Hawaii Tour Helicopter Fatal Crash

"Debris over a large area" sounds like mechanical failure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not an unusual event in Hawaii. One a trip there visiting a friend the were 2 in a couple weeks.

No helo’s, no sky diving. Single point of failure...

No helo’s, no sky diving. Single point of failure...

How is that any different from a single-engine airplane? I've heard them called a collection of potential single points of failure . . . .

How is that any different from a single-engine airplane? I've heard them called a collection of potential single points of failure . . . .

Worse case, it’s a bad glider. Or, for those with a Cirrus, you can pick between glider or parachutist...

Helicopter turns into a broken lawnmower at 3,000 feet. No options.

Always a caveat of course. A helo ought to be able to autorotate while a plane could fail at the “Jesus bolt”. But for me... no helos or skydiving!

Your comment reminds me of a joke about twins. If you lose an engine, the other one will fly you to the scene of the crash. Maybe joke isn’t the right word!

Not an unusual event in Hawaii.

Which should make us all the more concerned. Rather than apathetic and accepting.
Repeat fatal activities = much worse than a one-off. In my book.

Worse case, it’s a bad glider. Or, for those with a Cirrus, you can pick between glider or parachutist...

Helicopter turns into a broken lawnmower at 3,000 feet. No options.

Always a caveat of course. A helo ought to be able to autorotate while a plane could fail at the “Jesus bolt”. But for me... no helos or skydiving!

Your comment reminds me of a joke about twins. If you lose an engine, the other one will fly you to the scene of the crash. Maybe joke isn’t the right word!
It’s no different in an airplane. If the wing attach bolt fails you’re done. Nothing you can do put put your hands up a say weeeeee just like at six flags. It feels safer to you but it’s not.

Not an unusual event in Hawaii. One a trip there visiting a friend the were 2 in a couple weeks.
It's somewhat more unusual than once a week; I find only four other fatal helicopter crashes in the past decade, for any reason, anywhere in Hawaii.

It's somewhat more unusual than once a week; I find only four other fatal helicopter crashes in the past decade, for any reason, anywhere in Hawaii.

I even recall a helicopter in Hawaii that lost its tail rotor and still landed safely. Big island. Kept up his forward speed as he descended and landed safely at KOA. Heard about this from the CFI I was flying with out of KOA back in 2007.

I even recall a helicopter in Hawaii that lost its tail rotor and still landed safely. Big island. Kept up his forward speed as he descended and landed safely at KOA. Heard about this from the CFI I was flying with out of KOA back in 2007.
That is not unheard of if the pilot knows the E.P.

Back