Exercise— What’s your routine?

Monday’s I run 7 miles and swim for an hour.
Tuesday’s I bike for 2 hours
Wednesday’s I swim for an hour
Thursday’s I run 7 miles and bike 2 hours
Friday’s I swim for an hour
Saturday’s I bike 50-100 miles
Sunday’s I run 15-20 miles

But I can’t say it’s for a medical.

Dude...

I go to the gym seven days a week, 364 days a year (they are closed on Christmas.) My minimum routine is a half hour of weights, alternating between push days and pull days, followed by an hour on the elliptical (Precor AMT, which has independent up/down and forward/rear movement). Lately I've been pretty good doing fifty lap sessions in the pool, which I can get done in about 45 to 50 minutes. I do six sets of freestyle, sidestroke, backstroke, and sidestroke, with a couple breast stroke laps at the end.

Then, if it's a decently nice day, I'll go for a 20 mile burger ride. If I didn't swim, I might go on a longer burger ride. I do not work legs in the weight session. I get enough leg exercise between the biking and elliptical.

So, sac, do you not work for a living, or do you just not have a life? I'm honestly surprised that you ever have time to fly . . .

I compete in Ironmans.
8aef8e31c7a96891f586ceb0ee907f9c.jpg

As a follow up to our PM.

If that’s you in the photo, how do you maintain muscle mass by doing that much cardio every day and no weight training?

As a follow up to our PM.

If that’s you in the photo, how do you maintain muscle mass by doing that much cardio every day and no weight training?

I don’t want muscle mass, muscles use energy. Muscle mass doesn’t equate to strength.

CrossFit two three days a week. Happen to be a trainer for CF as well. I like it. Not for everyone. The functional movement side of it is what I really like.

I compete in Ironmans.

I was going to say, your routine looked a lot like mine when I trained for Triathlon.

M: 45 min swim, 60 min run
T: 90-120 min bike + 2 mile brick run
w: 45 min swim, 60 min run
th: 90-120 min bike + 2 mile brick run
F: off
S: 3-4 hour bike + 2 mile brick run
S: 90 min swim, 1 hour run

Now I just bike and play hockey.
M: Roller Hockey plus short bike ride on the trainer as a warm-up or cool-down
T: 60 min bike
W: 60-90 min bike
Th: Off
Fri: Open Ice Hockey
Sat: 2-3 hour bike
Sun: 60 min bike, Roller Hockey

Wife and I have developed a schedule for once we move into the family house. We will mostly be only going to and from the mailbox and the creek in the back yard.

Winter Schedule: 20 minutes of apparel installation (cold), 20 minutes stretching/bending over to tie on crampons, snow shoes, or skis. 60 minute saunter to the mailbox and back. Alternating days, shoveling snow with slowly walking backwards away from moose. Wood chopping cool down.

Spring Schedule: 20 minutes of apparel installation (wet), 20 minutes stretching/bending over to tie on mud boots w/traction devices. 40 min scurry. Alternating days, sprints from awake hungry bears. Wood chopping cool down.

Summer Schedule: 20 minutes/day of apparel installation (fast cold water), 5 weeks upper body with torso twists using heavy tackle/Kenai cast. A few swims with tackle and a King. Alternating days, combat Kenai cast with "enthusiasts." Wood chopping cool down.

Fall Schedule: 20 minutes of apparel installation (cold, and/or wet). Sprints from rutting moose. Alternating days, moose quarters carry for miles. Wood chopping cool down.

Just kidding, I won't be shoveling snow, the rest is speculative. You working out people impress the hell outta me.

Whatever you do, think about one of these:
https://www.roadid.com/

My son gave me an ID bracelet and I've worn it everyday since then. At the gym it is the only way to identify me should I not be able to communicate.

My son gave me an ID bracelet and I've worn it everyday since then. At the gym it is the only way to identify me should I not be able to communicate.
I used one of those pockets that straps to the laces of running shoes. I kept an expired DL in there, it had my current address.

I do sometimes think about this at the gum when I’m swimming. I might need to get something like this, thanks for the reminder.

Eat well, exercise Daily, still die.
But it will hopefully increase longevity and quality of life.

Most gyms that I know of have record of each member that signs in. I can’t really think of any situation that I’d need to carry ID on me so I could be indentified.

I am in a trough of motivation on top of having small kids, but ideally:

Bike 1 hr MWF (trainer road)
Swim 1 hr Tu, 1.25 hr Th
There should be some running in there too

Most gyms that I know of have record of each member that signs in. I can’t really think of any situation that I’d need to carry ID on me so I could be indentified.

I log in at the front desk, but if I seize up in the pool there may not be anyone that knows me. Swimsuit, watch, and goggles, no ID. That’s why I try to get to know the lifeguards.

A guy I went to high school with ended up as the head basketball coach at TCU, Neil Dougherty (great guy). He was out of town, jogging, no ID, and had a heart attack. It took several days to ID his body.

Bicycling 20-30 miles three times a week, walking my golden retriever three times a day, and eating sensibly.

After ballooning to 245 pounds before retirement (lots of international travel and being treated to heavy restaurant meals by our foreign hosts), I started cycling seriously and have maintained 175 pounds since retirement 15 years ago.

