Tie down on grass vs asphalt

Chesterspal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chesterspal
When I contacted one of the local muni airports about fees for ties downs the fellow gave me the price for grass and asphalt. When I asked which was better he said if it was his plane he'd go with asphalt because grass will cause more damage from moisture.

The airport closest to me has only grass tie downs. I'd rather park there because they're 15 minutes from my house whereas the next closest is around 40 minutes.

I can probably whip the grass around my plane down to the dirt when the manager is not around but am I taking a big chance going with grass?

What about placing cinder blocks down in the grass to make a pad that the wheels could sit on?

I might be missing something, but what will moisture from the grass do to the planes?

I am curious how the grass affects the moisture level of the ambient air around the plane compared to the asphalt.

Tim

I'd ask how deep the anchors for the grass tie-downs go and what type winds they can withstand. Granted, a tornado hitting the airport directly won't do much either way, but wet ground and some strong winds might send the plane for a ride if the anchors come loose.

Either way, I'd get a cabin cover at a minimum to help keep rain water out of the cockpit. Doors tend to leak...Just a thought.

Cheers,
Brian

Where are you located ?

I had a plane on grass in southern Maryland on a field that is in a creek valley. Always condensation in the cabin and lots of dew on the wings. In western OK, I would probably not care either way. Also, on grass you have to keep it mowed and there is always the chance of the airport mower chucking FOD onto your plane.

Asphalt gets roasting hot. That'll do more harm than damp grass. The only potential downsides? Dust and dog poo, since people tend to walk dogs on grass.

Turf can get soft in the wet seasons making it more difficult to move the aircraft. Otherwise NBD as long as the tiedowns are secure. Get a cabin cover for sure. Keeps prying eyes at bay and water and heat out. My AA1A had to live outside for about a year until I could get a hangar. It sat in the grass tiedown area.

I might be missing something, but what will moisture from the grass do to the planes?
You’ve never witnessed the effects of mechanical and electrical elements by exposure to a moist environment? Guess not.

Heat, UV, and moisture/condensation cause harm over time... it’s a known fact.

Ex. Moisture over time can corrode the interior of a brake cylinder necessitating replacement. Sitting on damp, moist grass becomes a breeding ground for mold and mildew too.

Last edited:
Turf is great, don't leave it there for years.

I don't think it would make much difference in the plane itself, but the components close to the ground, wheels, brakes, etc., would tend to stay damp. Three flat paving stones about two feet square, one for each wheel, would probably help a lot, and make it easier to mow around the plane as well.

Three flat paving stones about two feet square, one for each wheel, would probably help a lot, and make it easier to mow around the plane as well.
yep, my suggestion as well.

I know trailers I leave on grass get dirt splashed up on the tires and wheels from rain water. I could see more chance of dirt contaminated brakes and wheel bearings. How nice of a plane are we talkin here?

Depending upon the airport and how frequently they mow, grass can get high. Very high. High enough to hide obstacles while you taxi from your assigned tiedown, which you keep impeccably short personally (of course), to the runway. This can be bad. Very bad.
A frequently flown plane, in my completely unlearned opinion, would be better off in short grass (and the aforementioned patio blocks) than constantly on steaming hot pavement, dependent upon climate. If it's typically very cool and/or cloudy where you live, then I'm probably wrong. If it's hot, sun isn't rare, and you fly frequently, any issues with moisture from the grass would be flown off to keep any corrosion issues at bay (and, I think they'd be minimal anyway). You can dry things out by flying a lot. What better incentive?

Like the paver idea. If the manager would allow me to do this, that might be the way to go.

I would use a cover for the cockpit. See these on some planes. Especially if I go with a low wing that leaves the door vulnerable to rain.

Can also fabricate my own canvas covers for the wheels. I can keep the grass cut short with my gas trimmer.

Again, it's not the cost difference, they just don't offer tie downs on asphalt.

Last edited:
Like the paver idea. If the manager would allow me to do this, that might be the way to go.

I would use a cover for the cockpit. See these on some planes. Especially if I go with a low wing that leaves the door vulnerable to rain.

