Emotional Support Animal

Interesting first post. Meaningless, but interesting. Perhaps elaborate.

What about a diagnosis of PTSD?

--

Don't need to answer here, but think about it. FAA isn't always as concerned with a prescription or emotional support animal as it is about the issue behind it.

I couldn't answer because I am not the subject. Someone I know is looking into a Flight School. He has an emotional support animal, it was a relatives dog that he took in after the relative passed.

depends on how you answer the questions. there is no question about having an emot. support animal, but there are 2 or 3 questions about emotional health etc! Then your AME would ask questions as to why you have a 'banky', what led to its need, who prescribe it, what happens when you are without it, etc...

depends on how you answer the questions. there is no question about having an emot. support animal, but there are 2 or 3 questions about emotional health etc! Then your AME would ask questions as to why you have a 'banky', what led to its need, who prescribe it, what happens when you are without it, etc...

Thanks. I'll tell him to speak with an AME.

48B1DB5C-C8D7-4A5E-B585-16763DE7155E.jpeg
I think this one would be OK. :)

When I was a kid we didn’t have emotional support animals. My dad did kick the cat now and then after a stressful day at work and it seemed to make him feel better. Does that count?

Last edited:
When I was a kid we didn’t have emotional support animals. My dad did kick the car now and then after a stressful day at work and it seemed to make him feel better. Does that count?
As long as he was kicking the car, and not the cat.

I couldn't answer because I am not the subject. Someone I know is looking into a Flight School. He has an emotional support animal, it was a relatives dog that he took in after the relative passed.
That's called a pet. You can tell that it's a pet and not an emotional support animal because it belonged to a family member, he had to take it in because the family member died, and he got some paperwork calling it an emotional support animal to avoid the inconvenience of caring for a pet. A real emotional support animal would be one that the doctor tells you to get, not one that you tell the doctor you already have and need paperwork for your own convenience.

Your friend made a conscious choice to say he has some kind of emotional problems so that he could keep his dead family member's dog without the burdens of having a pet. Now he is going to have to disclose those emotional problems to apply for a medical, or lie on his application but that's always a bad idea. I don't know what problems he said he had when he got the paperwork for the dog or if those problems will stop him from passing the medical or not. The advice above is solid on that issue. But I think it's important to accept that every choice has consequences. Sometimes a small selfish choice can put an end to big dreams, and that may seem unfair but life's not fair to begin with. It's even less fair if you think that you can do whatever you want without consequences.

I recently spoke to a bunch of high school students about freedom of speech. My theme was that you're free to say what you want but you're not free from consequences for what you say. You have the right to flip off the police, but doing so might draw unwanted attention from the police. And in today's world, you apparently have the right to classify your pet as an emotional support animal by making up emotional problems to make your life more convenient, but doing so might prevent you from becoming a pilot.

I like to board commercial flights w/ a 1.5L and tell'em "it's my emotional support Jim Beam."

gives me an idea ... my human female interest could be my 'banky' and fly for free ... cozy next to me!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back