I always wear RoadID when cycling.

Hiking and hill climbing 3-4 times a week, trying to eat well. I used to be an avid cyclist as well, let myself slip away when the only safe route in the area fell victim to endless highway construction. Seems to be over now, and I hope to get back into it this summer to complement my hiking routine.

So, sac, do you not work for a living, or do you just not have a life? I'm honestly surprised that you ever have time to fly . . .

I have a schedule that allows me to be flexible, and I don't go in to the office on a daily basis.

Maybe. My Father was a fitness nut. Played tennis 6 days a week. Spent all of his retirement in pain from sports injuries. Died of Alzheimers. But he was 93 years old, unfortunately he didn't know it.

I try to get in 3 one mile swims in every 7 day period. I have a 45 minute daily stretching routine, Dr prescribed for arthritis (that really works for keeping me off pain meds). On non swim days when there is extra time, I'll toss in situps, pushups and maybe spin time.

Yep, gotta love those endorphins coursing through your body. The effect that exercise has on mental clarity is a significant benefit too.

When I was working a desk job, I never really had the energy to exercise much. I honestly don't see how people who work full time even have time to do all that. By the time you're done with work and take care of all the chores required in adult life there's precious little time left in the day to eat and relax before you have to go to bed. I suppose maybe if one lived alone in an apartment there would be time for it... that's about the only point in my life where I had a full time job and did anything like that. The only real exercise I can do that doesn't leave me bored and quitting within a week is bike riding- that way at least I'm getting somewhere/seeing stuff and if I'm making progress and going farther I see it physically manifest in actually getting somewhere new.

Now that I don't work a regular desk job and somewhat have my freedom again I tend to move around enough doing farm stuff and other projects that I don't really feel the need but I do still try to go on a couple of 10+mile bike rides a couple of times a week when the weather is decent for it. All the stats on my last physical looked good so I'm not too worried about it... I think I've just got the right genetic cheat codes and stay moderately active enough that it's not a worry for me. Hopefully it stays that way.

Bicycling 20-30 miles three times a week, walking my golden retriever three times a day, and eating sensibly.

After ballooning to 245 pounds before retirement (lots of international travel and being treated to heavy restaurant meals by our foreign hosts), I started cycling seriously and have maintained 175 pounds since retirement 15 years ago.

That is my plan. I can't walk or run any more due to all my spine issues, but I can ride a bike all day. I am at 230 now and need to be less than 200 to fit in my C-140 with a passenger!

Eat well, exercise Daily, still die.
I’m a firm believer that proper nutrition and routine exercise is very beneficial. Of course, anything in excess isn’t good either. I do limit impact exercises, because there’s so many other ways of getting cardio that’s easier on your joints. With that being said, no matter how well you eat and exercise isn’t going to over ride your genes, as some folks have just been dealt a bad hand.

My workplace has a fitness center. I try to do 20 minutes a day of either a group class or free weights. Normally my meeting schedule knocks that back to 3 or 4 days a week.

When it isn't a hunting season (Deer/Turkey) I try to get in 2 miles a day or 35-40 minutes 4-5 days a week. It is not enough but better to do something than nothing.

CrossFit two three days a week. Happen to be a trainer for CF as well. I like it. Not for everyone. The functional movement side of it is what I really like.

Man CrossFit and a Pilot when your at a party what do you lead with? Or maybe your a Vegan too. :)

Have lost 40 lbs (6 gals) since Jan. I work an 8 to 10 hr per day desk job with a 2 hr commute. I drink nothing but water and beer only once or twice a month. I make sure to get 10,000+ steps a day, usually I have to do a lap around the office once an hour.

Three days a week: Couch to 5K (C25K) program. The one I am doing is 12 weeks long, I am on week 8 since I repeat weeks until I can run each interval easily.

The other 4 days of the week: swimming laps for 30 to 60 minutes, kayaking, biking 10 to 20 miles, lifting weights, or hiking/rucking. I try not to do the same thing all week so one day I might swim, another would be a bike ride, hiking, and then maybe some weight lifting. During the winter almost everyday is weightlifting, stationary bike, or rowing since the weather is usually bad. Now that its nice out I try to play golf once a week and walk the course. Of course there is yard work and other chores, but I usually don't count them.

Eating well is key, I didn't really see any change until I stopped eating poorly. I use a garmin to track and put my food into MyFitnessPal which connects to garminconnect to track total calories.

Fill the tub, take a bath, pull the plug, fight the current.

Walk 6 miles 5 days a week. I live 3 miles from my office.

Steingar, the eighties man.

I weigh about what I did in the 1980's, if you're curious

I walk to and from work every day, walk to and from lunch, and when I take a break I walk to the coffee place.

Of course, I do work from home, and the "coffee place" is the corner of the kitchen counter where the espresso machine lives.

Dirt biking, mtn bikes, walking, light weight lifting, sex with wife. 35, 6’2”, 170 lbs.

Just added ,rowing machine ,to my walking biking work outs.

Lots of 12 ounce curls

edited for serious post since someone else made that joke apparently:

Weights 4-6x a week, depends on when the mood strikes me. Kayaking or hiking when the weather is nice out.

Back