fuel shut off valve problem?

cessna1502978

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Butler2978
Hi All new owner and I was told to that I have a fuel shut off valve problem. I own a 1967 150 g and the valve turns off but I can turn either all the way to the left or to the right off would be straight up. Is this the way it is or is it no good?

If you can turn it past where the stops are, the aircraft is unairworthy. Whether it can be repaired short of changing the valve, depends on what is allowing that to happen.

Hi All new owner and I was told to that I have a fuel shut off valve problem. I own a 1967 150 g and the valve turns off but I can turn either all the way to the left or to the right off would be straight up. Is this the way it is or is it no good?

It's only supposed to turn 90 degrees.

Handle loose?

On the 150's I've flown the handle faces forward when the fuel is on or 90 degrees counterclockwise for off. It shouldn't turn through 180 degrees. Take the screw out of the handle, lift the carpet up to expose.the valve and look at it and/or post some pictures.

Mine is not on the floor like a 172 but rather on the side in between the seats. off is straight up but on is either left or the right. It moves 180 and at 90 the fuel is off. It passed the annual but a cfi caught it

The side wall is the standard location for the 150. It still should not turn more than 90 degrees. The handle might be loose which would be an easy fix. The valve may be damaged internally. Either way, you should NOT fly it until this is resolved. It shouldn't have passed annual, but the sad fact is that most people: mechanics, students, instructors, NEVER turn the fuel selector to OFF, so it gets missed. But if the valve itself is damaged it may leak or suck air or otherwise fail to deliver fuel to the engine (and nowhere else).

Mine is not on the floor like a 172 but rather on the side in between the seats. off is straight up but on is either left or the right. It moves 180 and at 90 the fuel is off. It passed the annual but a cfi caught it
Any chance of getting a picture of the install ?, thanks

It shouldn't be able to turn more than 90 degrees.

The side wall is the standard location for the 150. It still should not turn more than 90 degrees. The handle might be loose which would be an easy fix. The valve may be damaged internally. Either way, you should NOT fly it until this is resolved. It shouldn't have passed annual, but the sad fact is that most people: mechanics, students, instructors, NEVER turn the fuel selector to OFF, so it gets missed. But if the valve itself is damaged it may leak or suck air or otherwise fail to deliver fuel to the engine (and nowhere else).
It's not in the sidewall. It's in the structure under the front of the seats. The seats have to come out and access panels removed to see it. The valve travel stop is inside the valve and is busted and the valve could be positioned partly closed without any positive stop indication.
A defective valve won 't suck air. Not in a gravity system. It will leak.

Thank you for all the replies. I get it is broke and needs replacement but ai is not leaking and not sucking air, it turns off at 90 and delivers fuel as well. I am currently looking for one i can not believe the cost WOW i guess this is what ownership is all about.

The repair kit https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/repair-kits-for-cessna-fuel-valves/
just includes seals and stuff.

If your valve boldly turns to where no valve has turned before, it seems more likely that the problem is a broken casting. But I ain't no A&P, so I'm sure I am wrong.
That kit might have two parts applcable to the 150's valve. That valve is a typically primitive plug valve that relies on lubricated metal-to- metal contact. Its stops are inside and have likely been damaged by someone forcing the valve, which happens when the lube diappears and the valve's rotor starts galling against the bore and stiffens up. The handle also gets sloppy, so without the internal stops you can't tell if the valve is fully open or closed. Dangerous. And those valves are rare and expensive.

Regular maintenance can prevent so much expense...

Back