is? If you can't help someone out, how 'bout don't assume they can't read, or belittle them, too?

Vanity is a benefit. There is no reason to convert the two rear windows of an F model Mooney to the single rear window of the later models. There is no speed gain. There is no safety enhancement. There is no weight savings. No benefit other than vanity. And yet people do the mod.

Who made you the judge of that? There's got to be some benefit in the OP's mind, so maybe you just aren't as creative as the OP is? If you can't help someone out, how 'bout don't assume they can't read, or belittle them, too?

Vanity is a benefit. There is no reason to convert the two rear windows of an F model Mooney to the single rear window of the later models. There is no speed gain. There is no safety enhancement. There is no weight savings. No benefit other than vanity. And yet people do the mod.
We’re all entitled to our own opinion. We’ve seen these ‘brainstorm’ like ideas by this OP before, so I’m under the impression that he has zero intentions of actually doing this.

Last edited:
We’re all entitled to our own opinion. We’ve seen these ‘brainstorm’ like ideas by this OP before, so I’m under the impression that he has zero intentions of actually doing this.
Hey I’m a new airplane owner (officially as of yesterday:happydance:) and am just trying to learn more

There are STCs out there for mods that have no benefit other than vanity. That is a fact, not an opinion. I have no comment on the history nor the intentions of the OP.

I think we'd both agree that vanity only STC mods are rare and STC's that offer other benefits are much more common. But offering useful benefit is not a requirement to getting mod approved and approved mods with no useful benefit do exist.

I will also say that I see and agree with both sides of this. Having used both, plunger type engine controls are usually much more precise and easier to control. But I've also always felt aesthetics of plunger controls were generally lacking. Maybe I've just driven too many old clunker cars with bad carbs that someone gave up on fixing and instead cobbled up a manual choke with a plunger drilled through the bottom of the dash. The newer vernier type controls are better in this respect, but you generally don't find those on most 50 year old airframes.

Not being critical but question to the OP. If a throttle quadrant was something you desired and “just bought a plane” why didn’t you buy an airplane with a quadrant? I favored them as well but a nice clean airframe with good bones was more important. Enjoy your new toy. Don’t get hung up on trying to modify a design that was proven possibly even before you were born.

One benefit is being able to shove that throttle lever forward with your hand on the round knob, and yell, “Balls to the wall!” I mean, seriously, no one has ever sounded cool bellowing out, “Push-pull is fully pushed!”

One advantage to the quadrant is, you will look MUCH cooler when you quickly reduce power to idle and yell, "I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by!"

God intended for aircraft to be flown center stick, left hand throttle quadrant.

Don't dispute gospel.

In the name of Wilbur, Orville, and the Bernoulli Principle we pray, Amen.

One benefit is being able to shove that throttle lever forward with your hand on the round knob, and yell, “Balls to the wall!” I mean, seriously, no one has ever sounded cool bellowing out, “Push-pull is fully pushed!”
Even though the phrase "Balls to the Wall" didn't originate as reference to manual throttle controls at all. :)

I find a quadrant much easier to use for frequent small inputs...y'know, like the kind you might make flying close form as lead drags you into the overhead for a section break.

Nauga,
who isn't really joking very much
For center-mounted throttles (like in a Mooney or Bonanza) my preference is for push/pull knobs when flying formation...I tend to overcontrol with the lever type because I don’t have a good reference point for my hand/arm.

In airplanes like Stearmans, on the other hand, the lever type works quite well.

The only plane I've flown with a quadrant was the Piper Arrow. Personally, it didn't offer any advantages over the push/pull knobs in the Cessna aircraft in the club. Whatever floats your boat. You'll have to look to see if there is an approved STC for your plane to make the switch.

Even though the phrase "Balls to the Wall" didn't originate as reference to manual throttle controls at all. :)

Oh, so you’re the guy that yells, “Push-pull throttle control is firmly pushed as far forward as it will travel. Tally ho!” Sorry for hurting your feelings. ;)

Oh, so you’re the guy that yells, “Push-pull throttle control is firmly pushed as far forward as it will travel. Tally ho!” Sorry for hurting your feelings. ;)

I’m more of a “Yippee-Kai-Yay, full rental power” kind of guy!

I will also say that I see and agree with both sides of this. Having used both, plunger type engine controls are usually much more precise and easier to control. But I've also always felt aesthetics of plunger controls were generally lacking. Maybe I've just driven too many old clunker cars with bad carbs that someone gave up on fixing and instead cobbled up a manual choke with a plunger drilled through the bottom of the dash. The newer vernier type controls are better in this respect, but you generally don't find those on most 50 year old airframes.
I’m not trying to come across in the wrong way, I’m just being practical. I’ve never heard of anyone replacing a push-pull throttle quadrant for a lever style just to do it. It offers zero benefit to the user. If one desires such a thing, more power to them.

This is simply a brainstorm by a curious young mind.

For center-mounted throttles (like in a Mooney or Bonanza) my preference is for push/pull knobs when flying formation...I tend to overcontrol with the lever type because I don’t have a good reference point for my hand/arm.
I tend to find a reference for my hand/arm when using a quadrant. :) If my left hand is on it I much prefer a quadrant and tend to find a place to rest either side of my hand or arm for a reference. For a center throttle I don't really have a strong preference one way or the other, but I prefer a quadrant on the left over a knob in the middle.

I absolutely despise, with a capital D-E-S-P-I-S-E, pushbutton vernier controls.

Nauga,
and vernier madness

One advantage to the quadrant is, you will look MUCH cooler when you quickly reduce power to idle and yell, "I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by!"
Try "gate" or "burner" if you really want to impress.

Nauga,
toasty

I tend to find a reference for my hand/arm when using a quadrant. :) If my left hand is on it I much prefer a quadrant and tend to find a place to rest either side of my hand or arm for a reference. For a center throttle I don't really have a strong preference one way or the other, but I prefer a quadrant on the left over a knob in the middle.

I absolutely despise, with a capital D-E-S-P-I-S-E, pushbutton vernier controls.

Nauga,
and vernier madness
Yeah, it took a little bit to figure out how to keep the button pushed in on the vernier on my Maule without awkward muscle cramps. ;)

Back