Basic Med to 2nd Class Medical - Risk?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
OK...here's a new one...I think...

I long held a 3rd Class Medical, and converted over to BasicMed two years ago (reminder to those who did the same: time to re-take the course or your medical is not valid!).

Now I'm going on to Commercial after getting IFR ticket. Question: If I fail at getting a 2nd Class Medical, does that also invalidate my BasicMed...so I'm screwed? I'm 64, and had a Special Issuance for Type II Diabetes. Other than that, no major issues. But I don't want to end up with out a medical in the process of trying to get a 2nd class!

Thanks for your help.

Getting commercial just because or to work? Don’t have to have the 2nd class for the certificate, just to use the privileges of the certificate.

If you currently have Basicmed, can you then take a second or first class medical if you qualify?

If you currently have Basicmed, can you then take a second or first class medical if you qualify?

Of course, you don't even need a third class or basic med to get a higher class. Many people start with first class. If you're young it doesn't cost any more and lets you know right away if you have something that will derail an airline career.

Having been basic med doesn't mean anything when you apply for a medical. If you have prior medical certificates (of any class) you need to report that on your application.
They don't even ask about basic med.

Yes…but…
If you fail 2nd or 3rd, you lose your BasicMed. Be careful if you have and potential health issues.

Risk is there is something else that will deny you and you won't be able to fly at all.

I would imagine you will have to go through the whole SI process again for type 2 and that could sit you on the sidelines for however long that takes. Don't know if that can be issued in the office or is automatic deferral.

After a long rusty pilot period I went basic med. I found it a weird process. My doc fumbled through it but all is good. I have thought when it comes due I might just go back and do a 3rd class again...more straightforward... but I cringe at the thought of having to list all the years of doc visits and issues since my last medical. Nothing disqualifying I think, just a lot of years that I don't have clean records of. That seems like the only risk to me...hen if something does creep up as an issue then the basic med is lost too. I suppose a medical is always a "risk" in a way.

Getting commercial just because or to work? Don’t have to have the 2nd class for the certificate, just to use the privileges of the certificate.

Spot on. You can get a commercial license while on Basic Med - you just can't fly for a job / get paid. EXCEPT - you can be a CFI (which requires a commercial rating) AND get paid as as CFI while still on Basic Med.

OK...here's a new one...I think...

I long held a 3rd Class Medical, and converted over to BasicMed two years ago (reminder to those who did the same: time to re-take the course or your medical is not valid!).

Now I'm going on to Commercial after getting IFR ticket. Question: If I fail at getting a 2nd Class Medical, does that also invalidate my BasicMed...so I'm screwed? I'm 64, and had a Special Issuance for Type II Diabetes. Other than that, no major issues. But I don't want to end up with out a medical in the process of trying to get a 2nd class!

Thanks for your help.

Short answer: Yes.

If you fail any class of medical (basic med is not a class) you loose the BM privileges. Unless you're planning to do penny-a-pound rides or fly checks...you only need a BM to take any checkride. Even for CFI. Even teach as a CFI. So, keep the BM, don't worry about the 2nd (again, assuming you're not doing rides or deciding to fly for pay) and go forth with confidence to your CML checkride.

Just my $.02 USD.

Nobody flies checks anymore. All done electronically now.
These people do……

A1F34769-0075-44F8-9628-31ECAEEDBB54.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back