Jet in the water in Jacksonville

I grew up about a mile from NAS JAX. Watching CNN, one of the passengers on board said it landed hard, bounced a couple of times, swerved left and right, then went off the runway into the St. Johns river. Weather was nasty with rain, lightning, thunder. Apparently a number of pets aboard didn't survive.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/04/us/jacksonville-plane-skids-into-river/index.html
I will admit that pets being killed hits me harder than humans being killed.

"Flying around or through areas of convection can be dangerous as it can create heavy turbulence in the air and a wet runway, leading to the threat of hydroplaning upon landing," he said. The White House called to offer help as the situation was developing, the mayor said.

Bwahahahaaa. Yeah bad for the pets.

Landed on 10 in this...

KNIP 040145Z 29008G16KT 3SM +TSRA BR SCT008 BKN015CB OVC032 24/22 A2999 RMK AO2 TSB04 FRQ LTGIC OHD TS OHD MOV E T1 SET P0063 T02440222 $

70 degree crosswind, 8G16. Needs skill for a little plane, but I wouldn't expect that to bother a jet much.

70 degree crosswind, 8G16. Needs skill for a little plane, but I wouldn't expect that to bother a jet much.
Huh? 290 and landing on 10 is almost a dead on tailwind. And heavy rain/tstorm too. Like American down in Jamaica a decade or so ago.

Huh? 290 and landing on 10 is almost a dead on tailwind. And heavy rain/tstorm too. Like American down in Jamaica a decade or so ago.

The reciprocal of 10 is 190, isn't it?

290 is 70 degrees to 360 + 10 => 80 degree crosswind (not 70).

The reciprocal of 10 is 190, isn't it?

290 is 70 degrees to 360 + 10 => 80 degree crosswind (not 70).

Runway 10 is 100* magnetic, it's reciprocal is 28, or 280*. Sounds to me that the jetliner was landed on a contaminated runway with a significant tailwind...uses up a lot of runway. Glad injuries were minimal.

you gotta love landing with a strong tailwind on a wet runway.

Why were they landing at the naval air station? Do commercial flights land there routinely?

Last edited:
I completely understand where Kenny is coming from. Pets, especially dogs, offer unconditional love whether you're a prince or a pauper. They are non-judgmental and just want to be with you. The golden retrievers I have had are more empathetic than most people I've known. Like Harry Truman said, "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

In my experience, when a faithful dog companion dies it's really a tough loss.

Last edited:
We all brain fart from time to time.

True, but when your corrected and then look it over and still come up with the same wrong answer it’s not a brain fart. It’s a lack of basic knowledge on how runways are numbered.

I completely understand where Kenny is coming from. Pets, especially dogs, offer unconditional love whether you're a prince or a pauper. They are non-judgmental and just want to be with you. The golden retrievers I have had are more empathetic than most people I've known. Like Harry Truman said, "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

In my experience, when a faithful dog companion dies it's really a tough loss.
I get all that. I too have loved and lost several dog friends over the years and it was hard when I lost them. I still didn’t value them more than human life. To each their own. I just don’t understand...

The sentiment about the dogs is understandable, that doesn’t mean it’s right. It’s almost always brought up on POA in these situations, which communicates that it’s about more than an affection for animals.

It’s unfortunate that there wasn’t two good ol’ trained-in-the-USA ATPs up front. This never would have happened.

The crew decided to continue the landing on a construction shortened non-grooved wet runway known for ponding, in heavy rain, with a gusting tailwind? Why? To avoid canceling on a diversion for rest issues?
I have a feeling the report will not be kind.

They Landed in a heavy thunderstorm. Every airline FOM prohibits operations in thunderstorms. That part seems to have been overlooked by many from the METER. That actually makes the winds somewhat irrelevant since from a pilot standpoint should you choose to land in those conditions you have absolutely no idea what the winds will be a touchdown. You have simply chosen to play a game of chance.

Back