RAIM Prediction Test Non WAAS GPS

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
This was introduced to me this past weekend.. Is this something that needs to be included on my IFR check list for every flight? If so, is this a check that can be done prior to take off or done once enroute?

Thanks

I believe the GPS does that during it's start up test. I know my gx60 does and there have been times where it has come up told me RAIM is not available. I cycle power and then it works.

This was introduced to me this past weekend.. Is this something that needs to be included on my IFR check list for every flight? If so, is this a check that can be done prior to take off or done once enroute?

Thanks
Depends...it would kinda suck to find out enroute that you’re not going to be able to fly the approach you planned on.

I believe the GPS does that during it's start up test. I know my gx60 does and there have been times where it has come up told me RAIM is not available. I cycle power and then it works.

Garmin 430... that is what I thought when the system boots up and you get to the third screen. Guess not.

You can do a RAIM check prior to you flight - even from home. https://sapt.faa.gov/default.php

Thanks.. found that too when I was looking it up.

Last edited:
If the gps is not waas you need to do a raim prediction. The gos has a function to check, there are online resources, and maybe Flight service can check for you.

If the gps is not waas you need to do a raim prediction. The gos has a function to check, there are online resources, and maybe Flight service can check for you.

Yes, aware of the RAIM Prediction feature on the GNS 430.

Back