Visiting San Diego - Plane Rentals - Catalina Flight?

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Im going to be visiting San Diego next week and would like to go flying around a bit. Does anyone have recommendations for a flight school to rent from?

I’d like to be able to get a checkout and take a plane for a day to Catalina, but I’m guessing that airplane availability may not allow that in the area. I’m at about 300 hours TT and have mostly been flying a 182 lately.

If the Catalina option doesn’t work I’d still like to go up with a local instructor for an hour or two and check out the area from the sky.

Thanks for any info/help.

On those kind of deals it’s a lot easier to just go with an instructor. That is if that works out with #’s onboard and the rest. That’s compared to a checkout.

Check the NOTAMS, but i think Catalina is closed for runway repave.

The Notam I checked showed the airport out of service until the 15th. I’m sure that’s likely to get pushed back though.

Even if Catalina isn’t possible I’d still like to go up for a flight along around San Diego. I’ll cold call a few of the schools tomorrow but thought I’d see if anyone here had any good Pireps on a rental/school in the area.

check out plus one flying club, they have some great rentals

Join Plus One Flyers. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Catalina opened last week. You can ask the instructor to do your club checkout as a Catalina flight.

Was going to recommend plus one as well, extensive fleet and you don't have to deal with the usual nonsense of flight schools

I was just vacationing for the week. I did a 182 checkout with first flight and was told I could fly to Catalina if I wanted (but the runway was closed)

They were really great about it and it was the best away from home flight/checkout I’ve done yet.

No nonsense like I’ve experienced other places.

Back