Downtown Dallas

Cooter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Cooter
Any food/sight-seeing recommendations for Dallas? I have an afternoon off and was considering taking the train from the airport downtown.

I really liked the aquarium. Lots of good Mexican food of course. Over off Commerce St, just north of it there is an entire food court type place in the basement of one of the high rises..... Can't remember the name of it. Been to Daly plaza yet? It's nothing spectacular other than being able to say you have been there. The train lets out pretty much right there. There really isn't much to wander about and do though. I'd rather take the train/Uber and hit the Hard 8 BBQ in Irving.

It has been over five years since I left that dump (Texas), but Fearings was fantastic when my wife and I went. La Duni was also excellent.

Sorry to those of you that love the state. I was miserable there.

I am sorry that you weren’t happy here, but that is no proof that Texas is a dump. An apology would prevent my evaluation of Connecticut. Maybe you should have gotten out of the city. Not all of Texas is like Dallas.

Any food/sight-seeing recommendations for Dallas? I have an afternoon off and was considering taking the train from the airport downtown.
Maybe take a trip to Austin instead? If I ever have to go to Texas again (lived there for 14 years) that's about the only place I'd go.

It has been over five years since I left that dump (Texas), but Fearings was fantastic when my wife and I went. La Duni was also excellent.

Sorry to those of you that love the state. I was miserable there.

I live here and will probably die here but I hate it here.
If I could somehow convince 4 generations of family to uproot and live somewhere else I'd be on board.

I don't want to be far from my family so I'll stay.

I thought that with respect to time, owning an airplane enables them to stay close?

There is a lot of benefit to having my parents, sister, her parents a few miles away.
We do a lot of family things weekly / biweekly. If I moved us and the grand kids to Colorado or the north east, we'd see them so rarely.
My sister and her kids are also in a 15 mi radius. It would mess things up to not be able to gather for dinner / sleepovers at a moment's notice with the cousins.

I have friends that graduated high school and moved away cross country. I could never do that.

If I knew I had to go through what I just went through to get to Kentucky and back, I would probably only do it once or twice a year.

Why the hate? Crowded/expensive/congested city living? Hot weather? Allergic to Jalapenos?

Yeah what dont you guys like about Texas?? I always assumed the people that lived there were die hard about their state. I live in NJ and envy the much cheaper cost of living and the better weather. The northeast sucks.

As posted the Aquarium is really nice...there are few places I would rather be then Texas...not to mention opportunity and cost of living allow anyone to be successful in life...

Every place you currently live sucks and the place you just left was the best, even though you hated it while there... Trust me...though I do enjoy MS, but eh..yeah it sucks so stay away! And yes I am originally from Dallas and I would never move back. If I where to ever move back to Texas it would have to be Boerne.

Haven't been there lately have you? The California tech crowd is destroying that city.

We flew there last year and within an hour of landing we were like "We don't fit in here at all anymore".
This is fine though. When we were coming of age and would go to 6th street, I am sure my parents would have felt the same way.
We looked plenty stupid back then. Maybe it hasn't changed all that much it is just different stupid looks than the classic stupid looks of the 90s.

Every place you currently live sucks and the place you just left was the best, even though you hated it while there... Trust me...though I do enjoy MS, but eh..yeah it sucks so stay away! And yes I am originally from Dallas and I would never move back. If I where to ever move back to Texas it would have to be Boerne.

Boerne is great, but it's not what it used to be. We've been here over ten years now and it's growing as fast as Austin. Taxes are going up tremendously and we're just about solid development from SA up I-10 to Boerne. I'm super glad I commute to the Kerrville airport and not into SA anymore, it's still nearly 40 miles but absolutely zero traffic (except maybe the odd farmer John going 55 in a 70).

Wow, way to get all wrapped up in yourselves and fail to give any good suggestions...

If I'd seen this yesterday, I would have suggested to go to Big Al's, right by the airport, for fantastic barbecue.

As for the rest of you, "You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."

I live here and will probably die here but I hate it here.

I was born and raised in Texas, Bryan/College Station area. I have lived in Waco, when it was considered a rural city, Killeen, Odessa, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Hearne and Kurten. I stayed away from big cities, preferring the rural areas. Seems like whenever I had to go to the city, I always met Yankees and wanna be Yankees. I hated the rushrushrush atmosphere of the cities. Of course almost everywhere in Texas has the oppressive heat and humidity and the tiny fast moving mosquitos that hit ya, suck out your blood and leave all without the victim knowing about it until the itching starts.

I finally left B/CS and Texas in 2006, selling the last piece of property in 2013. My mom lives here in Gallup now, but she was born in Los Cruces.

