New member old aviator

CockpitAlpha

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CockpitAlpha
Hello everyone

Thank you for accepting me as a new member.

I'm close to retirement age and I have been a private pilot for almost 3 decades. I got IFR, Multi Engine license and CFI,II (expired by now as many rules have changed) with over 3000 hours as PIC. Most of my hours have been in the good old Navajos (except P) many hours in C-340 and C-414 and C-421 (geared engine a hassle but the 424 is a dream to fly)

I flew mostly for my business in Western destinations as I have been living in Southern California for many years. But I also have many recreational hours and some in Europe years ago (no ferry over Atlantic) just flying with a friend's airplane all over.

I haven't touched a yoke or stick for close to a decade. Getting medical reinstated wouldn't be a problem but I don't see a need or reason as I'm not planning to stretch wings, at least not in foreseeable future.

So, why I'm here. As you know; once an aviator, always one. Even if I'm on the sidelines. I came here to be among my brothers and sisters fellow pilots. Listen to your stories, concerns and happy experiences and hopefully not many sad ones. Not that I don't want to hear them, I just know how unforgiving flying is but I take it all and just jolly to be among you.

Regarding my avatar, it's Lee Marvin, my alltime favorite actor. As s child, I had to beg my older family members to sneak me in to see his movies.

Forgive me for the long post. It has been a while. I hope the Moderators forgive me if I post this in the wrong area please change it at your convenience and discretion. Thank you.

As the second Arizona guy, welcome to the forum sir. My mama raised me to respect my elders although "close to retirement age" isn't really indicative of how old one is, I'm going to assume you're older than I am. I've retired once already and in a few years plan to retire again.

Welcome! Sounds like you have some great stories to share. Don't be bashful!
Thank you so much for welcoming me.
Of course I will share and I'm not shy and not the type. But first I need to get used to this wonderful gathering of my fellow avaitors. In time you will get tired of my blabber. Lol

As the second Arizona guy, welcome to the forum sir. My mama raised me to respect my elders although "close to retirement age" isn't really indicative of how old one is, I'm going to assume you're older than I am. I've retired once already and in a few years plan to retire again.
It's a great honor to be a neighbor to my fellow Arizona pilot. And thank you for welcoming me and I feel it coming from your heart.
Your wonderful mother has raised a gentleman just by reading between the lines. In time, I will show my real me. One's age as a number doesn't really matter. What you feel in your heart your real age and I feel not old, I still work out, pump iron and so on. But priorities change and that's the fact. My beautiful and beloved wife of over 2 decades is the core of my life and her heartfelt kindness and love keeps me young

Welcome aboard...sounds like some tales to tell!

Jim

Welcome aboard...sounds like some tales to tell!

Jim
Thank you, it's a nice feeling to be welcomed to this great gathering of aviators. Tales will come in time, i promise, you will get tired of my never- ending blabber as my beloved wife calls it. :)

Welcome to POA,your really not that old, enjoy the Forum.
Thank you for welcoming me. I never paid attention to numbers of years as aging. It's just the wobbling dance of earth around the sun and we call it a year which gets lost in the vast time-space continuum. Sorry, didn't mean to be philosophical, As a Star Trek fan, the quote just came to me. It's great to be here :)

Hello everyone

I'm close to retirement age and I have been a private pilot for almost 3 decades. I got IFR, Multi Engine license and CFI,II (expired by now as many rules have changed) with over 3000 hours as PIC. Most of my hours have been in the good old Navajos (except P) many hours in C-340 and C-414 and C-421 (geared engine a hassle but the 424 is a dream to fly)

I flew mostly for my business in Western destinations as I have been living in Southern California for many years. But I also have many recreational hours and some in Europe years ago (no ferry over Atlantic) just flying with a friend's airplane all over.

I haven't touched a yoke or stick for close to a decade. Getting medical reinstated wouldn't be a problem but I don't see a need or reason as I'm not planning to stretch wings, at least not in foreseeable future.

So, why I'm here. As you know; once an aviator, always one. Even if I'm on the sidelines. I came here to be among my brothers and sisters fellow pilots. Listen to your stories, concerns and happy experiences and hopefully not many sad ones. Not that I don't want to hear them, I just know how unforgiving flying is but I take it all and just jolly to be among you.

Regarding my avatar, it's Lee Marvin, my alltime favorite actor. As s child, I had to beg my older family members to sneak me in to see his movies.

Forgive me for the long post. It has been a while. I hope the Moderators forgive me if I post this in the wrong area please change it at your convenience and discretion. Thank you.
Welcome! I have taken the liberty of moving your post to Hangar Talk where it will probably be seen by more of our members. You had posted in the Site Feedback forum.

