N Number Change Question

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
For anyone who has recently done this...

My aircraft is being painted and a new N Number is being placed on the plane. I have a question concerning the final step (on the FAA site):

"Within ten days after the new number is placed on the aircraft, the owner must present the duplicate AC Form 8050-64 and the present airworthiness certificate to a FAA Flight Standards District office to obtain a revised airworthiness certificate showing the new N-Number."

My FSDO is 275 miles away. Can I mail (or scan and email) the 8050-64 and the current Airworthiness Certificate to them, or does the above imply that I have to hand it to them personally?

does the above imply that I have to hand it to them personally?
Call the FSDO. Each one tends to operate on their own views and some can be accommodating to what you need.

They want the original back. You can probably mail it, but then you can't legally fly the plane until you get the new one.

When I got an ammended AC for an experimental (to change the operating limitations), the FSDO (MIDO actually) guy met me at my home airport to exchange the paperwork. I gather he was happy to have a day out of the office.

Last edited:
Back