I still have many friends in Texas, and according to them I have lost my redneck status even though I live in rural New Mexico. I miss the Kolache Festivals, Blue Bell ice cream and small Saturday night redneck honkey tonks. I still can't pull over to the side of the road to....''check my tires''... without someone pulling over to make sure that I am ok. I miss the life style. I miss meeting real folks, the kind of people that will shake your hand when they first meet you, then expect you to come over Saturday evening for Bar B Que, then help you fix your fence on Sunday afternoon. I miss living around folks that believe in God, the constitution, helping your neighbor and standing up for what is right even though that might result in bruised knuckles. Whenever I pass a field full of cows, I still check to make sure they are all grazing normally and that the fences are still up.

I have lived in Florida, Oklahoma, North Carolina, West Virginia, Alabama and Alaska. I plan on retiring in Wyoming. Yet I still call myself a Texan.

And I will have to admit, Texas has the prettiest girls of all..:yesnod:

The Dallas world aquarium is Awesome! And when we go back we like to eat at Afrah's.
Wait. How have I never hear of that? I love aquariums. And I go to Dallas regularly. Hmm. Going to have to put that on my list for when I return.

The area between the Aquarium to the 6th Floor museum/Dealy Plaza if these interest you. It's a walkable distance with some ok restaurants in between. There's the "Old Red" museum that talks about Dallas history. You could see if the Rangers are playing if you like baseball, the stadium is really nice

I think the stockyards in Ft Worth were better.

Trinity Groves is a great place for dinner. Eaten at multiple restaurants, never had a bad dinner there. Deep Ellum is a funky place with some interesting restaurants too. For barbecue, I think most people would say Pecan Lodge or Hard Eight. I like Hard Eight better - better atmosphere and far more memorable.

Some of this is not downtown.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I like BBQ but only about once a month, so I’ll save Hard 8 for another time. Decided to take the train down to the Arts district and get some food and went with TorTaco for drinks and dinner. Good service and food, not great.

I have to say, Dallas is missing something from what I’ve seen. There’s no soul to downtown. Like the rest of Dallas, it’s practical w/little culture.

Why the hate? Crowded/expensive/congested city living? Hot weather? Allergic to Jalapenos?

Texas would be great without Texans.

Houston is the worst
Dallas ain't much better
Austin is turning into San Francisco
San Antonio is improving... but how couldn't it?
Fort Worth is tolerable
<-- except that guy lives there

Texas would be great without Texans.

Houston is the worst
Dallas ain't much better
Austin is turning into San Francisco
San Antonio is improving... but how couldn't it?
Fort Worth is tolerable
<-- except that guy lives there

Pretty much sums it up! If you're on the outskirts of the major metropolises and rural areas of Texas, the atmosphere is a bit more tolerable. Less traffic, fewer superficial people. That isn't to say there aren't a lot of good people in DFW/Houston, but man you have to wade through a lot of a-holes to get to the good ones!

Native Texan stuck in Dallas. I’m finding things to appreciate about the city, but I feel like half of Dallas forgot the whole “friendship state” thing. It’s really not all that bad, but two rude drivers in 20 minutes can make it feel that way, and I remind myself they may be transplants.

Last edited:

That's why we're pilots boys ... to FLY where ever and when ever we want and get their lickity split. I've got these flights starting right now in no particular order over the next 2 months: Sedona AZ, Santa Fe NM, Payson AZ overnight camping, Globe AZ gambing, California 2-3 times, Durango CO and Moab UT.

For all you haters: I live in El Paso only blocks away from Beto O'Rourke. Beat THAT!:confused::eek:

C’mon Bro, that ain’t close... you’re ARMY! could you hear them screaming?

That’s actually what it reminded of. Flying out of Bagram and looking up at a C-5s while on short final. We got rocked a few times with wake turb but fortunately no damage. No rules overseas!

Yeah what dont you guys like about Texas?? I always assumed the people that lived there were die hard about their state. I live in NJ and envy the much cheaper cost of living and the better weather. The northeast sucks.
1. The heat
2. The heat
3. The heat
4. Fire ants
5. The heat
6. The obsession with itself
7. The heat

Yeah what don't you guys like about Texas??
Allergies, primarily. The lack of hangar space is annoying, too. Liberals infesting all levels of government, millions and millions of no-good drifters (including those who steal headsets from your plane if you stop for lunch). Still bets the alternatives, but let's not pretend that Texas is some kind of nirvana.

Allergies, primarily. The lack of hangar space is annoying, too. Liberals infesting all levels of government, millions and millions of no-good drifters (including those who steal headsets from your plane if you stop for lunch). Still bets the alternatives, but let's not pretend that Texas is some kind of nirvana.
It's big enough for all kinds of tastes, though... beaches, swamps, prairies, desert, dunes, mountains, canyons... Hill Country.

Back