Banner Tow Emergency Landing on Staten Island

Took three writers to produce the article. And though they tried, I don't really think they managed to instill nearly as much fear in the public as they probably intended. Sad state of affairs in journalism. :nonod:

ANTIQUE 3 WHEELED AIRPLANE BOMBS SOCCER FIELD WITH BANNER THEN LANDS TO SEE WHO HE HIT!!! No flight plan was filed.

ANTIQUE 3 WHEELED AIRPLANE BOMBS SOCCER FIELD WITH BANNER THEN LANDS TO SEE WHO HE HIT!!! No flight plan was filed.
You forgot the part about "miraculous escape" and "narrowly missing the children".

You forgot the part about "miraculous escape" and "narrowly missing the children".

Clearly, the plane needs to be updated with a better bomb, err i mean banner, sights

Edit: and maybe Stuka siren :)

Last edited:
There is a video someone took, I'll dig it up later, the little kids who were at soccer practice were pretty excited.

And puppies! Don't forget the puppies!
It was a crap day.
I rolled the plane out and the clouds came crashing down.
I waited 2.5 hours for them to lift, and it did.
I rolled the plane out and it started raining.
So far Spring is just as bad as Winter, except warmer.

He did a good job. Successful scud run.

Maybe a little scud running gone bad, glad he made a safe landing.

I see a 91.103 enforcement action in the pilot's future...
Meh, I could see it go either way. Aerial Sign has been around a long time. You don't operate a successful banner tow operation for a long time in this country without making some friends at the FSDO.

Glad he's okay, But holy crap batman what a terrible article. My High School english teacher would be ashamed!

"Take Cover in a parking lot" ??? Now unless its a parking ramp and one goes into the ground level, a wide open parking lot is not a place one "Takes Cover" Being the definition of taking cover is "protect oneself from attack by ducking down into or under a shelter.

It landed upright? OMG a pilot was able to land a taildragger on grass upright? Holy Pistons Boys-amazing! Amazing-I tell you! C'mon he even still had power, he turned it around under power after he landed.

Carb ice. ***that's my guess****
Weather. It was in the first or second line of the article. He was scud running and needed to find a place to drop the rag and land and put it in the plane.

And it was backed up by the video. The approach was straight and level and then he landed and rolled out ending up right where the dropped banner was laying the grass. Very unlikely that would be possible with carb ice/lack of power.

Wasn't it Richard Collins that used to tell the story about having to land his Aeronca or cub trainer in a parking lot in New Jersey? I don't think this was such a big deal not that many years ago.

thomas-fitzpatrick.jpg

View attachment 73853

Note the Prop Lock...Really?
It would have taken time to get a flatbed to the scene. I would expect the pilot did not stay with the plane during that time. Isn't that about the only practical way available to secure a plane that doesn't have door locks or keyed ignition or electrical system?

Spent teenage years in Civil Air Patrol cadets. Met in headquarters building on Miller Field... got my first airplane ride in an aeronca champ based there. Went to High school across the street at NewDorp High School. Earned airplane rides cutting the grass on the runway and painting plywood runway markers... 52 years ago... I think the New Dorp High they mention in the article is the newer building constructed on the field a few years after I graduated from the old building across the street

Last edited:
Spent teenage years in Civil Air Patrol cadets. Met in headquarters building on Miller Field... got my first airplane ride in an aeronca champ based there. Went to High school across the street at NewDorp High School. Earned airplane rides cutting the grass on the runway and painting plywood runway markers... 52 years ago... I think the New Dorp High they mention in the article is the newer building constructed on the field a few years after I graduated from the old building across the street

Where did you live? I'm from Roberts Drive just a stones throw from the field down Mill Road.

Back