Welcome! I have taken the liberty of moving your post to Hangar Talk where it will probably be seen by more of our members. You had posted in the Site Feedback forum.
Thank you for correcting the forum location. In time, I will try my best to find my way around.
Please feel free to make any adjustments and corrections to my posts at anytime.

Lovely:)
I totally respect and admire your truthful response and suggestion. Every word of it is true. Just the smell of cockpit makes me tipsy. In time, I will stretch my.wings. Thank you.

Lovely:)
I totally respect and admire your truthful response and suggestion. Every word of it is true. Just the smell of cockpit makes me tipsy. In time, I will stretch my.wings. Thank you.

I'll send you some avgas soaked cardboard pieces like the ladies have at Macy's for perfume or like come in magazine adds for cologne! That aughta speed things up. One sniff and you will be at the FBO.

At what age are you retiring? Get back up to speed and go fly for a regional until you're 65. :D

At what age are you retiring? Get back up to speed and go fly for a regional until you're 65. :D

Heard somewhere......

When you stop paying for flying, you stop having fun flying.

If I can start getting paid to do it, I'll let you know. :D

When I finish my current project, I plan on finishing my commercial CFI. That's about all I would do. You can keep the big iron. Unless they are starting in low 6 figures, ain't worth my time.

Welcome. And enjoy the honeymoon.

I'm sure it wont take too many posts before you'll start feeling less welcome.

One wrong word and this forum can be a very tough crowd

Reported! Enjoy your vacation,,,

Reported! Enjoy your vacation,,,
I have been in and out of "forum correction facilities" many times, they tried to."correct" these old bones. Noope, tough skin :) :) they failed. Only remedy to correct this individual: public execution.by firing squad. :( :(

Welcome. And enjoy the honeymoon.

Thank you for welcoming, I feel among friends.

Regarding one wrong word. I just repeat the above.
I have been in and out of "forum correction facilities" many times, they tried to."correct" these old bones. Noope, tough skin :) :)they failed. Only remedy to correct this individual: public execution.by firing squad. :(:(

Nice to have your note.Thank you
I'm a bit shy regarding age, let's say I retire b with Saturn years:)

Welcome sir!
Thank you for welcoming me, we can drop the "Sir" part. I go with Tom.
Also, I used to have the name "Acegunner" and still do in some circles. I just have respect and attraction mixed with some envy for sharp shooters, nice avatar. :)

I just want to thank you all who are offering me heartfelt warm welcomes.
Hello everyone

I thank you all who are offering me heartfelt warm welcomes. Thank you. Please forgive me if I forgot or missed to respond to your kindness. The welcomes are real, aviators have free souls and they usually speak.from the heart. I feel the warmth of your welcoming messages as an old aviator. I feel.your pure kindness. Thank you for allowing me to be among you. It feels great and I think we have a lot of fun ahead of us.

I'm still trying to figure out the "chat" part which mostly looks like morse code, but I get there. Sorry of I missed any "chats" No worries, I will encode in time.

I get posts regarding the "age" stuff, I'm not as old as my avatar looks like. I just go by Saturn years,

NDB approaches with one of the two engines out at minimum visibility in rain will be our next project..;) :) oh, I almost forgot, pitot tube is aced over. That is gonna be fun without GPS and we left all our smart phones and handheld GPS devices at home. :( :( time to pray...

Late to the party, but welcome to PoA. There are more than a few "oldsters" here, and some of us septuagenarians that have survived and still have all our marbles see it as something to celebrate and not be shy about. :)

What are Saturn years?

<---- not a Trekie
I just knew 29 years and it was just a wishful thinking to be 29 years old again, no offence of course. And no specific reason.

But I just got this from Google:
"With an average orbital speed of 9.69 km/s, it takes Saturn 29.457 Earth years (or 10,759 Earth days) to complete a single revolution around the Sun. In other words, a year on Saturn lasts about as long as 29.5 years here on Earth"
Being Trekie or not Trekie isn't important. It's just matter of taste for entertainment. I personally like SiFi movies such as Star Trek, Star Wars and so on.

Late to the party, but welcome to PoA. There are more than a few "oldsters" here, and some of us septuagenarians that have survived and still have all our marbles see it as something to celebrate and not be shy about. :)

Dear Mr Stan Cooper, Sir
First, thank you for your heartfelt welcoming messages. I had to look up the the word "septuagenarians" and thank you for the new word added to the vocabulary of this illiterate individual. I'm not there yet but eventually in a decade or so which is nothing between fellow aviators friends. And yes we got to treasure those marbles. It's a great a honor Sir to have received your welcoming note. I can just tell what a gentleman you're Sir and I hope to be worthy of being your wingman.

Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you have some experiences to share. The POA forum can be a crazy bunch at times but overall a good experience and camaraderie.

On age....I see it as just a number, and you have to have a number to play in the game.

Back