How well do aircraft covers protect an aircraft?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Aquila_Austria.jpg

How well does something like this protect an aircraft that kept outside instead of being hangared? I live in the south Georgia area, so my main concerns would be heat and hail. Sleet and snow is a nonissue, and although it does get rather warm in the summer months (occasionally we'll see some triple-digit temperatures), it's not as bad as out west such as Texas.

Although I'm not sure of the hangar fees, there is no tiedown fee at our airport (yes, you can leave an aircraft parked year-round and pay absolutely zilch).

People have told me they like them; I'd be sure to get one with decent hail-absorption and I would worry about the wind causing it to repeatedly slap against the paint, chafing it.

Covers do an excellent job of keeping out water and heat. Heat is a killer of avionics. I use a canopy cover when parked outside on trips away from home. A good fitting cover shouldn't damage your paint or windshield from chafing. It the wind is blowing that hard, chafing is the least of your issues. A cover won't protect the plane from mechanical damage: dings, dents, hail, etc.

A canopy cover may be enough to ward off the worst of sun and heat damage. Sun will of course take a toll on paint over time, but no worse than your car. Keeping the plane waxed will help ward off the worst of outdoor paint oxidation. A canopy cover is relatively quick to install and remove. A full plane cover will be a handful.

Ok thanks, I was wondering if they were designed to absorb hail.

We do have hurricanes come through time to time, and although they’ve normally died down so there’s nowhere near the destruction like in parts of Florida, they do bring some 35-g50 knt winds.

Ok thanks, I was wondering if they were designed to absorb hail.

We do have hurricanes come through time to time, and although they’ve normally died down so there’s nowhere near the destruction like in parts of Florida, they do bring some 35-g50 knt winds.

Some wing covers are padded. They are pricy. also bulky so they become non-starter if you intend to bring the canopy cover off-station. Full aircraft covers also take quite a bit of time to install and remove, which can be a detraction. I used to own a C-150 with terrible paint condition. Bought a cabin cover for it. 6 months later I gave up and left the thing uncovered for the duration of my short ownership tenure LOL. Honestly, messing with the dressing and undressing of the thing became a disincentive to go fly.

Last edited:
My guess is that the airplane in the photo is composite construction...we used to put wing covers on our fiberglass gliders to protect them from UV.

i use a cover ,while up north. Hangars are either unavailable or price prohibited. seems to work great on my composite airplane.

cowl, cabin, wing and tail covers here. My plane has slight hail damage from it's previous life in the lower 48. No hail were I currently live. My wing covers are not padded but would help some if the hail is small..

They work. A PITA, but do work, keeping the heat out (and the rain, in the usual leaky Cessna line)

I have a canopy cover for my Grumman Tiger. Very well made and takes all of 5 minutes to put on or take off. I use it faithfully when away from the hangar and it really helps keep the cockpit and avionics cooler.

Bruce’s Custom Covers. Two thumbs up.

Attachments

• 234381DF-F2B3-4F3E-8123-D7A48060D19A.jpeg
    234381DF-F2B3-4F3E-8123-D7A48060D19A.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 9F5E7B67-4302-4E75-BEE2-518D153B8D6D.jpeg
    9F5E7B67-4302-4E75-BEE2-518D153B8D6D.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 39
I think it would be too much effort for me. I used a typical canopy cover when I had the warrior tied outside, and that did the job.

I have Bruce’s wing, canopy, prop&hub, and tail feather covers for my Mooney. I bit the bullet on the cost while I wait for a hangar... I hear red paint doesn’t stand up too well against the sun...

I have Bruce’s wing, canopy, prop&hub, and tail feather covers for my Mooney. I bit the bullet on the cost while I wait for a hangar... I hear red paint doesn’t stand up too well against the sun...

I would like to get a full set to help keep condensation off the wings and tail in my unheated (insulated, heatable, but cost prohibitive to keep warm) hangar. Maybe a fan to recirc air would be better. Certainly cheaper.

I wonder how long it takes to put on and take off the full cover above?

Tom

I wonder how long it takes to put on and take off the full cover above?

