Dumped by Instructor?

Sebastian Thomas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SThomas
Hello all:

New here. First post. Kind of discouraged over something in my aviation life. Been trying to get my CFII at a local University Flight School and have had a hard time of it.

Had been working as a CFI in the past. I went on to do other things, then I started working in aviation again recently and it rekindled my passion for flying. Started on the CFII again which I dropped 18 years ago.

First day, the instructor tells me he will start me, but not finish me. “Then what’s the point?” I thought. But I started out with him. Took almost 10 hours of sim/ground to get back to instrument speed and clear the IPC. He’s a good instructor and a competent pilot. He is busy with students.

Only two lessons in on the actual double I and then he texts me that he’s too busy with the college students to fit me in. End of semester. He needs to do checks. 2 weeks stretched to almost 4. Every time I texted him, he’s like “I’ll try to fit you in” then I wouldn’t hear anything.

I’m sure over the last month he could have found ONE HOUR to sit with me on the ground portion. I’m frustrated because I feel I can’t get a straight answer from this kid. All I want to do is bang this thing out and get my CFI reinstated and my double I. Not sure if something else happened there or what the deal is.

Anyone else been through something like this?

not exactly, but I went to a bigger flight school for a little bit to finish up my private pilot and it took me about four instructors to finally find somebody who could dedicate their time to come and get me done. My advice to you, find someone else, this person obviously doesn't value you as a student

the best instructors will create a personalized lesson plan for you, worko scheduling, and book you and the plane three, four, or five Lessons out. When I finally finished my private, and eventually did my instrument, that's what those instructors did

Sounds like a flight school dedicated to the college program and anybody else is SOL. Not uncommon, in my experience. Find someplace else.

In the meantime...the Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures Handbook are available here...
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

The Flight Instructor-Instrument and other PTSs are here...
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/#flightInstructors

Bone up and save time and money. :cool:
Thanks! That’s good advice

The other drawback is he is like the ONLY CFI that can teach double I. That’s how shredded this place is. Some feeder airline sets up a table once a month with donuts and coffee and tries recruiting the students/instructors. Big change from the past when it was pay-to-play.

Yep. As a 50 something 500hr VFR pilot, I went to a local part 141 school to get my instrument rating. I had so much difficulty trying to schedule regular training flights, I finally just said screw it. I'll just wait another year and go do one of accelerated "finnish up" courses next year after I retire. It seems to me they really want the young guys who want the whole 141 experience with financing. Us "pay as you go" geezers who just do this for fun are low priority.

Hello all:

New here. First post. Kind of discouraged over something in my aviation life. Been trying to get my CFII at a local University Flight School and have had a hard time of it.

Had been working as a CFI in the past. I went on to do other things, then I started working in aviation again recently and it rekindled my passion for flying. Started on the CFII again which I dropped 18 years ago.

First day, the instructor tells me he will start me, but not finish me. “Then what’s the point?” I thought. But I started out with him. Took almost 10 hours of sim/ground to get back to instrument speed and clear the IPC. He’s a good instructor and a competent pilot. He is busy with students.

Only two lessons in on the actual double I and then he texts me that he’s too busy with the college students to fit me in. End of semester. He needs to do checks. 2 weeks stretched to almost 4. Every time I texted him, he’s like “I’ll try to fit you in” then I wouldn’t hear anything.

I’m sure over the last month he could have found ONE HOUR to sit with me on the ground portion. I’m frustrated because I feel I can’t get a straight answer from this kid. All I want to do is bang this thing out and get my CFI reinstated and my double I. Not sure if something else happened there or what the deal is.

POS! Karma will be his! What a way to discourage someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be contrarian here... but it sounds like he *did* warn you at the beginning that exactly this would happen; that he'd be able to get you started but then get too busy. You made the choice to go with him anyway. So I understand that it's frustrating, but it sounds like he didn't lie or misguide you or anything.

CFI's that are qualified to take other CFI's are in short supply, and I'm not sure what to suggest. What region of the country are you in?

Not to be contrarian here... but it sounds like he *did* warn you at the beginning that exactly this would happen; that he'd be able to get you started but then get too busy. You made the choice to go with him anyway. So I understand that it's frustrating, but it sounds like he didn't lie or misguide you or anything.

Just what I was going to say. Said he couldn't finish you, but you went with him anyway. He told the truth. Just need to move one.

Why is he the only one to teach CFII?

One bad issue with the current instructor culture is the time-building mentality. A lot of CFI's will jump to the students who will give them the most hours, or the better pay. There aren't many good teachers in all of the instructors out there.

Don't take your "dump" hard. Find a new instructor and clearly state your intentions in the first meeting. If he/she can't finish you out, don't fly with them. Judge their current schedule for themselves. Even if you want to start later, ask what their schedule looks like this week. If it's too packed to fit a flight in, they probably don't have time for you.

Under Part 61 any CFII may train a CFI to become a CFII, but having an CFII with little or no instrument training experience would be a poor choice.

Last edited:
It is true that he stated that in the beginning, and being a Part 141 school and course (I am taking it 141) I understand the college students come first. My issue is that he really didn't give me a heads up before just cutting me from the schedule. When I texted him for the coming week's schedule (April 12) he stated the next few weeks would be busy. "But he'd see what he could do". There was just no communication there, and the following week when I asked him for a lesson, the same reply came. And the following week...and last week.

