How is the yoke secured?

Chesterspal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chesterspal
How is the yoke secured to the shaft, by set screw or is it pinned through?

I ask because so many yokes are missing all their paint.

Aircraft specific question.

What type of aircraft as they will be different by brand.

- 1967 Mooney M20E was secured with a simple through bolt and nut.
- 1968 Beechcraft E33A was secured at the center shaft with two "C" type brackets and set screws (x2 upper and x2 lower). The Beech Rams Horn control wheels are secured to the control arms with three bolts and lock nuts.
- 1958 Beechcraft Travel Air is the same and pretty much all Beech's that used the single, center control column used this type of attachment.

In both cases, the control arm (Beech) and control wheels (Mooney) were very easy to remove and send out for refurbishment. I had my Mooney control wheels sand blasted and powder coated when I did the paint and interior upgrades.

Cheers,
Brian

What’s paint got to do with it?

I'm going to guess that the OP is asking why those that are missing paint haven't been removed and refurbished. Most are easy to remove and fairly inexpensive to recoat, so I have no idea other than cheap owners/flight schools that don't care what the interior looks like....:rolleyes: :p

Brian

I'm going to guess that the OP is asking why those that are missing paint haven't been removed and refurbished. Most are easy to remove and fairly inexpensive to recoat, so I have no idea other than cheap owners/flight schools that don't care what the interior looks like....:rolleyes: :p

Brian

Oh. With all the things that are clamped on to yokes I wouldn’t waste money keeping the yoke tube painted if I was renting them out

What type of aircraft as they will be different by brand....Brian

Thanks for your serious reply, Brian

Actually, I'm looking to purchase a Cessna 150 or 152 and prefer to keep what I own looking decent.

I think it says a lot about a person if their plane, like their car, is a pigsty.

I think it says a lot about a person if their plane, like their car, is a pigsty.

Wow.... years ago I was doing some property management for a real estate office.... the broker told me when "renting a property, meet the prospective tenants at the curb, look at their car, if it is a pigsty... well you know where I am taking this..."

I dunno....the way he phrased it the Tina Turner song popped into my head

Avion Research STC'd Cessna control wheel installation:

http://www.avion.com/CessnaControlWheels.html

http://www.avion.com/images/CessnaCWImages/Cessna CW Install Instr W STC.pdf

EDIT -

My 1963 172D control wheel attached to the shaft differently. Two long rivets secure the control wheel to the shaft. The holes for these rivets are drilled vertically through both the control wheel and the shaft.

When I installed the Avion control wheels, Avion provided two long bolts with locking nuts to replace the rivets, and new holes were drilled horizontally through the shaft, but spaced between the existing vertical holes so as to preserve the structural integrity of the shaft. Drawings in the Cessna 172 1963-1974 parts manual, Figures 147 and 148 show how Cessna did it on the early 172s.

The 150 illustrated parts manual for 1970-1977 models is available for download free from Cessna. The control wheel attachment is shown in Figure 64, page 328. It uses two long rivets like my 172, except the holes are horizontal.

https://support.cessna.com/docs/custsupt/cessnasupport/IPCFiles/P691-12.pdf

Last edited:
Back