Garmin G5 AI - pros/cons & experiences

Gotta be a way to calibrate that. Or get a replacement. I helped do the checks on a friend's, and both of his G5s were dead-nuts on.

I never checked the backup, I’ll have to do that...and I’ll try looking through the settings to see if there is an adjustment parameter.

Tom

I had all the pitot/static instruments overhauled at the same time as the Dual G5s install, everything worked great when checked with a test set.

I compare with field altitude, GPS altitude accuracy is 10’ so I use altitude on the approach plate. My factory altimeter is a little high as well, about 15’.

Tom

Or even the runway end elevations listed on the airport diagram. Probably the most accurate.

I think if you ask radio shops that have tested the G5s, they'll tell you they're usually extremely accurate. Most likely your mechanical gauges are off a little. Right or wrong, I set my G5 to the relevant altimeter setting then just set the altimeter to match. They're close, within 20' or so.

I compare with field altitude, GPS altitude accuracy is 10’ so I use altitude on the approach plate. My factory altimeter is a little high as well, about 15’.

Field altitude is the highest point on the airport, though. At my old home base of KMSN, the field elevation is 887, but that's at the threshold of runway 21, and far from any ramps. The elevation of the ramp our club was based at was more like 840.

Are you using field elevation or TDZE from the approach plate? Are you taxiing to the touchdown zone for that runway when you take your measurement?

Are you using field elevation or TDZE from the approach plate? Are you taxiing to the touchdown zone for that runway when you take your measurement?

This is Florida, all elevations are same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only way to check accuracy is to use the test set. Even when at the point with known MSL elevation or comparing to WAAS GPS altitude, you can’t expect your altimeter to match as local altimeter settings can be a bit off. Even with the fresh ATIS.

My g5 is also dead on for altitude, guessing more accurate for airspeed also.

In cruise the tapes are fine, but out of the corner of my eye, say during final, holding speed with the legacy dial seems easier than trying to read a number. Neuroscience backs that up...precognitive aspects of visual recognition and all...

Any estimates for # hours for an install on the G5 AI? According to Spruce, the GMU11 magnetometer is required even for the AI version. That's another $400 or so....

Any estimates for # hours for an install on the G5 AI? According to Spruce, the GMU11 magnetometer is required even for the AI version. That's another $400 or so....

Magnetometer is definitely not required for AI only installation. Usual install for AI only is around 5 hours, it's really very simple.

Magnetometer is definitely not required for AI only installation. Usual install for AI only is around 5 hours, it's really very simple.
That's what I thought, but here's the email direct from Spruce:
"Will all the functions on the Garmin G5 work without the magnetometer?
No the GMU 11 magnetometer is required for certified G5 installations.

Is Spruce clueless or trying to upsell?

G5 Attitude system, STC kit does not come with a GMU11 nor is it required.

G5 DG or HSI system, the STC kit comes with GMU11, GMU11 is REQURED.

I installed mine myself (w/ A&P supervision) in about 10 hours. Most of that time was spent on the pitot-static system.

I just got mine back from the shop. 5 hours install time ($75/hr “VIP rate) included slight panel mod (a switch had to be moved) rerouting and replacing vacuum hoses, all paper work and log updates. My logs were a little incomplete/ disorganized so he spent two hours on that. Both of my old AI’s were vacuum operated so I am happy now that they are independent.

Update...got another email from Spruce correcting this...other posters have stated the GMU not needed.

Back