Garmin G5 AI - pros/cons & experiences

Larry Korona

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Larry
considering installing a G5 in my C172 as the primary AI to replace my gyro AI that just went belly up. Looking for comments from folks who have installed a G5, pros and cons. I’ve got a 430W, but no AP.

Con: costs more $ then buying a rebuilt replacement, will take longer too, avionics guys can be booked for months these days.

Tom

It will take longer to pull your AI than to install a single G5. Dual G5’s are harder, but single is simple.

Con: costs more $ then buying a rebuilt replacement, will take longer too, avionics guys can be booked for months these days.

Tom
Local A&P at my shop has done a few installs of the AI G5. Mine is scheduled for July along with the annual.

We just installed two. Excellent system. Very satisfied.

The G5 is excellent! Very enjoyable to use, especially at night.

I got my G5 AI shortly after they came out. My only regret was the G5 HSI wasn't available at the time and I ended up putting $1K fixing my old one for it to break again. I have both now and love them. Zero issues with lots of flying with them.

Our AI started to fail ever so slightly due to a crack in the case. We decided to replace it with the G5 and have been VERY happy with it.

I started with a G5 AI when my attitude indicator was showing its age and getting "lazy." Absolutely loved it. Very easy install, used an external antenna (didn't have a Garmin GPS at the time). Then about a year later, as part of a larger avionics upgrade, added the HSI. The combo is really fantastic.

Mine is the exp version but it’s been flawless so far. No problems getting a GPS signal without an external antenna.

49944132-B6C2-493A-821E-AC89478E4151.jpeg

I replaced the AI in my Arrow with a G5 then the DG failed electrically (autopilot signal) so I replaced it too. Had the entire vacuum removed which saved weight plus the every-500 hour replacement of the vacuum pump. Don't forget to have a GMU 11 magnetometer installed with the G5 HSI to provide magnetic heading. My GNS 530W drives the HSI but it will interface with other GPS and nav boxes too.

We had dual G5's installed in our club plane recently. Not having to rely on a vacuum system is a big plus. What I don't like about it is the glideslope indicator. It is literally a dot, and far too small. Even the slip/skid ball is larger than the glideslope. I am sure it will be fine once you get used to it, but I think the old GS/CDI that occupied a whole instrument slot was much more visible.

Just a thought... If you're considering new G5 install and can wait, I'd hold out until OSH this summer. There are likely more options coming available and price breaks. A rumor is floating around of a new dual unit G5 on the horizon. Schedule a G5 install for this Summer to have a slot with your shop, but see if market options change at OSH.

-David

Thanks for everyone’s reply! It’s rare to see such an overwhelming singular opinion! Now it’s just a matter of timing when local avionics shops have an opening in their schedule. As my AI is totally dead, I can’t wait too long for a replacement. Yea, and the other minor thing is the $$, looks like I’m going to have to dig into my fund I set up for the new paint job that my plane needs.

Put dual G5’s in my 182. Never one regret. I am completely satisfied.

I've physical installed three, working on two more right now in my primary airplane.

I got my G5 AI shortly after they came out. My only regret was the G5 HSI wasn't available at the time and I ended up putting $1K fixing my old one for it to break again. I have both now and love them. Zero issues with lots of flying with them.

Unfortunately my need is immediate, and I need a functioning panel for our trip to Oshkosh!

Just a thought... If you're considering new G5 install and can wait, I'd hold out until OSH this summer. There are likely more options coming available and price breaks. A rumor is floating around of a new dual unit G5 on the horizon. Schedule a G5 install for this Summer to have a slot with your shop, but see if market options change at OSH.

-David
What would a dual unit G5 look like? I thought Garmin's certified EFIS stuff came from the experimental product line and I don't see anything like that there, other than the G3x touch.

Yea I was told the gap in technology didn't play well together which is why I have stuck to my old electric HSI

What would a dual unit G5 look like? I thought Garmin's certified EFIS stuff came from the experimental product line and I don't see anything like that there, other than the G3x touch.

I don't know, other than the rumor of a 1 piece dual G5. Many pilots are installing 2 G5's rather than the single G5. A dual integrated unit would reduce install coasts greatly, and better compete with Aspen's E5 entry level product.

We'll see, but this make sense from a product perspective. I'd buy on ASAP.

-David

Last edited:
I have to say, if Garmin were to keep putting out new stuff then how likely the stuff you bought will be unsupported much sooner than the older hardware? For example, the GDL-88, who is still buying those?

They already released solutions for just about everything, what the heck could they possibly do next?

Timely subject. My AI started flaking out recently and I just authorized my A&P/AI to replace it with a G5.
Will probably do the HSI at or around the annual, but it is working now and we are going on a "real" cross country in a few weeks (Daytona Beach to Seattle Washington).

Now it’s just a matter of timing when local avionics shops have an opening in their schedule.

You don’t need an avionics shop for this. You can buy G5 yourself (it’s sold directly to consumers) and ask your A&P to install it. AI only install is dead simple.

Also did dual g5s, removed vacuum, and also have a 430w.

A few things took some getting used to... But starting to like it more after a few hours.

Note that I also installed the gad29 and the gmu11 Magnetometer, so some of the below may not apply.

The g5 is certified for attitude, but it's nice to see airspeed, altitude, a ball, vsi, speed rate of change, heading, groundspeed etc all in 1 place.

Calculating standard rate of turn and pointers for bank to get you standard rate of turn is nice.

Interpreting tape for altitude and speed is different... Still getting used to that and still prefer analog gauges although feel like I'm may change my tune after a bit more time.

There is some learning curve with the 430, but having a heading bug from your flight plan is nice.

I would do it again, but I think if I was going to do it now, I'd pay for the g3x instead of dual g5s.

The big deal with the g3x is that it helps get more value from the 430, as it can act as an interface, even if only in a limited way.

Last edited:
Interpreting tape for altitude and speed is different... Still getting used to that and still prefer analog gauges although feel like I'm may change my tune after a bit more time.

Took me exactly two flights to switch completely to the tapes, and I like it much more...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My G5 airspeed is about 3 knots less than my factory airspeed indicator. So the non certified functionality might not be up to standards.

Tom

Took me exactly two flights to switch completely to the tapes, and I like it much more...
Up until I flew a G5 I had regularly switched off between steam and glass. First time I flew a G5 it took me a few minutes to get straight in my mind which gauge is primary and which is backup, especially since the G5 altitude was 60 feet off from the original altimeter and the airspeed was a couple knots different. For a while I wasn't sure where to look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm on about 15 flights and still not used to it. To the OP, I have dual G5s and love them. I was flying at night and forgot how to brighten the screen so I had my daughter look at it and call out the heading for me. (power button - then adjust brightness)

How did you check? I compared my old altimeter with the G5 vs GPS altitude on the ground at a field with weather reporting.

It was my old altimeter that was actually off...

How did you check? I compared my old altimeter with the G5 vs GPS altitude on the ground at a field with weather reporting.

It was my old altimeter that was actually off...

I compare with field altitude, GPS altitude accuracy is 10’ so I use altitude on the approach plate. My factory altimeter is a little high as well, about 15’.

Tom

Back