April 28 and Still Preheating

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
April 28, 30F this morning and I'm still preheating before I fly...:( I sure wish spring would get here. High today is expected to be 60F, I think that's the first time this year we have hit 60.

I guess I should not complain light winds and CLR sky. Heater stopped working in the hangar 2 weeks ago and I still need to sort that out... It's 15' up so not real easy to get to. Rented an "A" frame ladder to check out the problem and once I got up there I said to myself "not a good idea, if I fall I'll hit the wing and mess that up as well as myself". Climbed down and returned the ladder..
Borrowed a fork lift and plan on working off a pallet, only thing it's a 2 man operation.

Oh well guess I'll go start the preheat and worry about the heater later. It's going to be a beautiful morning to fly....:)

I would have loved to get up yesterday. Had a little mission to fly that would have been fun to help a friend. But the winds and turbulence would have torn the 182 apart in NE PA. Winds at base were 20 G30 but down the runway. But KPNE was sustained 30 with a big crosswind component with their big runway out. Trips would have been too short to get up top to smooth air. Head banging at 5k no thanks!!! Winds aloft were screaming at low altitudes.

Got 3" of snow here in WI yesterday. Engine is firmly plugged it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_182144.jpg
    IMG_20190427_182144.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 15
Here's the view from my front porch this morning. High winds and blowing wet spring snow yesterday. Temps below freezing forecast for every night this coming week. I wish this winter would end. This wasn't quite the "climate change" thing I was expecting... :mad:

P.S. Bill, rent a scissor lift with a proper platform to work from. It's not worth the risk of a fall from that height to a concrete floor to be screwing around with makeshift apparatus. Pilot decision making, and all that. :)

April 28 19.JPG

I thought real Alaskans didn’t start preheating til it was 30 below.

I'm a transplant, but have been here for 25 years..:)

Preheating at 30?

Just something I do, preheat at or below 32. Engine starts quicker with warm oil, my o-320 is cold blooded.

I would have loved to get up yesterday. Had a little mission to fly that would have been fun to help a friend. But the winds and turbulence would have torn the 182 apart in NE PA. Winds at base were 20 G30 but down the runway. But KPNE was sustained 30 with a big crosswind component with their big runway out. Trips would have been too short to get up top to smooth air. Head banging at 5k no thanks!!! Winds aloft were screaming at low altitudes.

Sorry to hear, hope the wind die down for you.

P.S. Bill, rent a scissor lift with a proper platform to work from. It's not worth the risk of a fall from that height to a concrete floor to be screwing around with makeshift apparatus. Pilot decision making, and all that. :)

I agree. Using a forklift and a pallet is another recipe for disaster. (especially at your age...:lol::lol:) In northwest Alaska, using a forklift and pallet is usually followed by calling 911, followed by people trying to find the ambulance driver is...and then he forgets the keys....

I didn't know Juneau got cold in the winter.......:lol::lol:

I agree. Using a forklift and a pallet is another recipe for disaster. (especially at your age...:lol::lol:) In northwest Alaska, using a forklift and pallet is usually followed by calling 911, followed by people trying to find the ambulance driver is...and then he forgets the keys....

I didn't know Juneau got cold in the winter.......:lol::lol:
I feel better working off a pallet than a ladder. I think one of the part 135 folks have a pallet with side rails they use, I'll have to go ask to borrow it.

Correct, Juneau's weather is very mild. Winter temps rarely get below 10F, at my age I'm just turning into a p****y ....:rolleyes:

Can never hurt to pre heat, sorry about the hangar heater, go enjoy your flight.

This weekend the temps in Denver are in the 70s...snow forecast for Monday. I don't send the good wool clothes or down jacket to the cleaners (pack away for summer) until June.

I understand that..... I hit 60 two weeks ago and am second guessing if I want to return to northwest Ak or not...
Go for it, you only live once, and if you don't go you will not anything to complain about...:)

Go for it, you only live once, and if you don't go you will not anything to complain about...:)

I spent 4 winters in Kotz, 1 in the village formerly known as Barrow, 1 in Bethel and 1 in Fairbanks so I already know what there is to complain about..!!! :lol::lol:

There's no such thing as climate change. There's no such thing as climate change. There's no such thing as climate change.

Got 3" of snow here in WI yesterday.

Sorry... That was my fault.

I left my snowblower on my tractor and I thought that would allow spring to continue, but...

I removed the oil cooler restrictor plate from my airplane last week. I mean, it was 78 freakin' degrees out. But I did it with the hangar door open, and Wisconsin saw me. My bad.

April 30 and the only reason we're not plowing the new 6" of snow is because it was 70°F on Sunday and the pavement was warm enough to melt off.

April 28, 30F this morning and I'm still preheating before I fly...:( I sure wish spring would get here. High today is expected to be 60F, I think that's the first time this year we have hit 60.

When we visited Alaska in 2003 we were told that the four seasons were (1) Almost winter; (2) Winter; (3) Still winter; and (4) Tourists.

We'll be there again next week to check it out. :)

Update on hangar heater repair. Well built a platform to work off of fork lift side rail and all. To make a long story shorter. The fuel relief was corroded in place. Fuel pressure should be 100 psi. I used a 160psi gauge and it pegged it, broke my gauge now reads 20psi unloaded...:(
Removed pump got relief pop-it out honed bore and cleaned pop-it. Assembled and set fuel pressure to 100 psi, heater runs great...:)

Back