ADS-B rebate nightmare

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I have purchased and had installed the necessary equipment for ADS-B 20/20 conformance. I have made the validation flight and received a PAPR report showing everything passes with no problem. For some reason I did not receive the GAIRS report along with the PAPR report. Therefore I have no incentive code to submit my claim for the rebate. Why would the FAA send one report without the other? I can not find any information on how to obtain the GAIRS report. All I can see is they were both supposed to come at the same time in the return email from the FAA but they did not. I now have a perfectly capable airplane with ADS-B in and out and no way to collect the $500 rebate. Does anybody out there have any ideas on getting a copy of the GAIRS. Thanks.

Call you congress person's office; be brief, concise, and be polite. Come off as "aggrieved", but not maniacal. Follow-up with the person you talked to with an email. Let them do the leg work. If you're registered to vote, and voted last election, they'll likely make a polite call to the FAA on your behalf.

Or, call the FAA and let it fall through the cracks, get lost, ignored, etc. Rinse, repeat; spend a lot of time on hold, phone tress, and futile emails. Eventually, after enough of your time and energy (in excess of $500 worth) has been spent, you'll probably get it sorted, unless the $$$ is all spent by then.

Call the FAA's ADS-B phone number or better send them an email to the ADS-B email address with your issue. The FAA has been very responsive and courteous helping the GA community get their rebates. I'm sure someone cynical here will say something else, however several people I know have had good success just contacting them directly asking for help.

-David

Yes..........The GAIRS report is often missing, even with the "proper" website submission. The good news is that the eMail service is excellent, and they will process you without it. I was shocked at how fast they responded!!
I had the same problem. Jesse Saint is somehow a god amongst men with regards to submitting the same info to the same website and getting a GAIRS report when others can not. Ask him. But you will get it one way or another and the FAA really do respond to the emails very fast.

Be ready to have a copy of your 337 and/or printed or emailed invoice for the ADSB unit to send to them for confirmation (I used the invoice l packing slip that came in my shipping box for my skybeacon). They will ask for that and it only takes a few minutes to email it to them and get a response that the check is on the way after that.

Call the FAA's ADS-B phone number or better send them an email to the ADS-B email address with your issue. The FAA has been very responsive and courteous helping the GA community get their rebates. I'm sure someone cynical here will say something else, however several people I know have had good success just contacting them directly asking for help.

-David
They helped me get the rebate. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the support was. I got an automated email that the test flight failed and it would be reviewed. I later got an approval without the incentive code. They walked me through all the steps - including telling me I was using a different email address than I registered with. They were very helpful and I got the rebate check. If you need the email address, let me know - I will check it when I get home.

I finally got this taken care of. I sent a message to the FAA email which they acknowledged. They looked into my flight record from the PAPR report and just told me to go ahead and claim my rebate without the GAIRS report incentive code. I was able to use my rebate reservation code number instead. All in all the FAA was very helpful, but I hope they can rectify the problem with PAPR reports going out but not GAIRS. I believe that is creating a lot of unnecessary confusion among the flying public.

Back