Cumulus Clouds and IFR

Lando

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lando
As an instrument rated pilot who hasn’t spent nearly enough time in actual IMC yet, I’m curious what people’s tolerances are for going through cumulus clouds vs. asking for a deviation. Is there a general rule of thumb for what is tolerable and safe?

As an instrument rated pilot who hasn’t spent nearly enough time in actual IMC yet, I’m curious what people’s tolerances are for going through cumulus clouds vs. asking for a deviation. Is there a general rule of thumb for what is tolerable and safe?

I like punching-through the smaller cu; if they're towering or dropping precipitation...forget it. It'll be (very) bumpy inside, and don't forget that it's not uncommon to pick-up ice inside just about any cu. Your "tolerable" level will become refined with experience, but every cu is a "baby-thunderstorm" thus your cautious approach is apt. Fly safely.

Cumulus: okay, maybe some bumps
Towering cumulus: avoid, definitely big bumps and probably ice
Cumulonimbus: give a wide berth, will rip the wings off and then ice up what’s left

If the tops are under 10,000 feet I will usually punch through them. If they're above 10,000 ft they're probably either going to have ice or towering or both.

The ones at low altitudes aren’t terrible. You’ll get bumped around but it shouldn’t be too bad. The towering cumulus with extensive vertical development are the ones you should avoid. But you probably won’t get near any of those unless you’re flying turbine equipment.

Are they associated with good weather or bad? "Fair weather cumulus" is NBD, I think (my only experience with them is VFR over or under - lots of them in Florida).

I'll echo the advice so far. Towering Cu are no fun. Avoid if possible. Fair weather Cu are bumpy but typically little else. If the Cu are getting thick and you can't top most of them on a summer day, it may be time to quit flying, as they may be bubbling soon toward CBs. If you are at 9-10K over an undercast with a few buildups, then ask for deviations around the buildups as needed and keep an eye on the developing WX.

Just remember when you are sizing them up you are at least a few thousand in the air. I was amazed at how puny clouds I should avoid looked at 8,000 feet.

When I was young and stupid I would fly through the tops of building CU when they were less than 8k ft. It's amazing how much warmer the OAT is inside those things. Gives you an understanding of how they build so quickly.

Now if it looks at all like a cauliflower I go around. I don't even like to go under if I can help it.

Be careful drilling holes in Cu if it’s near, or below freezing - you’re much more likely to pick up ice in cumulus than stratus. And it accumulates faster, too.

If the tops are under 10,000 feet I will usually punch through them. If they're above 10,000 ft they're probably either going to have ice or towering or both.

What do you use to determine the tops if you're in IMC?

Thanks for the insight everyone, just what I was looking for! So is a widespread area of cumulus more than a couple thousand feet thick less concerning than a smaller area that extends 1,000 feet above the rest of the cloud?

If you can find a more experienced pilot, ask if you can tag along. You will eventually find what is too dark and ugly for your tastes.
I have noticed that water spouts & tornados favor the south or west side of cells, so be careful when diverting. Be careful. you will be OK in this area in a year. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight everyone, just what I was looking for! So is a widespread area of cumulus more than a couple thousand feet thick less concerning than a smaller area that extends 1,000 feet above the rest of the cloud?

If you are on top of an undercast and it is not building, then you will usually be in the clear and smooth. This can be pretty common downwind of the Great Lakes in late spring or early summer. This "lake effect" weather is benign but often MVFR, and it's simple, safe, and comfortable to fly on top, dodging random buildups if required. (In the winter or early spring it's a massive ice machine.) And if the overcast is due to a indolent stationary front or closed low with relatively low tops, then flying in the clag for miles is not that big a deal and not that bumpy as long as there is no icing potential. I've had a few flights like that where I didn't see the ground except on departure and final approach. Nothing but gray in between. But usually it's desirable to get on top of low layers if possible to the clear sky above, or at least between layers.

If the undercast is at 9000 and building up toward you with taller buildups around and frontal activity or widespread convection, that's a whole different story. It's often safer to fly underneath this kind of weather, if practical, but often uncomfortable. It's not that much fun to get caught on top of a building cumulus layer on a hot, humid day in a light single. If the weather is going to be like that, fly early before things build out of hand. It's usually not possible to stay above the tops in a light single.

As you fly more in various weather conditions, you will gain experience about what you are comfortable flying in and around. The good news is today, in contrast to yesteryear when I earned my IR, we have much better in-flight weather awareness in the cockpit. Punching though the clag with little or no precip on the NEXRAD is one thing. If the NEXRAD weather is lighting up ahead of you or around you, it's an obvious heads-up to divert.

The questions you are asking is what I was asking my instrument instructor during IR training. We did a lot of actual IFR during training, so I answered a lot of those questions in flight with an instructor. If he wasn't too worried, I wasn't too worried, and I learned a lot about what you can fly in, and what was approaching weather I didn't want to tackle in my plane.

The initial post made reference to IMC. I thought you were replying to that.
nah, i dont 2 thing...ice and embedded TS. My punching through was just that, punching through, not solid imc for 200 miles. 5-10 mile wide cloud banks where i can see the tops when approaching or sct cumulus where i dont feel like "canyon flying" the clouds.

In my small plane, If I can see it and avoid it I will. No sense bouncing around when a simple deviation left or right will keep me in smooth air.

It keeps the passengers happy as well.

The other day, while the parting an airport, I punched in at around 800 feet. I was very happy when I finally came out of the tops at 3000 feet.

Getting bumped around in the goo for 5+ minutes is no fun. I normally hand fly in the situations just so I don’t have an aircraft that is overstressed with the auto pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back