Cessna 150 Gyrocopter

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Something you don't see everyday :)

For sale on CL. I have no relation.

https://monterey.craigslist.org/avo/d/castroville-gyrocopter-little-wing/6866611936.html

00n0n_c9A5w5ir6SP_1200x900.jpg

Well it would be pretty easy to share a hangar with someone without that annoying wing in the way!

I don't know much about gyrocopters but I wonder if that thing would have sufficient directional control?

Not much lift without a big fan in the front

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not much lift without a big fan in the front

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"Autogyro, made from a shortened Cessna 150. Build partially from “little wing” plans. All controls are functional, well documented build. Hughes 269 blades. Electric pre-rotator functions well. Most of the paperwork taken care of with data plate. Carbon fiber instrument panel. Needs a powerplant 85-150HP"

Little Wing Autogyro (Cub-based gyro)
xLastLW-5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5TnEpZA5ZB.jpg

Pitcairn PA-36

Air and Space 18A

My personal favorite (based on looks)
1280px-McCulloch_J-2_Aero_Super_Gyroplane_-_GPN-2000-001904.jpg

I love gyros. They're such cool aircraft. It's sad we don't see more of them in the states.

"Autogyro, made from a shortened Cessna 150. Build partially from “little wing” plans. All controls are functional, well documented build. Hughes 269 blades. Electric pre-rotator functions well. Most of the paperwork taken care of with data plate. Carbon fiber instrument panel. Needs a powerplant 85-150HP"
Probably the coolest thing I’ve ever seen!

I don't have anything against gyros, but as an engineer looking at the way the rotor head is attached to the support structure... no way I'd want to be anywhere near that thing when the blades are spinning.

Hughes 269 blades. "

The McCulloch J2 (pictured above) also used the 269 hub. Not sure about blades. I thought there was some difference with the blades.

The McCulloch J2 (pictured above) also used the 269 hub. Not sure about blades. I thought there was some difference with the blades.
The J-2's blades were a bit longer (26 ft diameter, vs. 25 ft 3-1/2 in for the Hughes 269A/300), with a slightly different airfoil optimised for autorotation.

Drago Jovanovich, who designed the J-2, also designed the rotor system for Hughes in the mid 1950s.

I don't know much about gyrocopters but I wonder if that thing would have sufficient directional control?
It did until the rotor shortened the vertical stabilizer ...

I love gyros.
What's the speed, useful load, and fuel burn on those guys?
Are they practical for anything in reality other than fun/local buzzing around?

I love gyros.
What's the speed, useful load, and fuel burn on those guys?
Are they practical for anything in reality other than fun/local buzzing around?
Probably as practical as the donor airframe.

They typically have a limited useful load and cruise speeds in the realm of Cessna 120 and Champ category aircraft. Where they really excel is in the wind and thermals. The other big advantage is safety, being able to land within it's own length if need be.

I don't have anything against gyros, but as an engineer looking at the way the rotor head is attached to the support structure... no way I'd want to be anywhere near that thing when the blades are spinning.
Have you ever looked at how the wings are attached on a C150?

Without a fan on it, is it just an underpowered helicopter at this point?

Reminds me of the airplane version of a Jackalope! Lol

Back