Autorotation

Oddly enough, a full auto to level ground seems like it would be easier than a power recovery...but since insurance won't cover it...I've never done a full auto. But since almost every flight involves a practice auto I'm confident of success in the event I'd have to use that extra few feet.

One thing I absolutely hate in the R22 are hovering autos.

Oddly enough, a full auto to level ground seems like it would be easier than a power recovery...but since insurance won't cover it...I've never done a full auto. But since almost every flight involves a practice auto I'm confident of success in the event I'd have to use that extra few feet.

One thing I absolutely hate in the R22 are hovering autos.
What do you not like about them?

My right arm likes to flinch when my brain knows I'm about to cut the power. And the smallest flinch in a light helicopter like that...

My right arm likes to flinch when my brain knows I'm about to cut the power. And the smallest flinch in a light helicopter like that...

Don't know what to tell you except get all the practice you can. Kind of like shooting a pistol. I don't do it enough and usually flinch the first dozen or so rounds. Then it's time to settle down.

The Huey and Kiowa spoiled me, I guess. Absolutely loved doing hovering autos in the old H model. Sweet, gentle helicopter. Fortunately it was on the Army's payroll at the time.

I have had two engine failures both at a hover and executed hovering autos...you don’t flinch when it just happens...one in a TH-55 in primary in flight school and one ran out of fuel in an AH-1 In the FARP...the TH-55 the engine ate itself and initially had to convince the IP that I did not roll off the throttle and the Cobra was just being chalk six for fuel with us all landing fuel critical...I did get my first UH-1 ride on “Flatiron” to Lister Army Hospital and a urine/blood draw but only after getting in another -55 to complete my end stage check ride.

I have had two engine failures both at a hover and executed hovering autos...you don’t flinch when it just happens...one in a TH-55 in primary in flight school and one ran out of fuel in an AH-1 In the FARP...the TH-55 the engine ate itself and initially had to convince the IP that I did not roll off the throttle and the Cobra was just being chalk six for fuel with us all landing fuel critical...I did get my first UH-1 ride on “Flatiron” to Lister Army Hospital and a urine/blood draw but only after getting in another -55 to complete my end stage check ride.

My one and only Huey ride was “Flatiron.” Just a main mod chip light. No need for Lyster.

you don’t flinch when it just happens...

Exactly. And the kicker is, it's such a small amount that you don't notice in anything bigger, even in an R44 it's completely unnoticeable. But hold a steady hover in something that moves if someone on the ramp sneezes, then tell your brain to roll off the throttle...and by the way, self, don't do anything stupid.

It's such a small tick that it took forever for the CFI to figure out what was causing the problem back in the day. It's a brain-hand thing, and really is the smallest of ticks. The only way to overcome it is to intentionally flinch in the opposite direction to neutralize the movement to null. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

Hovering autos shouldn’t be to the ground either. Dangerous!

Hovering autos in the TH-55 were super easy and comfortable, like an extension of your body. UH-1H was like playing a violin while wearing welding gloves. That balance bar nonsense made it a chore...

... with one tube focused on the N1 gauge. (True!)

Heard you can get walleye vision from doing that. :D Seems like it would create a heck of a headache though.

Hovering autos in the TH-55 were super easy and comfortable, like an extension of your body. UH-1H was like playing a violin while wearing welding gloves. That balance bar nonsense made it a chore...
Once you get lead and lag harmonized with your eyeballs it's a piece of cake :biggrin:. OTOH, I would be hesitant to strap on a TH-55 and fly it in front of anybody I knew. Never had to but I heard it was very squirrelly.

Heard you can get walleye vision from doing that. :D Seems like it would create a heck of a headache though.

Yeah, that's what everyone said.

I did it many years later with ANVIS-6 goggles and it worked great! No headaches and fully focused vision inside and out...

From AOPA Autorotation article. "Surprise throttle cuts are especially critical because they can startle students and cause them to make sudden incorrect control movements."

This just sounds like **** poor training to me. If you don't have it ingrained in your brain to reduce collective at the first sign of power reduction, you're lacking as a helicopter pilot.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until they develop a helicopter that can warn me prior to an engine faliure...

"Waring... your engine will fail in 5 seconds... Please expect a power loss and don't be retarded and increase collective.

PJ

Back