Tom
That cover, if like mine, is probably 4-6 pieces... wings, canopy, vert stab, horiz stab, and maybe nose cover (but it looks like the nose is part of the canopy). To sorta answer your question, it gets quicker with practice. First time it took me 40 minutes just to figure out how the tail cover went on. Now I can install all of them in about 15-20 minutes (wind, or occasional helicopter, not withstanding). taking them off and stowing them is actually just as hard. But that guy needs a ladder too... :confused:

53D82B31-DBF3-46F4-BC27-48F3FC08CE19.jpeg If you are crafty- sew your own... I made my own insulated cowl and prop/spinner cover... taught myself to sew off YouTube to make boat seats a few years back. It’s time consuming but not technically difficult. Mine were fraction of the cost of buying em... probably cost about 20% at most of a pre made one. you wouldn’t need the insulation for same reason I have it but I bet it would protect it from pretty decent sized hail if I had to bet... but would be too bulky to take... you could always toss it in the car while ya flew n not take it on trips...

I used cheap blankets to make the pattern and then marked it up n sewed it up... if you don’t like crafty projects dont do it... if you like to learn new things n save a buck- great project.

View attachment 73945 If you are crafty- sew your own... I made my own insulated cowl and prop/spinner cover... taught myself to sew off YouTube to make boat seats a few years back. It’s time consuming but not technically difficult. Mine were fraction of the cost of buying em... probably cost about 20% at most of a pre made one. you wouldn’t need the insulation for same reason I have it but I bet it would protect it from pretty decent sized hail if I had to bet... but would be too bulky to take... you could always toss it in the car while ya flew n not take it on trips...

I used cheap blankets to make the pattern and then marked it up n sewed it up... if you don’t like crafty projects dont do it... if you like to learn new things n save a buck- great project.

water proof/resistant?

water proof/resistant?

Certainly resistant, though may be pretty water proof, I myself was more interested in the insulating value for preheating in the hanger but made it outdoor grade for trips if need be, as being only a cowl cover even insulated it would fit in the cargo area... I made it from a jacket lining material facing the surface of the plane, almost a silky texture like the inside of a carhart coat.. Figured that wouldn't hold dirt to scratch, then 80 gram thinsulate insulation throughout, with a double layer on the top portion of the cowl (for me it was about R factor, but it could act as a "hail impact damper" and the shell is made from an outdoor nylon material- much like a backpack is made of.... That outdoor nylon has to minimally be water resistant... I would assume even it it was water proof the stitching lines would allow some water through if exposed to torrential downpour, though I think there is a product one can put on seams to prevent that... If one goes for it, you probably could find a different "Insulation" material, as I chose thinsulate for its high heat retention to thickness ratio. You could probably get a "lower quality" insulation that was just puffy for padding-as a whole plane cover you wouldn't need to worry about thin but high R value. Being a lot more cover than mine so likely not taking it in the plane the bulk wouldn't be of as much concern.

The insulated cowl cover & insulated prop/spinner cover from Bruce's would have been $600 before shipping, I spent about $130 on material. With the time investment Bruce's prices are fair by all means!!! But for me I found enjoyment on nasty winter evenings I couldn't fly anyway working on it... Wing covers would be pretty simple- just a monstrous pillow case basically...

If you are thinking about it, the other thing you want to do is buy an OLD sewing machine... Pre 60s... I learned that from boat seats, that if you aren't going to invest in a true commercial sewing machine (which would eat all the savings plus) you cant do all this thick material on these cheapies you buy at walmart. I found the perfect one- an old singer, literally from between 1910-1920! Owners manual brags about the "Ease of sewing with electricity" ! Many like this available at every thrift store and estate sales (Mine was $20), but its build like a brick poop house, all solid metal so it won't break plugging through the thick material like plastic parts in a new one would. The other advantage to those of us that sewing is not our first skill set is it still has the inertia wheel on the end, so for corners or difficult spots I could spin in by hand, stitch by stitch, so I could go slow to get it right...

My guess is that the airplane in the photo is composite construction...we used to put wing covers on our fiberglass gliders to protect them from UV.

I don't know. I just posted a random photo; however, this is the type of cover that I'd like to have in order to protect as much of the aircraft as possible.

Back