Should also state that apparently he is the only one who can train CFII at this school and there isn't an alternative for 50 miles.

Should also state that apparently he is the only one who can train CFII at this school and there isn't an alternative for 50 miles.

Any CFII can train another CFI to be a CFII.

CFII is relatively straightforward as far as checkrides go. You're putting two things you already know how to do together — instrument flying and instructing. Grab a safety pilot* and fly under the hood from the right seat, and explain what you're doing. When you're proficient get the 3 hours with a CFII within 60 days and the signoff. You can do that quickly so the 50 miles to find another one shouldn't be a big problem.

*Might want to alternate between two people...one who isn't IR to see if your explanations make sense and one who is to make sure you're not doing anything incorrectly.

Anecdotal but I need a BFR and it seems like a flight instructor is hard to find. my home field used to have a few instructors; now they tell me there is only one and I can't even get him to call me back.

Any CFII can train another CFI to be a CFII.

CFII is relatively straightforward as far as checkrides go. You're putting two things you already know how to do together — instrument flying and instructing. Grab a safety pilot* and fly under the hood from the right seat, and explain what you're doing. When you're proficient get the 3 hours with a CFII within 60 days and the signoff. You can do that quickly so the 50 miles to find another one shouldn't be a big problem.

*Might want to alternate between two people...one who isn't IR to see if your explanations make sense and one who is to make sure you're not doing anything incorrectly.

Thank you! Good advice

. . . I’m sure over the last month he could have found ONE HOUR to sit with me on the ground portion. I’m frustrated because I feel I can’t get a straight answer from this kid. All I want to do is bang this thing out and get my CFI reinstated and my double I. Not sure if something else happened there or what the deal is. . .
Just an observation - the young, time building instructor may not want to spend time giving ground lessons when he could be in the air building hours. I am not saying that is right - but I see that mentality often. I am fortunate that I am working with a retired CFI and he is not at all interested in building more flight hours. He likes instructing and the supplemental income that comes with it. An hour of ground or an hour of flight time is the same to him. I see some other younger CFIs that are, understandably trying to build every flight hour possible. That flight hour is much more valuable to them than an hour of ground - even if they pay the same. Good luck - I hope you find someone who's schedule works with yours.

My advice would be to find another flight school...anywhere in the Country...and knock it out as an accelerated program. ATP Schools is probably the biggest and most popular (but certainly not the cheapest). There are plenty of other schools out there too, do your research. The big thing to consider is that the school can devote instructor resources and secure a DPE in a reasonable time frame. There's nothing worse than being trained and ready to go, but no DPEs available to test and running out of time.

My advice would be to find another flight school...anywhere in the Country...and knock it out as an accelerated program. ATP Schools is probably the biggest and most popular (but certainly not the cheapest). There are plenty of other schools out there too, do your research. The big thing to consider is that the school can devote instructor resources and secure a DPE in a reasonable time frame. There's nothing worse than being trained and ready to go, but no DPEs available to test and running out of time.

I agree. Theres no reason this can’t be knocked out in short order if both the student and instructor devote their time to getting it done. With good weather and an average student I don’t see why this couldn’t be done in 3 or so days.

I'm being vague on purpose as I don't know who reads these boards, but let's just say the Spanish had an influence here. ;)

My first instrument instructor left mid-way to go work for SkyWest. The person he recommended after a few flights went to work for Flight Safety as an instructor and told me and another student that he didn't have the time to teach after work anymore. The following guy told me that we would have to start all over again with the training as he had a certain way to teach and I may have picked up some bad habits this was before we ever flew together... including the x-country work, I was already 35 hours into it.. needles to say he failed the job interview.. Finally found this guy, he took me up, ran me through the wringer on all the PTS, we landed, debriefed, he gave my outline on what we needed to polish up for the check ride.. about 15 hours later including the check ride... Bingo...

Goes back to the old saying... "you're gonna kiss some frogs in life... don't let it get ya down."

My first instrument instructor left mid-way to go work for SkyWest. The person he recommended after a few flights went to work for Flight Safety as an instructor and told me and another student that he didn't have the time to teach after work anymore. The following guy told me that we would have to start all over again with the training as he had a certain way to teach and I may have picked up some bad habits this was before we ever flew together... including the x-country work, I was already 35 hours into it.. needles to say he failed the job interview.. Finally found this guy, he took me up, ran me through the wringer on all the PTS, we landed, debriefed, he gave my outline on what we needed to polish up for the check ride.. about 15 hours later including the check ride... Bingo...

Goes back to the old saying... "you're gonna kiss some frogs in life... don't let it get ya down."

Thanks for support and advice. I appreciate everyone here giving their time and counsel.

I'm being vague on purpose as I don't know who reads these boards, but let's just say the Spanish had an influence here. ;)

You might be near me. I live in Miami but work/fly out of KLNA. Lots of schools that are less "puppy mill" once you start moving north out of Miami. Palm Beach Flight Training at KLNA is a good example.

You might be near me. I live in Miami but work/fly out of KLNA. Lots of schools that are less "puppy mill" once you start moving north out of Miami. Palm Beach Flight Training at KLNA is a good example.

Thank you for the tip. :)

Back