Can also fabricate my own canvas covers for the wheels. I can keep the grass cut short with my gas trimmer.

Again, it's not the cost difference, they just don't offer tie downs on asphalt.

Then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it helps:
Many years ago, my buddy and I staked down rubber roofing on a grass spot. Solved a lot of problems.
But, you do need a little pitch so the water runs off.
When the manager complained, I wrote him a check, post dated 2 years, so he could buy grass seed when we left.

Maybe, in the dead of night, I can pull out the grass and lay in Astroturf.

Will help me with the moisture issue and save the manager lots of time cutting the grass under my plane ;)

I don't think it would make much difference in the plane itself, but the components close to the ground, wheels, brakes, etc., would tend to stay damp. Three flat paving stones about two feet square, one for each wheel, would probably help a lot, and make it easier to mow around the plane as well.
I carry 3 x 1 ft square plywood about 1/2 thick for Oshkosh....keeps the tires from sinking into the grass/mud. I like the idea of the pavers better, may work as excellent ballast in the cherokee, too!

I know trailers I leave on grass get dirt splashed up on the tires and wheels from rain water. I could see more chance of dirt contaminated brakes and wheel bearings. How nice of a plane are we talkin here?
Big garbage bags around the wheels on the cherokee. Did that one year at OSH. Of course I took the wheelpants off years ago.

I normally park on tarmac without tie-downs. A storm was headed our way. Under such conditions, the airport authority lets us move the planes to an area of grass and patches of concrete but with tie-downs. When I was to move back to the normal parking sport after the storm, I discovered that the plane had become a formicarium. Yes, it was now occupied by millions and millions of ants who had decided that the plane was cozier than the original hole in the ground near one of the main tires. It took much work to eliminate the masses (including the eggs). The last of the holdouts died off once the plane had been back on hot concrete for a few days.

I normally park on tarmac without tie-downs. A storm was headed our way. Under such conditions, the airport authority lets us move the planes to an area of grass and patches of concrete but with tie-downs. When I was to move back to the normal parking sport after the storm, I discovered that the plane had become a formicarium. Yes, it was now occupied by millions and millions of ants who had decided that the plane was cozier than the original hole in the ground near one of the main tires. It took much work to eliminate the masses (including the eggs). The last of the holdouts died off once the plane had been back on hot concrete for a few days.

That was going to be my reservation about grass tie-downs: insects. Not as common on asphalt.

You’ve never witnessed the effects of mechanical and electrical elements by exposure to a moist environment? Guess not.

Heat, UV, and moisture/condensation cause harm over time... it’s a known fact.

Ex. Moisture over time can corrode the interior of a brake cylinder necessitating replacement. Sitting on damp, moist grass becomes a breeding ground for mold and mildew too.

Hogwash. Old wives’ tales. Asphalt gets steaming hot baking in the sun, and that heat is far worse for avionics than moisture from grass. Where does rain go on a paved ramp? Pools, puddles. Where does it go on a grassy area? Soaks in.

Grass tie downs at grass runways. It’s where the cool kids are. ;)

Attachments

• F8133668-2256-4605-B574-853160CF4554.jpeg
    F8133668-2256-4605-B574-853160CF4554.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 9
Could you imagine if houses were built right on the ground! Oh, the horror! Think of the school kids, etc., etc. Now get off my lawn! Unless you’re tying down…

Hogwash. Old wives’ tales. Asphalt gets steaming hot baking in the sun, and that heat is far worse for avionics than moisture from grass.
It could be poppycock, but I’m lead to believe that moisture is worse for electrical and mechanical components, while heat and specifically UV is the hardest on the upholstery.

Do you park your car on the lawn over night? The only planes I ever see tied down on grass are rotting away and haven’t been flown in years.

Do you park your car on the lawn over night? The only planes I ever see tied down on grass are rotting away and haven’t been flown in years.

I would venture to guess that they are parked out in the grass because they haven’t flown in years rather than they haven’t flown in years because they are parked in the grass.

Back